IGNORED

Golf in Ft Worth area for Senior

Ron
Note:Β This thread is 2477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hello Fellow Golfers:

I will have to "Bite the Bullet"Β and accept the fact that I must soon relocate, to be close to my oldestΒ son forΒ peace of mind as I very reluctantly work my way down the path, as it were.Β  I live alone. Β Golf is my Passion and I have played all my life. Β I am 75, Vietnam Vet, Β and thankfully still fit and trim,Β in excellent health, takeΒ no medications,Β and stillΒ play around 40 rounds a year. Β  IΒ have a 14 Index from the middle Tee box. Β  All that being said......I am STILL 75! I was born in NYC and raised on Long Island, and this has been my home for my entire life. Β My dilemma is: Β Here on Long Island, we areΒ very fortunate (Due to the large senior population) to be able to play M-F 18 Holes, Walking for....Ready?.......$15.00. Β My oldest Son lives in Fort Worth, TX (Tarrant County) and that is where I will eventually relocate to. Β My other two Sons live in Charleston, SC and Ft Collins, CO. Β We have played golf together in all 3 of those locations for 10Β years. Β My sonsΒ are all excellent single digit players. Β However, the Greens Fees in all 3 of those locations are considerably higher than what I pay here. Β BeingΒ on a fixed income, this is a cause of concern for me. Β I have always asked in those 3 locations why the rates were so high for seniors, and am usually told that they could not stay in business offering those kind of rates for seniors. Β 

Β 

If there is anyone on the Forum from the Fort Worth, TX area, and you know of decent courses that have better rates available for seniors, I would appreciate any information that you could provide. Β I'm going to continue to play (God Willing) regardless of the rates but, I'd like to be able to have a few bucks left over after golf to have a couple of beers! Β (LOL) Β Thanks.

Β 

Β 

IMG_0819.JPG

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs: Β  D-9*,Β 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/Β 54/Β 58*, P-Β Redwood ZingΒ 

Ball-Pro V1

Β 

Β 

Hi Ron,

Hope it all works out with your move.Β Here's a link to an older thread u might take a look at:

I'd suggest bumping that thread by posting there, or perhaps someone will notice this one and respond. You might alsoΒ introduceΒ yourself to @Mr. DesmondΒ by PM. Maybe he'll also see my mentioning of him here too.Β 

Good luck.

Β 

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver:Β :ping:Β G30, Irons:Β :tmade:Β Burner 2.0, Putter:Β :cleveland:, Balls:Β :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Ron said:

Hello Fellow Golfers:

I will have to "Bite the Bullet"Β and accept the fact that I must soon relocate, to be close to my oldestΒ son forΒ peace of mind as I very reluctantly work my way down the path, as it were.Β  I live alone. Β Golf is my Passion and I have played all my life. Β I am 75, Vietnam Vet, Β and thankfully still fit and trim,Β in excellent health, takeΒ no medications,Β and stillΒ play around 40 rounds a year. Β  IΒ have a 14 Index from the middle Tee box. Β  All that being said......I am STILL 75! I was born in NYC and raised on Long Island, and this has been my home for my entire life. Β My dilemma is: Β Here on Long Island, we areΒ very fortunate (Due to the large senior population) to be able to play M-F 18 Holes, Walking for....Ready?.......$15.00. Β My oldest Son lives in Fort Worth, TX (Tarrant County) and that is where I will eventually relocate to. Β My other two Sons live in Charleston, SC and Ft Collins, CO. Β We have played golf together in all 3 of those locations for 10Β years. Β My sonsΒ are all excellent single digit players. Β However, the Greens Fees in all 3 of those locations are considerably higher than what I pay here. Β BeingΒ on a fixed income, this is a cause of concern for me. Β I have always asked in those 3 locations why the rates were so high for seniors, and am usually told that they could not stay in business offering those kind of rates for seniors. Β 

Β 

If there is anyone on the Forum from the Fort Worth, TX area, and you know of decent courses that have better rates available for seniors, I would appreciate any information that you could provide. Β I'm going to continue to play (God Willing) regardless of the rates but, I'd like to be able to have a few bucks left over after golf to have a couple of beers! Β (LOL) Β Thanks.

Β 

Β 

IMG_0819.JPG

Howdy and welcome to TST. I don't live in Texas, but visit the FT Worth area frequently. Have family there, and my financial guy is there.

There are a ton of golf courses in the FW area. There is a website for golf in the area. I can't do links, but if you do a search for "fort worth golf" you will find it.Β 

When I am there I alway play a course called Rockwood, which is on the Jacksborro hwy just a little northwest (?) of FW. Not sure what the current rates are since it's been a while. Put it on your bucket list to play. For me that course is very humbling. You have me by a fewΒ years, but you are healthier. I usually walk this course, with a trolley, with no problem.Β 

Good luck with your relocation, and get ready for some strange weather patterns......lol

Β 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Must you relocate to Ft Worth?

I like the middle, between Ft Worth and Dallas. But if you must go west, young man, good luck. Ft Worth generally has good people, better downtown.

Golf - lots of it. I live in Flower Mound/Lewisville. For a senior, the course near me is as good as it gets for practice and play - Bridlewood. About $550 for annual range membership - all free balls you want, 20% off on pro shop and green fees in a master community. Not too fancy, nice practice area. Typically I can get on for $25 after 2 pm.

Grapevine Muni is nearby, Texas Star is not far away, the Tribute, Tour 18, and other courses. Nearer Ft Worth is Tierra Verde.

Go to www.idealgolfer.comΒ for 2x per week deals, golf now, etc. Get the idealgolfer passbook for $49 and you get about 50 rounds of golf Β 

http://www.idealgolfer.com/deal/dallasfort-worth/16avidgolfermemday1605

for a sample of what is available.

Not that familiar with Ft Worth courses other than Iron Horse, Golf Club at Champions Circule near the Race Track. etc SeeΒ www.golfnow.comΒ and put in the zip code.

Your better place for a multitude of golf courses and munis is where I live - not far from Ft Worth, about 20 minutes north of DFW Airport - not too far from your family unless they are on the west side of Ft Worth

• Upvote 3

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

9 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Must you relocate to Ft Worth?

I like the middle, between Ft Worth and Dallas. But if you must go west, young man, good luck. Ft Worth generally has good people, better downtown.

Golf - lots of it. I live in Flower Mound/Lewisville. For a senior, the course near me is as good as it gets for practice and play - Bridlewood. About $550 for annual range membership - all free balls you want, 20% off on pro shop and green fees in a master community. Not too fancy, nice practice area. Typically I can get on for $25 after 2 pm.

Grapevine Muni is nearby, Texas Star is not far away, the Tribute, Tour 18, and other courses. Nearer Ft Worth is Tierra Verde.

Go to www.idealgolfer.comΒ for 2x per week deals, golf now, etc. Get the idealgolfer passbook for $49 and you get about 50 rounds of golf Β 

http://www.idealgolfer.com/deal/dallasfort-worth/16avidgolfermemday1605

for a sample of what is available.

Not that familiar with Ft Worth courses other than Iron Horse, Golf Club at Champions Circule near the Race Track. etc SeeΒ www.golfnow.comΒ and put in the zip code.

Your better place for a multitude of golf courses and munis is where I live - not far from Ft Worth, about 20 minutes north of DFW Airport - not too far from your family unless they are on the west side of Ft Worth

Thank you for your reply Mr Desmond. Β I have played someΒ of Β the courses that you have mentioned because we alwaysΒ playΒ golf when IΒ visit. Β It seems every Golfer who visits NorthΒ Texas likes to playΒ Texas Star. Β I have played that course 3 times. IΒ will look into the others which you have suggested. Β Β My Son actually lives in Colleyville in a very largeΒ home. Β There are noΒ apartments that I could afford in Colleyville! Β This is why I said Fort Worth area. Β ( I agree that Ft Worth is better than Dallas.) Β I will use a small apartment as a place to sleep and a base. Β While I still can, I will make more frequent visits to my other 2 Sons in SC & CO and, the DFW Airport lends itself to that much easier than making those trips out of the NY Metro area "Rat Race." Β Golf is extremely affordable for Seniors on Long Island because we have over 165 Golf Courses to choose from but.........everythingΒ elseΒ here is........$$$$$! Β Thanks again for your reply.

Ping G10 clubs: Β  D-9*,Β 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/Β 54/Β 58*, P-Β Redwood ZingΒ 

Ball-Pro V1

Β 

Β 

On 12/15/2016 at 7:35 AM, Ron said:

Thank you for your reply Mr Desmond. Β I have played someΒ of Β the courses that you have mentioned because we alwaysΒ playΒ golf when IΒ visit. Β It seems every Golfer who visits NorthΒ Texas likes to playΒ Texas Star. Β I have played that course 3 times. IΒ will look into the others which you have suggested. Β Β My Son actually lives in Colleyville in a very largeΒ home. Β There are noΒ apartments that I could afford in Colleyville! Β This is why I said Fort Worth area. Β ( I agree that Ft Worth is better than Dallas.) Β I will use a small apartment as a place to sleep and a base. Β While I still can, I will make more frequent visits to my other 2 Sons in SC & CO and, the DFW Airport lends itself to that much easier than making those trips out of the NY Metro area "Rat Race." Β Golf is extremely affordable for Seniors on Long Island because we have over 165 Golf Courses to choose from but.........everythingΒ elseΒ here is........$$$$$! Β Thanks again for your reply.

Apartments are tough - not a good value for your money. And Colleyville/Bedford is a bit higher toned. Have you tried a condo orΒ small 1600 sq ft home? With today's lower interest rates, if you get a decent home price, it's less than apartment living. Flower Mound is only 20 minutes from DFW and 10-15 more minutes to Colleyville in non-traffic time - I know, my instructor is near Texas Start. And in TX, driving 30 minutes is nothing. You've noticed it's big here.

There are also older areas in Grapevine, which are nearer Β your son, and it's near toney areas like Southlake. What I like aboutΒ Flower Mound isΒ they don't allow crime.Β If stopped, you are ticketed for something. Very quiet though. I'd get a realtor to find an older area between Flower Mound and Colleyvile and see what's left in a hot real estate economy, if any value out there. If you want a name, I can offer one.

Dallas Munis are also nearby - Indian Creek has 2 courses at i35 and Frankford along with other courses.

Go to maps.google and you will find more courses... a few of these are private and they are missing 27 holes of the Grapevine Muni next to Cowboys. If you go west, you will find Texas Star, Iron Horse and others. If you go East, you will find more courses between i35N and I75, including upper scale munis that have deals.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 8.46.29 AM.png

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Ron, here is a low cost solution that I see seniors doing and it involves free golf. Be a marshall or a starter, even at a private course. At a private course like Lantana Golf Club, it once involved once a week duty and free golf. Check it out.

Also look at Robson Ranch, which is a senior community with 18 holes where Β high schools play regional tournaments. It is up I35 West, not far from ... Flower Mound.Β 

• Upvote 1

Β 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Ron, here is a low cost solution that I see seniors doing and it involves free golf. Be a marshall or a starter, even at a private course. At a private course like Lantana Golf Club, it once involved once a week duty and free golf. Check it out.

Also look at Robson Ranch, which is a senior community with 18 holes where Β high schools play regional tournaments. It is up I35 West, not far from ... Flower Mound.Β 

Yes, I was a Ranger for 7 years and received free golf for the entire time. Β OurΒ Town courses (2) were managed by Kemper Sports. Β Had enough of that however but thanks for suggesting. Β What I'm learning is that nowhere can you get better rates than in Long Island, NY. Β In addition to the great rates given on the State courses (And yes that includes the Bethpage Black Complex which is composed of 5, 18 hole courses), the County courses on Long island are really nice (5 of them), all on the Great South Bay of Long Island and around $17 walking for 18 holes M-F. Β People from other parts of the country simply don't realize how popular golf is on Long Island and the staggering number of courses that we have. Β Because of the heavyΒ population, and the constant traffic during the week, courses are able to offer unbelievable inexpensive rates for Seniors! Β Ya gotta take the good with the bad I guess!:whistle:Β Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Ball-Pro V1

Β 

Β 

46 minutes ago, Ron said:

Yes, I was a Ranger for 7 years and received free golf for the entire time. Β OurΒ Town courses (2) were managed by Kemper Sports. Β Had enough of that however but thanks for suggesting. Β What I'm learning is that nowhere can you get better rates than in Long Island, NY. Β In addition to the great rates given on the State courses (And yes that includes the Bethpage Black Complex which is composed of 5, 18 hole courses), the County courses on Long island are really nice (5 of them), all on the Great South Bay of Long Island and around $17 walking for 18 holes M-F. Β People from other parts of the country simply don't realize how popular golf is on Long Island and the staggering number of courses that we have. Β Because of the heavyΒ population, and the constant traffic during the week, courses are able to offer unbelievable inexpensive rates for Seniors! Β Ya gotta take the good with the bad I guess!:whistle:Β Β 

Β 

Welcome to the Not-So-Great State of Texas.

Some items of living are less here, and others cost more. If you purchase a small home, watch out for property taxes and be certain of their amount before any closing

It will take a while to grow accustomed to our ways. Give yourself time.

You are where you live - DFW is close when you want to leave - you will find our bargains. Get the idealgolfer passbook.

Β 

Β 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Some items of living are less here, and others cost more. If you purchase a small home, watch out for property taxes and be certain of their amount before any closing

You are where you live - DFW is close when you want to leave - you will find our bargains. Get the idealgolfer passbook.

Β 

Absolutely right Mr D. Β Makes you appreciate the time worn adage: Β There's No Free Lunch!"

Ball-Pro V1

Β 

Β 

9 minutes ago, Ron said:

Absolutely right Mr D. Β Makes you appreciate the time worn adage: Β There's No Free Lunch!"

When you get here, and the weather is above 40 and the wind is not blowing, send me a pm and I'll find a bargain price at a good place not on the weekend. Unless the weather is below 50, then a lot of people don't show up.

Β 

• 4 months later...
On 12/16/2016 at 11:53 AM, Mr. Desmond said:

Β 

Β 

Ball-Pro V1

Β 

Β 

Well, it has taken longer than I expected but I'm now in the process of selling or donating virtually all of my possessions. Β Minimalism has been something I have always endorsed and I'm nowΒ taking it to the MAX! Β All I want is a nice Studio Apartment in the Grapevine, Euless, Bedford area so I have my own little place to flop which will facilitate my desire toΒ maintain my independence. My son owns aΒ very nice home in Colleyville for anything else I will ever need.Β  Β He is sending me a ticket to fly down in June to line up an Apartment and then I'll fly back to NY for my Car, Clothes,Β and Golf Clubs. Whenever I can move in, I'll furnish with a new Bedroom set, Eating table and chairs, Small couch or lounge chair, Flat screen and a Desk for my iMac & files. Β Then I'll search for some other seniors who can keep it in the short grass and I'll beΒ "Good To Go." Β The only negative that I can think of is Greens Fees are much higher in TX than in NY. Β However, at this stage of my life, the +'s outweigh the -'s by moving to Texas.Β :content:

Ball-Pro V1

Β 

Β 

Hey Ron, I used to live in Arlington and work in Bedford. Β I played a lot of golf all over the the NE Tarrant area where you are looking to be. Β Check out Sky Creek Ranch for really decent course (it's been several years since I played it) with a good senior green fee. Β I don't remember seeing many walkers at all so I don't know how courses out there handle that.Β 

You might also check Diamond Oaks in NE Ft. Worth. Β It was a decent track back when and memberships were reasonable. Β Iron Horse in that area might also be an option.

16 minutes ago, Parrot said:

Hey Ron, I used to live in Arlington and work in Bedford. Β I played a lot of golf all over the the NE Tarrant area where you are looking to be. Β Check out Sky Creek Ranch for really decent course (it's been several years since I played it) with a good senior green fee. Β I don't remember seeing many walkers at all so I don't know how courses out there handle that.Β 

You might also check Diamond Oaks in NE Ft. Worth. Β It was a decent track back when and memberships were reasonable. Β Iron Horse in that area might also be an option.

Β 

Also, if you can, play the Hogan course at Trophy Club. Β It is the only course he ever designed. Β The clubhouseΒ was to house Hogan's trophies and be his retirement club.Β  Indeed, Hogan was the centerpiece of the development but he backed out when he and others couldn't get the financing for the clubhouse he wanted. Β He then stayed at Shady Oaks in FW. Β Viewing the course from greens back toward the tees reveals a lot of subtlety that influences the play of each hole. Β It's a ClubCorp course so memberships aren't cheap.

Β 

Thanks Parrot: Β I've playedΒ Iron Horse a few times with my Son and Grandson. Β I guess the big difference that I'm evidently going to find is few courses which allow walking. Β Here in NY walking is the choice, especially for Seniors. Β Not so much to save money on Riding Carts but for the exercise and health benefits. Β Of course, there are many seniors who just can't walk 18 holes. Β I am 75 and have played 1040 18 hole rounds in the last 10 years and have walked all but 7 of those rounds. Β I played today and I will admit I start to get a little tired on the 16th hole now. (Shot an 88 from the White Tees) Β Perhaps Riding Carts are not far away for me also. Β (LOL) Β I'm sure I'll figure it all out once I get down there. Β Thanks again.

• Upvote 1

Ball-Pro V1

Β 

Β 

• 1 month later...

My wife and I just moved from Bedford to New York. Β If you don't mind the plane noise from landing and taking off, you should try Bear Creek. Β 

As I recall they have heavily discounted early rates and I think senior rates. Β 

http://www.bearcreek-golf.com

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex,Β Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Β 
Β 

Scotth: Β I will live in Euless as of Aug 15th. Β I'm staying at my son's home in Colleyville for now. Β I visited Bear Creek the other day and learned of their Senior "Deal." Β Nice price and I will sign up for that. Β That's even better than I was getting in Long Island because I was walking. Β Here it will be $19.00 for golf and a cart. Β Can't beat that and I NEVER play on week=ends. Β Where did you move to in NY?

Ball-Pro V1

Β 

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 2477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!