IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, lee34 said:

Weathers fine mate. About 11 degrees still pretty mild good golfing conditions really.

No pretty much all of my penalties were sliced out of bounds either off the tee or approach shots.

Ah, the dreaded slice. There is a cure for those my friend. I was in despair about my slice for a long time. The harder you try, the more they slice too. There is no more emasculating thing in golf than the slice. I have hit hundreds of them.

I have acquired a new affliction to replace the slice, it is the pull and the pull hook.  These have the heart stopping ability to fly 20-30% further than the slice for some reason (I am no physicist). The good news is, the pull and pull hook have an easy cure compared to the slice. The man gave me a very good drill for this, which I will actually do.

See if you can make it hook or pull at the range. Try a strong grip. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Kalnoky said:

Ah, the dreaded slice. There is a cure for those my friend. I was in despair about my slice for a long time. The harder you try, the more they slice too. There is no more emasculating thing in golf than the slice. I have hit hundreds of them.

I have acquired a new affliction to replace the slice, it is the pull and the pull hook.  These have the heart stopping ability to fly 20-30% further than the slice for some reason (I am no physicist). The good news is, the pull and pull hook have an easy cure compared to the slice. The man gave me a very good drill for this, which I will actually do.

See if you can make it hook or pull at the range. Try a strong grip. 

Yeah my main 2 problems with the slice are the over the top swing so i need to drill keeping right arm close to body on the downswing and not turning my hands over so clubface is open at impact.

I really need to get drilling this at the driving range as playing on the course is pointless when I'm playing like this....

2 hours ago, lee34 said:

Yeah my main 2 problems with the slice are the over the top swing so i need to drill keeping right arm close to body on the downswing and not turning my hands over so clubface is open at impact.

I really need to get drilling this at the driving range as playing on the course is pointless when I'm playing like this....

There is a good thread on slicing here on the site that I thought I'd throw in here for bogey golfers who may not have seen it before. Seems like you may have it narrowed down to a couple key reasons in bold above for your slice, so the below list below may not apply to you, but here's the list for maximum confusion on what it could be for others :-P (link to thread below that):

- Weak or palmy left hand grip

- Shoulders aimed left

- Knees rotated inward

- Lack of axis tilt (spine is vertical)

- Hips slide back on the backswing

- Minimal turn on the backswing

- Weight doesn't go forward on the downswing

- Club head is outside the hands at A6 (club shaft parallel to the ground on the downswing)

- Lack of Key #3, the shaft and lead arm line up well before impact

- Club head overtakes the hands at a fast rate.

Added:

https://thesandtrap.com/search/?tags=slice&page=1&sortby=newest

A long list of others fighting a slice. Nearly endless reading.

Edited by RandallT
added a link to posts tagged with "slice"

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

16 hours ago, lee34 said:

I'm not even really qualified to say anything, but I can say that I was just talking to the head coach at my home course about this last night. I mentioned that I don't do any conscious turning over and he said that was correct. He basically stated that people doing this are doing it because it's a band-aide for not being able to turn in sync with the arms or visa versa.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

16 hours ago, lee34 said:

I have struggled with an over the top swing in the past, and the one main thing that cured it was learning to get proper shoulder tilt.   If my shoulders are not tilted, then on the downswing, my right shoulder comes outward and that produces the over the top swing.   If my right shoulder comes down on the down swing, then the club path is much more on plane, and I can see it in my divots on the driving range.   My divots are going towards the target instead of off to the left. 

If you're standing up straight, then turn towards the target, notice your right shoulder goes forward and your left shoulder goes backwards.   Try swinging the club like that, and it comes way over the top. 

Now bend forward towards the ball, and when you turn towards the target, have your right shoulder go under your chin.   Left shoulder up, right shoulder down.   You will not be over the top.  

Some people call it "side bend."   Watch a pro golfer's swing, and you can see how tilted they are on the downswing and follow through.  

Edited by Marty2019
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, RandallT said:

Club head is outside the hands at A6 (club shaft parallel to the ground on the downswing)

Woohoo !! Something to look at here. I bet I do this wrong more than I do it right with my longer clubs ! I like a little cut but c'mon man, 30 yards aint a cut, haha. Thanks !!

Playing 18 tomorrow with one swing thought, Still Head all day ! Maybe a little conscious of the A6 position but not gonna dwell (next week). Probably moving up a set of tees just to to have some T.V. approach shots. I wont count my score for any " under " achievement awards but hope I can get 80 that way. My buddy has a bad back so I will play up for him ??? Kidding . Anyway, Hit Em Good Yall !!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

Good afternoon my peeps,

Just got home and im happy as can be !! Moved up a set of tees today and hit 41 out and 40 in. Didnt break 80 but that wasnt the real goal today. Hitting wedges and 9i into the greens was alot of fun. Kept a steady head ALL day and contact was crisp and clean too. Had a few pulls that i wasnt proud of but hit em good overall. I missed a few gimme putts that I should have made, lapse of concentration I guess, just silly stuff. The sight lines are so different with just a 20 yd move up. That was kinda weird but overall a great round for me. Hope everyone has a great weekend and Hit Em Good Yall !!

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

42 minutes ago, Strat-Pack Rick said:

Good afternoon my peeps,

Just got home and im happy as can be !! Moved up a set of tees today and hit 41 out and 40 in. Didnt break 80 but that wasnt the real goal today. Hitting wedges and 9i into the greens was alot of fun. Kept a steady head ALL day and contact was crisp and clean too. Had a few pulls that i wasnt proud of but hit em good overall. I missed a few gimme putts that I should have made, lapse of concentration I guess, just silly stuff. The sight lines are so different with just a 20 yd move up. That was kinda weird but overall a great round for me. Hope everyone has a great weekend and Hit Em Good Yall !!

Yeah, moving up a tee can be fun.  Recently, I moved up a tee (to a non tournament tee) to gain some confidence.   It did me some good and I moved back to a tournament tee.   

Self analysis - rain/soft turf and cold winter air reduced my drive distance by 20 - 30 yards.   Instead of living with shorter drive distance, I tried to swing "harder" and it backfired.   Going back to shorter tee compensated for the lost drive distance and my game settled down to shooting below 90s.   

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

6 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

Yeah, moving up a tee can be fun.  Recently, I moved up a tee (to a non tournament tee) to gain some confidence.   It did me some good and I moved back to a tournament tee.   

Self analysis - rain/soft turf and cold winter air reduced my drive distance by 20 - 30 yards.   Instead of living with shorter drive distance, I tried to swing "harder" and it backfired.   Going back to shorter tee compensated for the lost drive distance and my game settled down to shooting below 90s.   

Confidence is the key !  Im gonna play from these tees throughout the winter months and record some practice rounds. Come spring, i will go back and go for it again. I really want to break 80 this coming season and confidence building is important. Good Luck to everybody out there and Hit Em Good !!

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

12 hours ago, Strat-Pack Rick said:

Confidence is the key !  Im gonna play from these tees throughout the winter months and record some practice rounds. Come spring, i will go back and go for it again. I really want to break 80 this coming season and confidence building is important. Good Luck to everybody out there and Hit Em Good !!

Breaking 80 can happen any time.   Shorter tee will make it happen much easier.  The confidence you'd gain from breaking 80 will be huge (it was for me).   You will break 80 before too long.   Consistently repeating will be harder.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Another disappointing round of 105 at Wexham Park yesterday. Foggy conditions did not help.

Playing Richings Park tomorrow still hoping to break 90 even tho I can't break 100 at the moment lol.

I set up a match with some friends for yesterday and I was really looking forward to it.  I woke up and it was about 20 degrees cooler than the weather forecast had predicted, plus there was a heavy layer of fog and a freezing mist falling.  Suddenly, I wasn't looking forward to it quite as much.  

Still... being the degenerate golfer that I am, we ventured out and played anyway.  The first 5 holes, you could hardly see your tee shot and trying to hit the flag with the rangefinder was proving to be difficult.  

I still managed to play fairly well on the front because it was at my home course and I kind of knew where everything would go based off of the first 50 yards or so.  I shot a 45 on the front nine and my partner and I won the front side match 4 & 2.  

The back nine was much different for me.  I struggled with a few holes due to some very poor tee shots (a pair of doubles and a quad) but my partner played well.  I managed a 48 on that side but we ended up winning the back side match 3 & 1 as well as the overall match 8 & 6.

My 45 - 48 = 93 was not a good score for me, but... considering the weather, I was not all that disappointed.  I was still out playing golf and having a good time, so... I'll take it.  

After the most recent revision, my handicap index has jumped all the way to a 14.7 and is trending even higher after being to a lifetime low of 13.0 as of the October 1st revision.  I'm okay with that right now but I'd really like to get to working it back down as soon as the calendar flips to 2017.  

I've got maybe 2 or 3 more rounds in me this year, dependent upon the weather.  Hopefully I can start producing the sub-90 rounds on a regular basis again soon.  

CY 

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Today, I focused on keeping shots in play.  I club'd up and hit soft on many shots.  I used drivers less, opting for hybrid on shorter par 4s.   The effort paid off as I had no OB, ball in hazard, ball lost and hit 80% of the fairways.   Some drives were embarrassingly short who cares.   I had one of my better rounds in recent months.   

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I really do not understand why someone would want to use tournament length tees if they are not playing tournament worthy golf. If you shoot a lower score from non tournament tees, then you should stay there.  If you can shoot near 80 consistently, that is where you should be. Rather than "moving back" to the rear tees after reaching a certain level of play, why not just stay where you are and improve even more?

I would much rather shoot below 80 and work towards breaking par from the whites than once in awhile shoot a lower score than is your norm from the blues or blacks.

I do understand the stigma of moving forward however, it is not human nature to admit you are not doing as well as you want and therefore be reluctant to move up. I know I "should" move up, but I too, find it difficult to do so.  Playing alone, there is no problem playing from any tee, but when paired up with others, I do not want to be the "odd ball", then again, that is also silly.  Nothing should be "embarrassing" about a short drive, if that is what you are capable of.  "Dance with the one you brung".

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

9 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

I really do not understand why someone would want to use tournament length tees if they are not playing tournament worthy golf. 

I agree.   The only reason I play the tournament tee on my course is to get ready for tournaments.   My club uses only one tee for tournament play.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Played today at Richings Park.

132 !!!!!! What the hell has happened. My game has just gone to pieces. That's me done now. 

Back to the range, I've banned myself from playing for a while.

1st hole par 4 290 yards - Drove level with the green 30 yards left of the green. Should have chipped on and putted for birdie/par. Walked away with a triple bogey 7 !!!

Very deflated going to definitely stay away from the course now until I get some lessons and range time in.

34 minutes ago, lee34 said:

Played today at Richings Park.

132 !!!!!! What the hell has happened. My game has just gone to pieces. That's me done now. 

Back to the range, I've banned myself from playing for a while.

1st hole par 4 290 yards - Drove level with the green 30 yards left of the green. Should have chipped on and putted for birdie/par. Walked away with a triple bogey 7 !!!

Very deflated going to definitely stay away from the course now until I get some lessons and range time in.

I look at bad rounds as having a maximum badness. If you suck that day, you suck- matters little if it's 132 or 232. The swing wasn't working and the fix will be the same, regardless of what you scored. 

Plus, my hunch is that it's a wakeup call to get back to basics, and fix your fundamentals. It could be worse if you are stuck at a certain level that's better than that score you just had, cuz you could be ignoring the fact that you need to make a change. You've now got the motivation to figure it out and prove you can do better. There's fun in a challenge like that. 

Hang in there! Take your day of pity, then get back out there. Work smart. Find someone who knows what they're doing and can point you to your biggest priority. Then do the drills, make the change.  Hint: if you're browsing YouTube for tips, you're on the wrong path.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

5 minutes ago, RandallT said:

I look at bad rounds as having a maximum badness. If you suck that day, you suck- matters little if it's 132 or 232. The swing wasn't working and the fix will be the same, regardless of what you scored. 

Plus, my hunch is that it's a wakeup call to get back to basics, and fix your fundamentals. It could be worse if you are stuck at a certain level that's better than that score you just had, cuz you could be ignoring the fact that you need to make a change. You've now got the motivation to figure it out and prove you can do better. There's fun in a challenge like that. 

Hang in there! Take your day of pity, then get back out there. Work smart. Find someone who knows what they're doing and can point you to your biggest priority. Then do the drills, make the change.  Hint: if you're browsing YouTube for tips, you're on the wrong path.

I'm going back for a lesson in a few days time. The only positive I can take is that things can't get any worse. I mean if I took someone to play that had never hit a golf ball before they would have probably beaten me today.

I seem to struggle with coming over the top of the ball and slicing. I cannot seem to stop this no matter how much I try.

Anyway lessons and practice are the order of the day. And to think I had high hopes of breaking 90 today lol.

Note: This thread is 1037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!