IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

After 3 rounds in high 90s, I went back to work on mid-iron/hybrid shot which caused number of OB/Ball-in-H/Ball not found.  I was coming over the top again.   That did the trick and I carded an 89 in the latest round.  Short game gave me fits though as I had too many 3 putts, and screwed up a number of chip & bunker shots. 

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

I had a great lesson last Friday with a follow up today.  Turns out I was casting the club at times which was taking my slight draw and turning it into a hook.  Of course it would show up at the worst times, ruining many rounds for me last season. 

I spent the weekend doing mirror work and taking practice swings to get the feel of not casting the club before impact and getting full arm extension and roll over after impact.  The hard work seems to be paying off as I was hitting the ball much better with a consistent slight draw of about 7-8 yards on 160 yards carry distance using a 6i on the simulator.  

Would it help if you two post in the 5 minutes practice threads?

The discipline of practicing every day no matter what was really helpful to me. It keeps my mind thinking about what my issues are and what to to to resolve them on a day to day basis.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Lihu said:

Would it help if you two post in the 5 minutes practice threads?

The discipline of practicing every day no matter what was really helpful to me. It keeps my mind thinking about what my issues are and what to to to resolve them on a day to day basis.

No need to.  I practice every day without having to post in the thread.  My problem is not putting together an efficient golf program to get the most out.  I am alternating between playing a round, and working on weak area at the moment.  But putting a structured training program seems too much like a work.

Today, I missed scoring in 80s by a stroke with a 90.  My ball striking was good again, making it a 2 straight days without a lost ball.   Bunker shots are killing my score even with focused practice sessions.   I get the balls out fine at range, but not in field.  The problem is mental.   Otherwise, the rest of short game was fine, yielding eight 1-putts vs zero 3-putts.  That led to 10 pars.   They were offset by 2 quads and a triple - ouch.

The HI is trending to 16.4.  Another round in 80s will get me out of the bogey golfer label.  :-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Just now, rkim291968 said:

No need to.  I practice every day without having to post in the thread.  My problem is not putting together an efficient golf program to get the most out.  I am alternating between playing a round, and working on weak area at the moment.  But putting a structured training program seems too much like a work.

Sometimes just writing it down makes you think about it and self critique it.

BTW, nice job on the improvements!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

8 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I had a great lesson last Friday with a follow up today.  Turns out I was casting the club at times which was taking my slight draw and turning it into a hook.  Of course it would show up at the worst times, ruining many rounds for me last season. 

I spent the weekend doing mirror work and taking practice swings to get the feel of not casting the club before impact and getting full arm extension and roll over after impact.  The hard work seems to be paying off as I was hitting the ball much better with a consistent slight draw of about 7-8 yards on 160 yards carry distance using a 6i on the simulator.  

Not bad.   You fixed it quick.    It took me an year to fix casting.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

22 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

Not bad.   You fixed it quick.    It took me an year to fix casting.

Thanks, unfortunately I've found mirror and range work don't always translate to the course so we'll see what happens whenever the weather allows me to get a round in.  

In my case. the casting was a conscious effort, thinking I was "releasing" the club, the resolution was to stop trying to release.  

My instructor had me start out trying to hit block shots then once I got the feel of not forcing a release (which was really a cast) it fell into place pretty naturally.  I'm still working on getting comfortable with maintaining full arm extension after I make contact with the ball.  

Joe Paradiso

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Thanks, unfortunately I've found mirror and range work don't always translate to the course so we'll see what happens whenever the weather allows me to get a round in.  

In my case. the casting was a conscious effort, thinking I was "releasing" the club, the resolution was to stop trying to release.  

My instructor had me start out trying to hit block shots then once I got the feel of not forcing a release (which was really a cast) it fell into place pretty naturally.  I'm still working on getting comfortable with maintaining full arm extension after I make contact with the ball.  

In my case, I didn't even know how I developed casting.  I noticed my ball flight going very high and didn't think twice about it until my 1st ever 1 on 1 swing instruction revealed how bad it was.   I did all kind of drills to fix it.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

13 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Today, I missed scoring in 80s by a stroke with a 90.  My ball striking was good again, making it a 2 straight days without a lost ball.   Bunker shots are killing my score even with focused practice sessions.   I get the balls out fine at range, but not in field.  The problem is mental.   Otherwise, the rest of short game was fine, yielding eight 1-putts vs zero 3-putts.  That led to 10 pars.   They were offset by 2 quads and a triple - ouch.

The HI is trending to 16.4.  Another round in 80s will get me out of the bogey golfer label.  :-)

ugh... that would have burned me. Good job not letting that take you out of the round completely. 

For the past 8 months or so, I've been concentrating on things other than golf and so I've regressed a little. I'll have a decent round (hi 80's/low 90's) followed by a miserable round (pushing 100).  Not beating myself up too bad for it, but I'm trying to get back on the horse now that things have settled down for me. 

I hope to be a regular participant in this thread, the 5 minutes a day thread, and my swing thread in the coming months and Lord willing, watch my scores drop over that time as well. :beer:

• Upvote 1

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

21 minutes ago, divot dave said:

ugh... that would have burned me. Good job not letting that take you out of the round completely.

Quads and Triples happen for lots of reasons, the one shot at a time mentality really helps. If you let them get to you, then you can't perform at your best on subsequent holes. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Quads and Triples happen for lots of reasons, the one shot at a time mentality really helps. If you let them get to you, then you can't perform at your best on subsequent holes. . .

tru dat

IN MY BAG

When things go wrong, I completely concentrate on getting the ball on the green at all costs - even if it is farther from the hole then I want. Just get it on there and putt.

1 hour ago, 808hacker said:

When things go wrong, I completely concentrate on getting the ball on the green at all costs - even if it is farther from the hole then I want. Just get it on there and putt.

Depending upon how far you are from the green, this could be either good or bad. For instance, if you are 240 yards away, that's a lot harder to do than if you are 130 yards away.

I would hit the longest safest club you can to get closer to the green. This will likely cost less strokes. Of course, this heavily depends upon your shot zones (See LSW).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I agree. I should have clarified - when I am close the the green and screwing up. Usually this is when I am trying to get cute and get it close to the hole and making mistakes.

9 hours ago, divot dave said:

For the past 8 months or so, I've been concentrating on things other than golf and so I've regressed a little. I'll have a decent round (hi 80's/low 90's) followed by a miserable round (pushing 100).  Not beating myself up too bad for it, but I'm trying to get back on the horse now that things have settled down for me. 

I hope to be a regular participant in this thread, the 5 minutes a day thread, and my swing thread in the coming months and Lord willing, watch my scores drop over that time as well. :beer:

Looking forward to following your progress.

Carded an 88 today.  This got my HI to 16.0.  I can now smell breaking out of playing bogey golf.   I need to have another 90 or better round to get my HI to fall below 16.   I am having an orgasm just thinking about it.

Again, ball striking was excellent, relatively speaking.  I lost one ball which I could not find it out of 10 inch tall rough.   In the last 3 rounds, it's the only ball I've lost.  I did everything solid except playing out of bunker.  It's time to double down on bunker practice.   I am losing about 2 strokes per round b/c of it.

One major thing that I've improved is 3W.  The trick was to grip it short to 3h length.  By doing that, I am hitting 3W as accurate as I do with 3H but still hit 10 yards longer.  As I get more comfortable with 3W, I will grip it longer.

Life is good.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

10 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

...Again, ball striking was excellent, relatively speaking.  I lost one ball which I could not find it out of 10 inch tall rough.   In the last 3 rounds, it's the only ball I've lost.  I did everything solid except playing out of bunker.  It's time to double down on bunker practice.   I am losing about 2 strokes per round b/c of it.

One major thing that I've improved is 3W.  The trick was to grip it short to 3h length.  By doing that, I am hitting 3W as accurate as I do with 3H but still hit 10 yards longer.  As I get more comfortable with 3W, I will grip it longer.

Life is good.

congratulations, that is an accomplishment in and of itself!

IN MY BAG

Poor bunker shots are holding me back from breaking out of bogey golfer land.   I am losing 2 - 5 strokes in every round b/c of it.   Yesterday's round was no exception.   Who said practice makes it perfect?  In practice session, I have no issue getting the ball out.   In field, not so much.  

Carded a 94 yesterday which will keep my next official HI to 16.1.   I hope to play one more round before 2/29 to see if I can get my official HI below 16.0.  Staying below 16 HI is my 2016 TST golf goal.  I need to get there first and this is my chance.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Bogey golfers hit some errant tee shots and miss a lot of greens. That means there are a lot of opportunities for scrambling to get it up and down from near the green. That is the greatest skill that most of us lack. More than putting, more than ball striking, more than course management. It is the short shots from around the green that need work to break 90 for most people.

If there is one thing that has helped me to improve my game it is shot accuracy. I have been working especially on driving and pitching accuracy. By becoming more accurate on tees shots I have noticed that I am able to avoid most water hazards, woods, roughs and bunkers which basically translates into less strokes per round. Last year was the first time ever I was able to shot below 90 when I shot a 86 & an 87. My hope is to do even better this year with the new driver and hybrid which I added to my bag.

:cobra:

9 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Poor bunker shots are holding me back from breaking out of bogey golfer land.   I am losing 2 - 5 strokes in every round b/c of it.   Yesterday's round was no exception.   Who said practice makes it perfect?  In practice session, I have no issue getting the ball out.   In field, not so much.  

Carded a 94 yesterday which will keep my next official HI to 16.1.   I hope to play one more round before 2/29 to see if I can get my official HI below 16.0.  Staying below 16 HI is my 2016 TST golf goal.  I need to get there first and this is my chance.

You're posting lower scores which is great, congrats.  

What do you think is the main reason you're losing 2 - 5 strokes from the bunkers (mental or technique)?  Are you certain the bunkers are costing you 2-5 strokes and that pin placement is just making easy up and downs more difficult?  I thought I heard them mention during the Honda when Sergio was in the bunker today on 17 or 18 that only 4 out of 17 pros made an up and down from it. 

Keep playing you'll get there.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!