IGNORED

My new Callaway gear is awesome !!!

Note: This thread is 2691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just got some Apex pros and the XR driver and 3 wood . Man Callaway has got it going on right now. I love their stuff, all the way down to the Chrome Soft ball. Starting to sound like a commercial. Im done now. It is good stuff. Hit Em Good Yall !!!!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried out a bunch of drivers this past season and the Callaway XR-16 was the one I settled on, I love it. I am also playing Callaway wedges now, the PM grinds for the 56 and 60 and just a standard 52 and love them. I have been very impressed with their feel and the results I get with them too. I am going to be picking up the XR 3 wood this winter as I need a 15* instead of my 17* 3 wood. I know when the time for new irons come where I'll be starting my search, love the feel! 

• Upvote 1

The Apex irons are great. Im a club longer through the bag compared to my old irons. The Apex CF 16 are awesome and they look great too. Steel Head are nice but the Apex CF or Pro are the best to me. You will love the XR 3 wood. Surgical like Stenson i mean !!!!!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

Won a new Callaway MD3 gap wedge (50*) as a door prize at a Gateway PGA fall clearance sale.

I had already picked up an MD3 48*, plus an MD-PM 60* (high toe, U-grind). Hopefully, I can work out a swap for an MD3 54*.12 W-grind sole.

I want to simplify my wedge game by going 48 + 54 + 60. I formerly had four wedges with 4 degree gaps, but seemed to have several matrix cells with yardage overlaps.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Callaway just called - I can get $45 trade-in for a brand new, unhit MD3 wedge. Oh, well...

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm big on Callaway Drivers and Fairways -- the XR16 lineup is a big help for normal golfers. I ventured offline with the BB Fusion and it has possibilities - a bit lower spin, lower launch than XR16 and less draw biased - still dialing it in ...

And then they have the EPIC in January and the deal is that it used the  Fusion skeleton but they've tied the sole and crown together for more rigidity leading to more ballspeed (JailBreak Tech) - so with the EPIC you've got the Fusion composite and skeleton, the R Moto face, the XR16 aerodynamics -- and the JailBreak Tech for speedier, better players (probably 2-4 mph depending on the golfer from postings) - I think the deal is ballspeed retention for off center hits for better consistency.

Coming soon...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Good news. Found someone who would swap out my MD3 50* (door prize) for an MD3  54*/12 SW.

This will give me my 48 / 54 / 60 mix.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to hit the Epic a few weeks back when a rep brought a couple to my club.  They are no joke.  I had a Xhot and a Great Big Bertha ('13 edition) and really liked those.  Since then, I've been swinging a Cobra Fly Z.  Love this thing, never thought I'd want another driver til I hit the Epic.  It's got similar technology as the new 917 from Titeliest, but instead of having a power bar going across the face from heel to toe, it has two bars going down from the crown to the sole.  Acts almost like rebarb for concrete.  Ball jumps off face.  Similar feel as Fusion.  Can't wait for this thing to come out, may have to start saving now!!

• 3 weeks later...

Our club pro brought the base Epic driver into Saturday morning coffee today. It had the Fuji Speeder 665 Evolution II TS S-flex shaft in it. (I have the R-flex version in my X16 Pro driver).

EpicGBB.jpgHe had been involved in Callaway tests of the prototypes. Epic marketing promos estimate players will pick up 5 MPH clubhead speed (or +10 yards distance) over their current drivers. The tests involved baseline shots with the golfer's current driver head and shaft, and (if a current Callaway user), comparison shots with the Epic head on the golfer's current driver shaft. He said that both scratch golfers and mid-HDCP players picked up about 5 MPH.

Some picked up more when they did a mix-and-match with different shafts the Callaway guys had brought.

Our pro has the base Epic model for people to try at the club, plus talked about Epic Sub-Zero variant for golfers who want really low spin. Sub-Zero has movable sole weights similar to the BB Alpha 815.

Tidbits online note that a third model, the Epic Star, is also coming. January entry expected. @Mr. Desmond offers a concise summary of the technology.

On 11/8/2016 at 8:22 AM, Mr. Desmond said:

And then they have the EPIC in January and the deal is that it used the  Fusion skeleton but they've tied the sole and crown together for more rigidity leading to more ballspeed (JailBreak Tech) - so with the EPIC you've got the Fusion composite and skeleton, the R Moto face, the XR16 aerodynamics -- and the JailBreak Tech for speedier, better players (probably 2-4 mph depending on the golfer from postings) - I think the deal is ballspeed retention for off center hits for better consistency.

The Jailbreak Technology involves the two bars behind the clubface (see above, courtesy GolfWRX) which @IAmCota mentions. The bars help stabilize the clubface. 

On 11/21/2016 at 0:14 PM, IAmCota said:

It's got similar technology as the new 917 from Titleist, but instead of having a power bar going across the face from heel to toe, it has two bars going down from the crown to the sole.

Callaway reports that all its tour pros will be using either Epic or Epic Sub-Zero in the upcoming season.

• Upvote 1

We are getting 2 Epics as demos for our shop.  It'll be interesting to try out.  Although I'd need a x-stiff and we'll only have stiff and regular.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Agreed, I've played the big bertha irons for the past year, am 6 games into my new Big Bertha driver, and I love it. My game is improving, and I'm shipping them to Scotland next year for a few weeks. 

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

The Callaway Rep visted my instructor's facility. I was not there, but when taking a lesson, I asked if he'd heard about it. "Oh, sure, we put it through the paces, about 4-5 guys, and everyone was getting 3-4 more mph of ballspeed, including me." And he plays TM.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Callaway makes top of the line stuff. I however find Callaway to charge a premium for their name and that drives me nuts. So I don't buy their stuff. I find there are way too many options in the market to pay higher than avg. prices.

With that said, if they fit your game and really like them, then it is money well spent. 

Enjoy them.

Edited by Hategolf

On 04/11/2016 at 10:30 AM, awmgolfer said:

I am going to be picking up the XR 3 wood this winter as I need a 15* instead of my 17* 3 wood.

@awmgolfer just out of interest why the change?

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

I really like the feel of the XR 3 wood and I would like to have a 3 wood that matches my driver setup for consistency in feel, just something I like to have. I also would like a little lower degree 3 wood along with a shaft adjustment which would give me a few extra yards as the 3 wood I have goes a bit too high for my liking. A few shots on my home course my current 3 wood puts me in some funky positions and driver just isn't the right club for those holes. The extra 7-10 yards puts me right in the sweet spot which is what I was hitting the XR 3 wood compared to my current older Ping 3 wood.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!