IGNORED

Pretending to be a Tour Player

GolferPGA
Note: This thread is 2724 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am a player on the PGA tour. And today I will be doing an AMA. Please know that the questions have to be reasonable and appropriate. But other than that, fire away!

BTW, huge fan of The Sand Trap!

Mod Note: This individual has not verified his identity and, given what we know, is highly unlikely to be who he said. Take everything below with many, many grains of salt.

• Upvote 1

What is your name?

How did you qualify for the PGA Tour?

Why aren't you playing at the Tour stop right now?

How much do you pay your caddie?

Who is your instructor(s)?

• Upvote 4

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

Anything but the name... Not sure if allowed to do this from PGA Tour

Q School 

It is my week off from tournaments

2000 each week and 20% of potential earnings.

Train and instructed at Sea Island Golf Performance Center in Georgia. 

Edited by GolferPGA

MacDutch and Patrick, to answer both your questions I like to play with Patrick Rodgers the most on tour because we have very similar games, so strategically I learn a lot from his shots. 

I tend to stick to myself on tour, and we are all pretty friendly (Except for a few). I guess Kokrak to answer your question though. Hits it a mile and I always compliment him on it, so we get along well. 

How many years on tour?

Lowest score in PGA Event?

Favorite Tournament to play in?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Do you have a key swing thought for the day?  Do you banish thoughts and just try to swing smooth/aggressive/other adjective?

How do you approach hitting other than your stock shot?  For example, your stock shot with an iron is a small draw, but for whatever combination of reasons you decide you need to hit a low fade approach.  What changes in your routine?  What are you thinking about?  How reluctant are you to try a non-stock shot at all?

What's your favorite shot/club?  Why?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

What's the nicest perk about being on Tour?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

(edited)

I don't like to go to the course with swing thoughts. That's for the range. I am a strong believer in the expression "Dance with the Girl that brung ya" So if your stock shot is a draw, you play a draw. That is what Cody Gribble on web.com tour did and Woodland (5 Years ago I think) at Greenbrier. Gribble had a shot that required a fade, for him and he hit his draw because he was comfortable with it. It cost him, but you live and die with the bullet. Same with Woodland, he had to make birdie on 18th and tried to hit a pw 163. He came up short, but no one in my opinion goes after irons harder than Gary. They both played shots that they were comfortable with and it cost them, but I bet they are glad that they didn't try something else and think what if. Very Good Question MDL. 

If the shot absolutely requires a certain shot shape, (Which it rarely does absolutely require) I take the shortest club that can get it there and hit. At least by taking a low club, it makes me commit in a way to the shot.

Edited by GolferPGA

reminds me of an old associate of mine who was married to a former Tour Player. I do not know his status today. The associate's name is Jan Clements.  I believe that they are both selling real estate now in Coronado, CA.  But, I guess this is not really a question, but merely an observation. oh wait a minute...okay..here's one:  "Did you ever play (as a pro) at the Desert Inn Course, in Las Vegas?"

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 2724 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!