Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GolferPGA

Pretending to be a Tour Player

Note: This thread is 1077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

176 posts / 13899 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I am going to start combining answers because you are limited to 9 posts in first 24 hrs. I will be back tomorrow Nicest perk of being on tour is definitely getting to play such beautiful golf courses. My regular off day consist of going to the putting green and rolling putts. I do 3 footers straight uphill (Get the confidence up) 7 footers (Those are the ones that win golf tournaments) 15 footers and 40 footers. Do 3 sets of 10 of those with the 3 and 7 footers needed to be holed and 15 and 40 footers to be tap ins. Then hit 30 balls, playing the front nine of a particular course in my head. On occasion will play 18 with a twist (4 iron off tee) (80% swings) etc Good Questions...

 

No Hacker thats not me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

This is a neat thread!

I see you're limited on number of posts, but I have a few questions. What's your "usual" set makeup? I know it can change depending on the course you are playing. What putter and driver do you favor, and what's your average distance hitting the driver. Guys (and ladies) just hit it so stupid long these days.

And I really liked your comment about the nicest perk is getting to play great courses. Thank you! The first time I attended the WGC Bridgestone in Akron I arrived well before the first tee times, so I decided to just walk the course. I was out about as far from the clubhouse as you can get and there was absolutely no one around. So, I did what any golf addled maniac would do. I ducked under the ropes, ran out to the middle of the fairway, fell to my knees and rubbed my hands over that  grass! All the while thinking, "Jeez, I putt greens that aren't this nice!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, GolferPGA said:

I am going to start combining answers because you are limited to 9 posts in first 24 hrs. I will be back tomorrow Nicest perk of being on tour is definitely getting to play such beautiful golf courses. My regular off day consist of going to the putting green and rolling putts. I do 3 footers straight uphill (Get the confidence up) 7 footers (Those are the ones that win golf tournaments) 15 footers and 40 footers. Do 3 sets of 10 of those with the 3 and 7 footers needed to be holed and 15 and 40 footers to be tap ins. Then hit 30 balls, playing the front nine of a particular course in my head. On occasion will play 18 with a twist (4 iron off tee) (80% swings) etc Good Questions...

 

No Hacker thats not me. 

didn't think so. Lennie was a real grinder, he placed within the top ten, but never won a major. He had a good showing years ago at Torrey where he was in 2nd place for a spell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I switched Drivers a couple times last year. Right now I am on the M1 from Taylormade. Love it. Soft, muted sound. I normally play around with Taylormade Ghost Putters. I hit the ball 295 on average. 

The rule I hate the most is the rule for dropping when a fan picks up a golf ball. Like what happened to Kevin Chappell this year at East Lake. If a fan picks up my ball, that's fine. No worries, but allow me to place it. I shouldn't have to drop it like I hit a bad shot, much like a lateral hazard. 

I also don't agree with the fines for cursing. PGA golfers are human. We hit bad shots, we do other things than golf, and we curse. Imagine the foul things you would hear if we put microphones to NFL players. Some people might not agree with me on this but I don't think it is fair to put microphones on us in high pressure situations and then fine us when we let off steam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you decide on your caddie? Did you know him before you made the tour. What a lucky guy he is. What do you expect of him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had numerous caddies on tour. Unfortunately, sometimes we didn't see eye to eye, but he was probably the only guy on the course rooting for me. I expect him to provide me with confidence when I need it. And respect as I will to him. But sometimes you have to try new options. But I always made sure that we departed on solid terms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it interesting that you like a soft, muted sound off the Driver. I play a TM R9 that sounds like a rifle going off! Reminds me of balata coming off a persimmon head, but then I'm an old fart so I suppose I should like that!

And I agree with you about the cussing! Shut the damn mikes off! Near here is a country club that sits on the shore of fair size impoundment that used to be a "pay to fish" lake. My buddy found a hot walleye fishing spot, and described its location in this way. "You go straight out from the pump house to where you can barely hear the golfers cussing on the course, and there it is!" He didn't play golf, but he knew darn well that golfers cuss!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, GolferPGA said:

I have had numerous caddies on tour. Unfortunately, sometimes we didn't see eye to eye, but he was probably the only guy on the course rooting for me. I expect him to provide me with confidence when I need it. And respect as I will to him. But sometimes you have to try new options. But I always made sure that we departed on solid terms. 

Class act for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GolferPGA said:

 

The rule I hate the most is the rule for dropping when a fan picks up a golf ball. Like what happened to Kevin Chappell this year at East Lake. If a fan picks up my ball, that's fine. No worries, but allow me to place it. I shouldn't have to drop it like I hit a bad shot, much like a lateral hazard. 

 

Why do you think that a fan deflecting, or picking up a ball should be treated differently than interference from any other outside agency?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, GolferPGA said:

Favorite food is lobster. Nothing like a little Bacardi after a long day. With responsibility of course. 

Grilled Lobster makes my top 3 favorite foods. Not a huge Bacardi fan, but I have been know to have a few Makers Mark and lemonade more than I probably should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David, to be 1000% honest with you, I never really read a rule book anymore. If the situation occurs, I call over a rules official. I just used Chappell's case because he could have dropped it in a spot that could have been much worse than it was. And I think that he should be allowed to place the ball at a location no nearer to the hole (Even though he was 250+ out I believe) It creates too much of a wildcard, if you will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, GolferPGA said:

David, to be 1000% honest with you, I never really read a rule book anymore. If the situation occurs, I call over a rules official. I just used Chappell's case because he could have dropped it in a spot that could have been much worse than it was. And I think that he should be allowed to place the ball at a location no nearer to the hole (Even though he was 250+ out I believe) It creates too much of a wildcard, if you will. 

How does dropping create more of a "wildcard" than the result of any golf shot where you have no control over the lie that results?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...