IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Funny how bogey golf is there one week and a sweet memory the next. Played a course that I've shot 80s three times and had a 92 just a week ago. Pilled up a 100 on the damn thing as my driver went very sour.

A big frustration for me is that I can't really make any kind of significant adjustment on the course. In retrospect it is pretty obvious that I was allowing my arms to get too involved in the swing and that led to pull shots. Why this wasn't a conclusion I could have reached by yesterday's third hole is beyond me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny how bogey golf is there one week and a sweet memory the next. Played a course that I've shot 80s three times and had a 92 just a week ago. Pilled up a 100 on the damn thing as my driver went very sour. A big frustration for me is that I can't really make any kind of significant adjustment on the course. In retrospect it is pretty obvious that I was allowing my arms to get too involved in the swing and that led to pull shots. Why this wasn't a conclusion I could have reached by yesterday's third hole is beyond me.

You know you're improving, when a great score for you in the past becomes a terrible one. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Funny how bogey golf is there one week and a sweet memory the next. Played a course that I've shot 80s three times and had a 92 just a week ago. Pilled up a 100 on the damn thing as my driver went very sour.

A big frustration for me is that I can't really make any kind of significant adjustment on the course. In retrospect it is pretty obvious that I was allowing my arms to get too involved in the swing and that led to pull shots. Why this wasn't a conclusion I could have reached by yesterday's third hole is beyond me.

Making adjustments to your swing on the course is dangerous, in case you have forgotten what happened to me when I did it while we golfed together. I've started trying to just aim for whatever my current miss for the round is instead of "fixing" the problem and have seen a bit more success. I say "trying" because I still fall into the habit of trying to fix my swing now and then but the results are usually still bad when I do.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Making adjustments to your swing on the course is dangerous, in case you have forgotten what happened to me when I did it while we golfed together. I've started trying to just aim for whatever my current miss for the round is instead of "fixing" the problem and have seen a bit more success. I say "trying" because I still fall into the habit of trying to fix my swing now and then but the results are usually still bad when I do.

The round at Shelby Oaks? Can't remember much from that one other than my detonation on No. 9.

It sort of depends on what sort of adjustments you are talking about. In this case, I should have been able to recognize that I was actually pulling the club with my arms and simply stopped doing that. This never happened and the pulls continued for the entire stinking round.

The way I look at it, the pulls that I was hitting were bad enough that any adjustment couldn't have made things much worse. One situation where I'll sometimes adjust for the worse is when my lack of distance starts frustrating me. It seems that any mid-round attempt to add length to my meager little pokes will surely result in disaster.

You know you're improving, when a great score for you in the past becomes a terrible one.

Thanks.

Once the butt-hurt dies down a bit, you do remember when chunking up a 110 was a standard thing. It really wasn't all that long ago. Maybe in a couple years I can start getting pissed at a 90.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

You know you're improving, when a great score for you in the past becomes a terrible one.

Thanks.

Once the butt-hurt dies down a bit, you do remember when chunking up a 110 was a standard thing. It really wasn't all that long ago. Maybe in a couple years I can start getting pissed at a 90.

Yup, I do remember. :-D

Maybe in a couple years I can start getting pissed at a 90.

I see this in your future. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks.

It is interesting how perspective changes over time. Used to be I'd think "if only I didn't blow up on those 3 or 4 holes" now I think "if only I didn't blow up on those 2 or 3 holes" and soon it will be "if only I didn't blow up on that 1 or 2 holes"... It's part of why I've been able to keep from getting so angry this year, I'm really focusing on stepping back and looking at the whole picture/round instead of focusing on the bad shot/hole.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcanadiens

Thanks.

It is interesting how perspective changes over time. Used to be I'd think "if only I didn't blow up on those 3 or 4 holes" now I think "if only I didn't blow up on those 2 or 3 holes" and soon it will be "if only I didn't blow up on that 1 or 2 holes"... It's part of why I've been able to keep from getting so angry this year, I'm really focusing on stepping back and looking at the whole picture/round instead of focusing on the bad shot/hole.

If you play bogey on all holes then blow up 2 or 3, your best score is still north of 90. If you can par by regulation or scrambling with reasonable frequency, your game will improve a lot.

I blew up on two holes yesterday, and got 3 doubles to boot. It was the other holes that made my score just south of 90.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

If you play bogey on all holes then blow up 2 or 3, your best score is still north of 90. If you can par by regulation or scrambling with fair certainty, your game will improve a lot.

I blew up on two holes yesterday, and got 3 doubles to boot. It was the other holes that made my score reasonable.

I'm getting more pars than I have in the past. It's to the point where if I don't at least have a putt for par on a hole it's atypical. Per game golf stats over the last 10 rounds 70% of the time I'm scoring bogey or better with a scoring average of 1.14, which is a vast improvement. So, when I shoot a 95 or 93 *which has become pretty much a normal score for me* it's almost always directly attributable to having one or two 7s or 8s on the card. Also, right now, for me just north of 90 is pretty good. That's not to say it's where I want to be, but it does still show improvement over the high 90-low 100 scores I started out with this year.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Quote:

If you play bogey on all holes then blow up 2 or 3, your best score is still north of 90. If you can par by regulation or scrambling with fair certainty, your game will improve a lot.

I blew up on two holes yesterday, and got 3 doubles to boot. It was the other holes that made my score reasonable.

I'm getting more pars than I have in the past. It's to the point where if I don't at least have a putt for par on a hole it's atypical. Per game golf stats over the last 10 rounds 70% of the time I'm scoring bogey or better with a scoring average of 1.14, which is a vast improvement. So, when I shoot a 95 or 93 *which has become pretty much a normal score for me* it's almost always directly attributable to having one or two 7s or 8s on the card. Also, right now, for me just north of 90 is pretty good. That's not to say it's where I want to be, but it does still show improvement over the high 90-low 100 scores I started out with this year.

That's actually pretty good. You should be able to drop into the mid/low-teens pretty easily from where you are now.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

That's actually pretty good. You should be able to drop into the mid/low-teens pretty easily from where you are now.

That's what I am hoping for.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Quote:

Your weakness might be in the short game.

I'm currently working on trying to get closer to the pin to improve my scrambling percentage.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

Quote:

I'm currently working on trying to get closer to the pin to improve my scrambling percentage.

Then, it'd be relatively easier for @Jeremie Boop 's lower his handicap.

The main source my blow up holes are ball striking, more specifically, hitting them into OB area.   In the course of a round, I have to swing at least 40 times.   It comes down to 1 - 4 errant shots out of 40+ swings that decides if I had a good (< low 90s) round or not (> mid 90s).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Then, it'd be relatively easier for  @Jeremie Boop's lower his handicap.

The main source my blow up holes are ball striking, more specifically, hitting them into OB area.   In the course of a round, I have to swing at least 40 times.   It comes down to 1 - 4 errant shots out of 40+ swings that decides if I had a good (< low 90s) round or not (> mid 90s).

It could go either way, sure if I chipped/pitched it a bit closer for more one putts or made a few more one putts from where I end up now I'd drop some on my handicap. Or, I could not lose 2 to 4 shots from the one or two lost/ob balls per round. I think either one would net me about the same improvement. Or, I could do both and really see a marked improvement.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Then, it'd be relatively easier for  @Jeremie Boop's lower his handicap.

The main source my blow up holes are ball striking, more specifically, hitting them into OB area.   In the course of a round, I have to swing at least 40 times.   It comes down to 1 - 4 errant shots out of 40+ swings that decides if I had a good ( mid 90s).

It could go either way, sure if I chipped/pitched it a bit closer for more one putts or made a few more one putts from where I end up now I'd drop some on my handicap. Or, I could not lose 2 to 4 shots from the one or two lost/ob balls per round. I think either one would net me about the same improvement. Or, I could do both and really see a marked improvement.

Okay, short game and course management. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Okay, short game and course management.

:beer:

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I was off 27 this time last year, but have got down to 21.5 now. I feel confident of getting down to 20 by the end of the summer. The main reason was buying and mastering a new driver, very rarely go three off the tee now. Also hit nothing bigger than 6 iron of the fairway. My woods were so inconsistant. I just hit 6 iron even if I know I can't reach the green. This just leaves a wedge and a put or two for par or bogey.

Thought I finally had a handle on breaking 90 after a couple of solid rounds in the 80's. Played in a local tournament this weekend and shot 87 on day one. Unfortunately Sunday was a different story, started of well for 3 holes and parred the par 5's and then my trusted 3w decided it didn't want to play. Took 3 off the tee on a par 4 resulting in a 9 and just played terrible then on, adding a couple of snowmen on par 4's and finishing up with 99 !! This game can be so frustrating....back to the drawing board, have a seniors 1 day tournament on Thursday so better get out and try and get it back under control.

Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!