Sign in to follow this  
GolferPGA

Pretending to be a Tour Player

Note: This thread is 1134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

176 posts / 14058 viewsLast Reply

So I am a player on the PGA tour. And today I will be doing an AMA. Please know that the questions have to be reasonable and appropriate. But other than that, fire away!

BTW, huge fan of The Sand Trap!

Mod Note: This individual has not verified his identity and, given what we know, is highly unlikely to be who he said. Take everything below with many, many grains of salt.

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

What is your name?

How did you qualify for the PGA Tour?

Why aren't you playing at the Tour stop right now?

How much do you pay your caddie?

Who is your instructor(s)?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anything but the name... Not sure if allowed to do this from PGA Tour

Q School 

It is my week off from tournaments

2000 each week and 20% of potential earnings.

Train and instructed at Sea Island Golf Performance Center in Georgia. 

Edited by GolferPGA

can you five us your Initials, so we can guess who you may or may not be. What is your best PGA tournament finish and what tournement was it. Thanks

Which tourplayer do you like the most as playing together during a pga tour round and why? 

MacDutch and Patrick, to answer both your questions I like to play with Patrick Rodgers the most on tour because we have very similar games, so strategically I learn a lot from his shots. 

I tend to stick to myself on tour, and we are all pretty friendly (Except for a few). I guess Kokrak to answer your question though. Hits it a mile and I always compliment him on it, so we get along well. 

Do you have a key swing thought for the day?  Do you banish thoughts and just try to swing smooth/aggressive/other adjective?

How do you approach hitting other than your stock shot?  For example, your stock shot with an iron is a small draw, but for whatever combination of reasons you decide you need to hit a low fade approach.  What changes in your routine?  What are you thinking about?  How reluctant are you to try a non-stock shot at all?

What's your favorite shot/club?  Why?

I don't like to go to the course with swing thoughts. That's for the range. I am a strong believer in the expression "Dance with the Girl that brung ya" So if your stock shot is a draw, you play a draw. That is what Cody Gribble on web.com tour did and Woodland (5 Years ago I think) at Greenbrier. Gribble had a shot that required a fade, for him and he hit his draw because he was comfortable with it. It cost him, but you live and die with the bullet. Same with Woodland, he had to make birdie on 18th and tried to hit a pw 163. He came up short, but no one in my opinion goes after irons harder than Gary. They both played shots that they were comfortable with and it cost them, but I bet they are glad that they didn't try something else and think what if. Very Good Question MDL. 

If the shot absolutely requires a certain shot shape, (Which it rarely does absolutely require) I take the shortest club that can get it there and hit. At least by taking a low club, it makes me commit in a way to the shot.

Edited by GolferPGA

reminds me of an old associate of mine who was married to a former Tour Player. I do not know his status today. The associate's name is Jan Clements.  I believe that they are both selling real estate now in Coronado, CA.  But, I guess this is not really a question, but merely an observation. oh wait a minute...okay..here's one:  "Did you ever play (as a pro) at the Desert Inn Course, in Las Vegas?"

Note: This thread is 1134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!