IGNORED

My Swing (Baculus)

Baculus
Note: This thread is 2576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 10 years, had a break for a while just getting back into it. 
My current handicap index or average score is: 9.8 (Golfink Australia number 7624501624 if you'd like to see my scores online). Best handicap is 7.  
My typical ball flight is: With driver, low left pull or fade/slice/ block. Irons slight fade.  
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: low ball flight, and coming left across the ball causing pull or slice. 

Hi all, first time post, just discovered this forum today and my first forum too! Thanks all for having a look. Apologies for only the one angle, if you'd really like another to effectively analyse my swing plane please say so. 

I posted with driver, because my irons aren't too bad for now, but when it comes to teeing off I'm either hitting a really low left pull/hook, or slice. This often filters down to my woods. 

For some reason I've always hit the ball unusually low with driver and with a number of different brands and lofts of driver (so I know it's not the stick) and it's getting to me now and limiting my progress and enjoyment of the game of golf. 

My takeaway is very flat and comes from lessons I had to cure a slice about 2 years ago.

Thanks very much for commenting, I really appreciate you taking the time of day and will reciprocate in kind!  

Videos: 

Edited by Baculus
Trying to embed.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome! As my golfing season ends, yours is just heating up.

As you mention, the angles matter. There's some good info here about angles (and about how to get the most out of a "my swing" thread) near the top of this thread:

See you around!

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator

Got a Down the Line video?

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Let's see what the pros, say about your shoulder turn. Looks a bit level to me. Maybe more hip rotation, less sway to the right as it looks (to me), as if you are coming off the ball.  Good looking finish.

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Got a Down the Line video?

Thanks all for replying, here's one today after work. Apologies for the angle, was using bag as stand for phone. I'll need to get a proper camera and stand. 

Cheers 

18 hours ago, RandallT said:

Welcome! As my golfing season ends, yours is just heating up.

As you mention, the angles matter. There's some good info here about angles (and about how to get the most out of a "my swing" thread) near the top of this thread:

See you around!

Thanks RandallT. Yes hopefully it'll be a nice summer, it's usually a bit four seasons in one day down here  but we usually have a good stretch 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:56 AM, Baculus said:

hitting a really low left pull - here's one today after work

Definitely looked like shot you described. Timing of weigh transfer a tad late, right hand/forearm rotates before impact are typical causes of a low pull.
When taking video, let the camera roll for a couple of swings.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

15 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Definitely looked like shot you described. Timing of weigh transfer a tad late, right hand/forearm rotates before impact are typical causes of a low pull.
When taking video, let the camera roll for a couple of swings.

Will let it roll next time. So I need to work on earlier transfer? I feel like I'm having a hard time with timing and getting the club in the right 'slot' for impact. 

Thanks for your comment! 

5 hours ago, Baculus said:

Thanks all for replying, here's one today after work. Apologies for the angle, was using bag as stand for phone. I'll need to get a proper camera and stand. 

Cheers 

HD Version

Here is a drill @iacas has posted many times on similar threads.

There's also a few other good videos he's posted to watch after the initial one.

https://youtu.be/uleZH2nRy9U

An old school drill I use occasionally is to place your feet together and make swings.
It's helps several aspects of the swing, such as balance, tempo, rotation, swing arc to name a few.
I'll start with a slower controlled swing with my feet about 6" apart and move them closer together until the shoes touch each other.
I've also seen men who present swing exhibitions make shots standing on one leg only, which it really tough to do.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
On 12/20/2016 at 7:58 PM, Baculus said:

What do you think @iacas? Or should I get some better angles first? 

Thanks heaps 

Better camera angles are helpful, but yeah… your shoulder pitch is a bit of a concern.

Try some of that too.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 12/19/2016 at 4:30 AM, Club Rat said:

Here is a drill @iacas has posted many times on similar threads.

I've also seen men who present swing exhibitions make shots standing on one leg only, which it really tough to do.

Not all that tough. These are espoused by several instructors, Shawn Clements, Martin Chuck, and others. One way to do this starting out, is to simply stand on the tip toe with your trail leg behind you. 

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Hey guys, I've followed what @iacas has given me about watching my shoulder plane and feeling like I'm tipping water out of my left shoulder, and it's made me stand over the ball more and get me into a much better position at impact. 

Ball flight is now much higher and straighter. 

I've also attached two images, one from today (red shirt) and the other day before feedback (white shirt) and you can see my right shoulder, arm and especially elbow is in a better position at impact, in and hugging my body rather than flopping around a few inches from my torso. This has enabled the clubhead to get into a better slot, and though I haven't measured it, clubhead speed feels to have increased. My backswing and wrists are also freed up a bit more. I will play on Wednesday and let you know how I go. 

Any other feedback will be appreciated, or even if you think I've mis-analysed my comparison feel free to let me know.  

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 10.22.56 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 10.22.43 pm.png

Edited by Baculus
Ball flight

The only thing i can really see is that you are reducing the space you have for your hands coming through with your early hip turn.  i think if you look at your latest impact video, your hands could be a bit further forward with where your hips are at.

that's actually something i struggle with as well.  the early hip turn and the lack of space, causes my body to turn to the left early which is followed by an "over the top" movement to get the clubhead back to the ball. any form of pull depending on your  clubface. 

this might not be the problem but something to look into. How far do you usually hit(carry) driver?

• Upvote 1

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Looks better, yes. Do you have FO videos of those swings? Or can you post a set of current FO/DL views?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @iacas, thanks for taking an interest. 

Here are a current set of front on and down the line vids as of today. I'm still trying to weed out that "over the top" action at the top of my backswing I rotate my trunk but my hands and arms rotate with it resulting in coming across the ball rather than my hips rotating a few miliseconds before my arms and hands start moving as is what should happen. I'm also trying to move forward less on impact - usually I have a low ball flight off the tee. 

Any advice will be appreciated - I've started playing a lot more and my handicap is now 7.5 rather than the 9.7 I had when I joined up to the forum. 

Note: This thread is 2576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!