Jump to content
rkim291968

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

2,614 posts / 186542 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Braivo said:

I recently played an 18 hole par 3 course where they longest hole is 100 yards. This is the equivalant of starting every par 4 with a 300 yard drive straight down the middle. I still played bogey golf. This game is hard we can give shots away anywhere on the course. 

 

2 hours ago, natureboy said:

Yeah, but greens are likely proportionally smaller too.

True, your short game doesn't magically get better on a par 3 course, and possibly worse in some cases. If your drive is reasonable, your performance on a par 3 is not that much different than a standard course.

The flip side is smaller greens can also save some putts once you hit them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

7 hours ago, natureboy said:

Yeah, but greens are likely proportionally smaller too.

 

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

 

True, your short game doesn't magically get better on a par 3 course, and possibly worse in some cases. If your drive is reasonable, your performance on a par 3 is not that much different than a standard course.

The flip side is smaller greens can also save some putts once you hit them.

Yes, tiny greens played a role for sure. If I missed the green off the tee the chipping was very difficult as there was no fringe to work with either, just a 20ft x 20ft square green surrounded by rough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, Lihu said:

True, your short game doesn't magically get better on a par 3 course, and possibly worse in some cases. If your drive is reasonable, your performance on a par 3 is not that much different than a standard course.

The flip side is smaller greens can also save some putts once you hit them.

It's the same distance to the pin large or small green. It's just that the average GIR proximity will be closer so your PPGIR will be better. If your short game / chipping is solid then your PPH / PPR will likely decrease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, natureboy said:

It's the same distance to the pin large or small green. It's just that the average GIR proximity will be closer so your PPGIR will be better. If your short game / chipping is solid then your PPH / PPR will likely decrease.

The smallest flaws stick out like a sore thumb.

Unfortunately, my closest to the pin last night was on a 156 yard shot with my 8i. All the other ones were over hit and/or my usual pulls started coming back again, possibly from coming in OTT. I only hit the usual 6 or 7 greens. I don't remember exactly, but I hit the fringe most of the time, and only chipped a couple times. Mostly, I used putter even through light rough as the greens were so small.

I really like playing par 3 courses. It really brings out the "target" shooter in me. They're really fun, fast, cheap and you only have to carry a few wedges and a club or two. My daughter and I had a blast. I beat her by 2 shots, and she was finally making pars towards second half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, after the tournament last weekend, I've kept to my plan of not touching clubs this week at all.  I'll be leaving tomorrow, late evening, for a drive up to New Jersey to visit family for the weekend.  

When I return, I'm packing a bunch of things in to Tuesday through Friday afternoon... and then, when my wife gets home on Friday evening...

... we're driving to Kiawah Island!

I signed up for the Golfweek Amateur Tour Southern Regional tournament played next Saturday and Sunday on the Osprey Point Course and the Ocean Course.  

Outside of the National Championship in Hilton Head... I've never (and I mean NEVER) looked forward to a tournament more in my life!

Counting down the days and hours until next Friday night!

CY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

So, after the tournament last weekend, I've kept to my plan of not touching clubs this week at all.  I'll be leaving tomorrow, late evening, for a drive up to New Jersey to visit family for the weekend.  

When I return, I'm packing a bunch of things in to Tuesday through Friday afternoon... and then, when my wife gets home on Friday evening...

... we're driving to Kiawah Island!

I signed up for the Golfweek Amateur Tour Southern Regional tournament played next Saturday and Sunday on the Osprey Point Course and the Ocean Course.  

Outside of the National Championship in Hilton Head... I've never (and I mean NEVER) looked forward to a tournament more in my life!

Counting down the days and hours until next Friday night!

CY

Sounds like a busy and exciting couple weeks. Safe travels!

Give me a buzz if you are near DC and too beat to continue driving on up to NJ. Two empty bedrooms here (not quite yet empty-nesters, with one rugrat left in high school). We're about 15minutes to the west of I-95/495 (out the toll road on the way to Dulles Airport, if you know where that is).

Hey, a little birdie told me there might be an interesting blog post up fairly soon that you'll be interested in :beer:. It's taking shape, bit by bit. I don't think it's a state secret or anything, but for everyone else on this thread, we hope everyone will find it enlightening- CY has agreed to go under a microscope regarding his game statistics to see what insights we can glean from his recent rounds. Bogey golfers will likely see patterns that look familiar and possibly some more detail into where we may be leaking strokes. Stay tuned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well I played today, and had a horrid front 9. Actually there were a lot of good things about it, but a number of bad things. The good things were I hit some nice tee shots. The bad things were that I hit some bad tee shots. I had a couple of blow up holes. I only parred one hole on the front 9. I was trying to play catch up instead of playing one shot at a time. And ended up with a 53. Ugh. 

On the back 9 it was an entirely different story. I shot 6 over par. This included a triple and a double. I parred the last 4 holes.

I'm back and kicking bottom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Well I played today, and had a horrid front 9. Actually there were a lot of good things about it, but a number of bad things. The good things were I hit some nice tee shots. The bad things were that I hit some bad tee shots. I had a couple of blow up holes. I only parred one hole on the front 9. I was trying to play catch up instead of playing one shot at a time. And ended up with a 53. Ugh. 

On the back 9 it was an entirely different story. I shot 6 over par. This included a triple and a double. I parred the last 4 holes.

I'm back and kicking bottom. 

Yeah, the bad tee shots add up strikes pretty quickly.

Well look at the bright side, you're playing again! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, the bad tee shots add up strikes pretty quickly.

Well look at the bright side, you're playing again! :-)

This course isn't that hard, but if you don't get a good tee shot, you're dead. Unlike some other courses around here, you can't make up for it easily. The par 5s are real par 5s even from the forward tees. There's only one par 5 from the forward tees that I have a shot at reaching in two.

I really found my rhythm on the back 9. I hit some really nice tee shots. I hit a couple around 250 with a little fade. The open stance is really helping. I had 6 GIR on the back 9. The putter was a problem on the blow up holes - I three putted when it should have been a 1 putt - I was that close to the hole. Then I just started taking more time with my green reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, RandallT said:

Sounds like a busy and exciting couple weeks. Safe travels!

Give me a buzz if you are near DC and too beat to continue driving on up to NJ. Two empty bedrooms here (not quite yet empty-nesters, with one rugrat left in high school). We're about 15minutes to the west of I-95/495 (out the toll road on the way to Dulles Airport, if you know where that is).

Hey, a little birdie told me there might be an interesting blog post up fairly soon that you'll be interested in :beer:. It's taking shape, bit by bit. I don't think it's a state secret or anything, but for everyone else on this thread, we hope everyone will find it enlightening- CY has agreed to go under a microscope regarding his game statistics to see what insights we can glean from his recent rounds. Bogey golfers will likely see patterns that look familiar and possibly some more detail into where we may be leaking strokes. Stay tuned.

Hey man... thanks for the offer!  

We'll be taking 81 up through Virigina.  I seriously dislike the drive.  When I first moved down here, my wife and kids stayed in New Jersey for 7 months so the kids could finish out the school year.  I did that drive, alone, about 25 times during that time period.  

Outside of the first few times I did the drive and thought it had some nice scenery... I've groaned during the 6+ hours of driving through Virginia.  

Looking forward to seeing the blog post!  I think, from what I've seen, you've got a lot of detail in there and things that I didn't even THINK of!

CY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

This course isn't that hard, but if you don't get a good tee shot, you're dead. Unlike some other courses around here, you can't make up for it easily. The par 5s are real par 5s even from the forward tees. There's only one par 5 from the forward tees that I have a shot at reaching in two.

I really found my rhythm on the back 9. I hit some really nice tee shots. I hit a couple around 250 with a little fade. The open stance is really helping. I had 6 GIR on the back 9. The putter was a problem on the blow up holes - I three putted when it should have been a 1 putt - I was that close to the hole. Then I just started taking more time with my green reading.

Nice to hear you back at it, Julia!

 

7 hours ago, Fairway_CY said:

We'll be taking 81 up through Virigina.  I seriously dislike the drive.  When I first moved down here, my wife and kids stayed in New Jersey for 7 months so the kids could finish out the school year.  I did that drive, alone, about 25 times during that time period.  

Outside of the first few times I did the drive and thought it had some nice scenery... I've groaned during the 6+ hours of driving through Virginia.  

Looking forward to seeing the blog post!  I think, from what I've seen, you've got a lot of detail in there and things that I didn't even THINK of!

CY

Yah, I know I-81 pretty well up near Harrisonburg, where my daughter went to college. That's a long stretch through VA, and I would do that route a couple times on trips south just to avoid the monotony of I-95.

Wait until you see how much stuff is in the final product. I can't wait to see how it turns out, as the stats stuff may end up just being the foundation for the rest of the analysis. Swing recommendations, strategy, anything else that the experts here think will help you develop.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot a very nice 44+44=88 today! Didn't lose a single ball or incur a single penalty stroke. 

That being said, it was an older course with few hazards but many, many trees. I was punching out of trouble nearly every other hole. I think some courses just suit my game better than others. I didn't think I played exceptionally well but the score was 5-7 shots better than I've been shooting lately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Braivo said:

Shot a very nice 44+44=88 today! Didn't lose a single ball or incur a single penalty stroke. 

That being said, it was an older course with few hazards but many, many trees. I was punching out of trouble nearly every other hole. I think some courses just suit my game better than others. I didn't think I played exceptionally well but the score was 5-7 shots better than I've been shooting lately. 

Thats a very nice score indeed!!! Congrats!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, Braivo said:

Shot a very nice 44+44=88 today! Didn't lose a single ball or incur a single penalty stroke. 

Me, too.  1st time in a long time that I started and finished with the same ball.

Good going, @Braivo!   Bravo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/2/2016 at 0:35 PM, Braivo said:

Shot a very nice 44+44=88 today! Didn't lose a single ball or incur a single penalty stroke. 

That being said, it was an older course with few hazards but many, many trees. I was punching out of trouble nearly every other hole. I think some courses just suit my game better than others. I didn't think I played exceptionally well but the score was 5-7 shots better than I've been shooting lately. 

Congrats. I also get a little wild off the tee so playing the same ball for the whole round is a nice feeling I can relate to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Thats a very nice score indeed!!! Congrats!!! :)

 

21 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Me, too.  1st time in a long time that I started and finished with the same ball.

Good going, @Braivo!   Bravo!

 

4 hours ago, natureboy said:

Congrats. I also get a little wild off the tee so playing the same ball for the whole round is a nice feeling I can relate to.

Thanks guys.  

Went out and shot 42 playing nine today. Still playing the same ball. Much more difficult course. Feeling pretty good about my game right now. It's always fleeting, of course, but I'll take this stretch. 

One thing I've noticed is I'm not making any really bad swings that blow up my round. Focusing on each stroke, giving it my full attention and choosing shot zones per LSW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/3/2016 at 8:38 PM, Braivo said:

 

 

Thanks guys.  

Went out and shot 42 playing nine today. Still playing the same ball. Much more difficult course. Feeling pretty good about my game right now. It's always fleeting, of course, but I'll take this stretch. 

One thing I've noticed is I'm not making any really bad swings that blow up my round. Focusing on each stroke, giving it my full attention and choosing shot zones per LSW

I love the feeling of playing an entire round with a single ball.  I typically lose 3-5 balls a round, and during tournaments... I only play with the TaylorMade Project (a) balls, so... if I'm having a bad day, I can lose a half dozen quickly.  

The last tournament, I managed to play with a single sleeve of balls for the entire 2 day tournament.  On the first day, I lost none (a bit of luck in that as I had at least 2 that could have gone missing).  On the second day, I lost 2 and then, after my final hole... I fed the remaining, beat-up ball to the pond next to the green.  

Congrats on playing 27 straight with that ball!  I think my record is just shy of that... maybe 24 holes or so!

CY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok, this is getting pretty scary.  Over the past few seasons, I've addressed my two biggest issues of need:  1) hitting par 3 greens and making pars to reduce a pathetic 4+ stroke average on those holes; 2) put a club in the bag to eat up yards on par-5 holes and get around the green on longer par 4 holes.

Saturday's round:  Par 3s played at +1; Par 5s played at +1.  Had a 3-putt on one par three.  GIR on all but one.  Par 5s included a birdie, 2 pars and an ugly double due to a water-ball penalty.

Another issue addressed:  Better chipping / pitching as in getting the ball all the way to the hole.  Sunday round was a bit off on iron play and GIR.  I probably had 8-10 chips/pitches.  I wasn't getting the chips to inside 5 feet.  I wasn't getting them inside 3 feet.  I was putting them inside ONE FOOT.  I had 6 at 1 or inside 1 foot.  It was like my 58* was a magic wand!

Lastly, I flushed a 9-iron to a pin at 120 yards.  One bounce and stopped on a dime 6" from the hole for a birdie on a par 5.

Anyone ever do this:  I flushed a few short irons that were hit so pure that I heard the sound of the shaft absorbing the energy.

I'm on a 'good roll' right now that I hope stays for a long time.

dave  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...