IGNORED

You have one shot and must succeed. What would it be?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You have one shot and must succeed. What would it be?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a member of a golf “team.” You have one shot to contribute and must succeed. What would it be?

• Driver off the tee into the fairway
    • Fairway wood over a cross hazard to a designated layup area on a par 5
    • 7-iron approach somewhere on the green
    • 100-yard wedge shot to within 18 feet of hole
    • 8-foot putt, downhill, slightly right breaking
    • 10 yard sand shot to within 5 feet

15 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

...says the single-digit golfer. Welcome to my world. :beer:. Seriously @Lihu, you don't ever hook tee shots of bounds?

Sure, but if it's truly OB then I would have to re-tee the shot. If it were "findable" then I'd be apt to declare something lost that deep in the woods "unplayable" right from the tee box. :-D

Back on topic, there's a significant statistical difference between my 7i and my 6. There's also a significant difference between the yardage I use my 7i for and what others do. For that matter, my stats for making an 8' putts are far lower than 33%. Everyone's game is different.

11 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I would take that bet everyday and twice on Sundays. You're overestimating your ability to hit a GIR from 150. I don't have the stats handy, @iacas may, but PGA pros are not as good as you think. I suspect your 50% estimate is way too high. I'm a good putter and would put a whole lot more faith in a simple 8 footer than a 150 yard approach shot. The putt doesn't have to deal with wind, lie and variable contact. 

Most people overestimate their 150 yard distance accuracy, but I suppose if you had ginormous greens maybe hitting the greens would be easier? Then you'd also likely have 100 foot lag putts or something equally ridiculous to contend with. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I would take that bet everyday and twice on Sundays. You're overestimating your ability to hit a GIR from 150. I don't have the stats handy, @iacas may, but PGA pros are not as good as you think. I suspect your 50% estimate is way too high. I'm a good putter and would put a whole lot more faith in a simple 8 footer than a 150 yard approach shot. The putt doesn't have to deal with wind, lie and variable contact. 

You must play with me a lot... :-).

49 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Don't get me wrong, I love 8 footers too.. super easy 2 putt all day baby..:-D

Vishal S.

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 0:35 PM, p1n9183 said:

Damm, im out of the team

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 0:38 PM, RussUK said:

Lol, well you could be in charge of team morale then :-D

that's what Tiger did at the Ryder Cup :-P

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

You're overestimating your ability to hit a GIR from 150. ...I suspect your 50% estimate is way too high.

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Most people overestimate their 150 yard distance accuracy

First, the question wasn't a 150 yd shot. Second, quoting PGA stats to determine if someone is wrong about what shot they'd choose serves little purpose - at least not in this instance. 

Gamegolf stats from 2016 show I hit a 15yd target from the center of a green 56% of the time with my 7i. Is that an anomaly? Maybe. Could I do it right now? I wasn't able to this past weekend. Will I be that successful next year? Perhaps not. But that's what the recorded statistics show for 39 rounds, some of which included terrible ball striking.

For the sake of argument, lets say I'm reading my stats wrong. Lets say the correct number is 46%. Hell, let's say it 36%. If a 24 capper can do that, don't you think it might be feasible, just slightly possible, that @GolfLug with his 9.7 index can hit 50% - even with his added distance?

I will admit - and this actually goes towards making your point - I originally chose the 100 yd option on the poll. I purposely didn't look at my GG stats before choosing. Turns out I was wrong about my accuracy with a gap wedge.

But I think the poll is very balanced. Any of those options are reasonable considering the different strengths and weakness we all have.

We're not all statistically aligned with PGA players relative to our indexes.

• Upvote 1

Jon

14 hours ago, boogielicious said:

So if you and I were betting on how many GIRs you would get in 10 tries from 150 versus how many putts I would sink from 8 feet, would you take that bet?

I really don't know who would win.  In saying I have so much faith in a distance and a club doesn't mean that I'm ready for the PGA.  LOL  I know that when I take that shot, I never think about missing the green.  That's the best I can do.  Oh, I have always used a long putter and so, I'm in a little trouble now.  I'll have to reintroduce myself to my Zebra Putter. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

To me it's fairly simple; Statistics take less of a meaning when applied to a grand sample size of one. Especially if the said singular shot that is make or break per the poll. Individual likes, dislikes and quirks can start to play up more. It doesn't help that I have a fundamental dislike for putting.

Vishal S.

10 hours ago, GolfLug said:

You must play with me a lot... :-).

Don't get me wrong, I love 8 footers too.. super easy 2 putt all day baby..:-D

I was thinking more about my ability than yours and the variables that go into a 150 yard shot. I was also including the OP scenario of must make. To me, there are too many factors that can affect a shot from 150 out.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I was thinking more about my ability than yours and the variables that go into a 150 yard shot. I was also including the OP scenario of must make. To me, there are too many factors that can affect a shot from 150 out.

I don't disagree about the difficulties of a 150 yard shot, Scott. But I honestly don't remember walking up to a 8 footer ever thinking "oh yeah, ball in the pocket!". I really think it's really cool you have that kind of confidence in ANY aspect of the game, putting or otherwise. On the flip side (in my case again), unless there is 15+ mph swirling winds I really expect to hit the green from 150 out. Period. Just an individual thing- I am disproportionately bad at the tee ball with the driver (changing lately!) but much much better with irons and then putting is just something I put up with. OT here but lately chipping has been beyond terrible too.   

BTW, sorry about the smarty pants type response.    

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

I don't disagree about the difficulties of a 150 yard shot, Scott. But I honestly don't remember walking up to a 8 footer ever thinking "oh yeah, ball in the pocket!". I really think it's really cool you have that kind of confidence in ANY aspect of the game, putting or otherwise. On the flip side (in my case again), unless there is 15+ mph swirling winds I really expect to hit the green from 150 out. Period. Just an individual thing- I am disproportionately bad at the tee ball with the driver (changing lately!) but much much better with irons and then putting is just something I put up with. OT here but lately chipping has been beyond terrible too.   

BTW, sorry about the smarty pants type response.    

No worries. 

For me, I expect to make the 8 footer. I hope to get a GIR from 150. :-)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!