IGNORED

Ping g30 irons

OoAaronoO
Note: This thread is 2818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Kinda new to golf.Not real familiar with wedges.Last week I bought a set of ping g30 irons I bought 5i-Pw with a gap wedge also. Is the gap wedge supposed to go further than a pitching wedge? Also would it say "g" on the club  or "u". I'm looking at pings website and don't see anything on the loft chart saying gap wedge,. Any info or insight would be appreciated 

7 minutes ago, OoAaronoO said:

Kinda new to golf.Not real familiar with wedges.Last week I bought a set of ping g30 irons I bought 5i-Pw with a gap wedge also. Is the gap wedge supposed to go further than a pitching wedge? Also would it say "g" on the club  or "u". I'm looking at pings website and don't see anything on the loft chart saying gap wedge,. Any info or insight would be appreciated 

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 5.14.00 PM.png

I would say that the pitching wedge is 5 degrees stronger than the utility wedge. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, OoAaronoO said:

Right. So I know some clubs say g for gap, a for approach. So would my gap wedge be my  utility club?

Yes, it fits between the pitching wedge and the sand wedge. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

Your Ping gap wedge ("U") will probably have a softer shaft than the Vokey and may be more friendly on full swings

@OoAaronoO you may hit them the same distance but the muscleback SM5 will be less forgiving on mishits but more versatile around the green.  I play G2's and the U wedge loft is very similar to your G30 U and from there I go to my 54* and 58* Cleveland wedges.  Since you say you're newer, one Vokey wedge as your sand/lob wedge around the green to learn/practice will probably work.  I agree on getting the 56* and don't worry, you shouldn't have much trouble selling the SM5!

Edited by caddystacks

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Now I already have a 60* wedge, is it worth getting a 56*.. use the 60 for sand and my 50yard club...as of now I usually pretty consistently hit my 50* 75 yrs and my 60* 50. My main issue is when I have to take some off/or put some extra power into it I usually mess up the shot.

In the landscape of Wedgeland, the gap wedge (GW) between PW and SW goes by different names:

* AW = approach wedge (or for TM, attack wedge)
* UW = utility wedge (Ping)
* DW = dual wedge (Cleveland iron sets)
* W = gap wedge (Titleist AP2 and others
--------------------
Note: Titleist AP1 in-set wedges include 43° P (pitching), 47° W (first gap wedge) and 52° W2 (second gap wedge).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

14 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

In the landscape of Wedgeland, the gap wedge (GW) between PW and SW goes by different names:

* AW = approach wedge (or for TM, attack wedge)
* UW = utility wedge (Ping)I
* DW = dual wedge (Cleveland iron sets)
* W = gap wedge (Titleist AP2 and others
--------------------
Note: Titleist AP1 in-set wedges include 43° P (pitching), 47° W (first gap wedge) and 52° W2 (second gap wedge).

That is the reason I won't buy any AP1s. I don't want to carry 2 gap wedges.

Note: This thread is 2818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!