IGNORED

Drone Flyover of My Home Course

JonMA1
Note: This thread is 2684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://caberfaepeaks.com/golf/course-layout/

I went online to show a co-worker my home course yesterday and discovered they now have video I assume was taken from a drone.

Seems like this would be a common thing to do, but I rarely see it when visiting course websites. Anyway, I thought it was a cool idea and it really does a nice job of showing what to look for when playing this course.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had to laugh, a long time ago my uncle had an A-Frame lodge at Caberfae.  I never got to ski there, and there was no golf course at the time.  Even so, you've brought back some good memories.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I like that it allows selection of each hole with description and scorecard yardages.
I'm sure the flyover will gain popularity with golf courses.

Years ago when flyovers first became popular, most were a continuous video.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I had to laugh, a long time ago my uncle had an A-Frame lodge at Caberfae.  I never got to ski there, and there was no golf course at the time.  Even so, you've brought back some good memories.

I always thought the course was much older, but yeah, I looked it up and it didn't open until 1995.

What did you do while you were visiting? Morel mushroom hunting by chance?

The area is still undeveloped and somewhat remote. There was talk a couple years ago of adding a back 9 but I haven't heard anything lately.

There are so many courses up here and some nice ones (or so I hear). Arcadia Bluffs is a public course that is in the top 100 in the country. Crystal Downs is a private club and is ranked 11th in the country and 18th in the world. I have a co-worker in the off-season who is a greenskeeper for Crystal Downs during the rest of the year.

Jon

3 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

http://caberfaepeaks.com/golf/course-layout/

I went online to show a co-worker my home course yesterday and discovered they now have video I assume was taken from a drone.

Seems like this would be a common thing to do, but I rarely see it when visiting course websites. Anyway, I thought it was a cool idea and it really does a nice job of showing what to look for when playing this course.

The drone craze seems like a total natural for golf. If Amazon can deliver small packages maybe a drone can at least track our ball and hover over it so we can find it,

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

26 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

The drone craze seems like a total natural for golf. If Amazon can deliver small packages maybe a drone can at least track our ball and hover over it so we can find it,

I'm not very knowledgable when if comes to that technology, but I can imagine there are a lot of practical applications for drone video.

I just thought it did a nice job showing hazards, the sizes of the greens, how close the trees are, angles of approach shots, and the bottleneck fairways I am all too familiar with. It's hard to get that from Google Maps or a scorecard illustration.

Who knows... at some point they may have interactive video with GPS distances and topographical maps.

Jon

Ah Caberfae - where my son broke his collar bone.
I can attest that the hospital in Cadillac provides good service.

And close to Arcadia Bluffs & Tullymore/St. Ives, but I ought to get up to Caberfae and Crystal

Players play, tough players win!

(edited)

Ouch. I hope it healed well. 

My son suffered a minor concussion while snowboarding at Caberfae and a trip to Mercy Hospital's ER several winters back.

If you do make it up here and you need a playing partner, please let me know @Wally Fairway. I'm 20 minutes from both Crystal Mt and Caberfae.

Tullymore/St. Ives look like beautiful courses, btw.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

13 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I always thought the course was much older, but yeah, I looked it up and it didn't open until 1995.

What did you do while you were visiting? Morel mushroom hunting by chance?

The area is still undeveloped and somewhat remote. There was talk a couple years ago of adding a back 9 but I haven't heard anything lately.

There are so many courses up here and some nice ones (or so I hear). Arcadia Bluffs is a public course that is in the top 100 in the country. Crystal Downs is a private club and is ranked 11th in the country and 18th in the world. I have a co-worker in the off-season who is a greenskeeper for Crystal Downs during the rest of the year.

I remember visiting there during summers through my teenage years.  Another uncle had a place in Thompsonville, on the Betsie River, so we used to visit both, do a little fishing and golf.  Later on, my folks moved to Traverse City (I was in college at Michigan Tech), so my entire summers were around that area.  I spent one summer working at a little course called Elmbrook, and played most of my golf there.  

We did get to play Crystal Downs just once.  I'm not sure how, I think my uncle kind of bluffed our way in, but it was great.  I wish I could play it now, I've learned a whole lot more about golf, and golf architecture, since those olden days.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I remember visiting there during summers through my teenage years.  Another uncle had a place in Thompsonville, on the Betsie River, so we used to visit both, do a little fishing and golf.  Later on, my folks moved to Traverse City (I was in college at Michigan Tech), so my entire summers were around that area.  I spent one summer working at a little course called Elmbrook, and played most of my golf there.

You know the area well. I work in Traverse and have played the back 9 at Elmbrook. Not my favorite course but it sure packs in the golfers. Went to use their range one afternoon and couldn't believe how many carts were lined up waiting to get out.

Their website now has a flyover of the course as well.

Jon

Note: This thread is 2684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!