IGNORED

Question about Senior shafts

MS84
Note: This thread is 2644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I do not have a driver as yet and from the reviews I have read I have narrowed it down to a handful that i think would be ideal for me to get some experience with before investing in a decent one. I have been offered a nike covert 2.0 driver that has been used a handful of times for a good price. The issue is that it comes with a senior shaft.

I am 31, so I would not quite class myself as a senior just yet. My handicap is not great, probably around 25, although I have managed the odd par and birdie (once). My swing I do not think is the fastest, although I do not know how fast or slow (I am not sure if you needed that info or not).

So, am I likely to notice an real difference between a normal shaft and a shaft designed for seniors?

33 minutes ago, MS84 said:

I do not have a driver as yet and from the reviews I have read I have narrowed it down to a handful that i think would be ideal for me to get some experience with before investing in a decent one. I have been offered a nike covert 2.0 driver that has been used a handful of times for a good price. The issue is that it comes with a senior shaft.

I am 31, so I would not quite class myself as a senior just yet. My handicap is not great, probably around 25, although I have managed the odd par and birdie (once). My swing I do not think is the fastest, although I do not know how fast or slow (I am not sure if you needed that info or not).

So, am I likely to notice an real difference between a normal shaft and a shaft designed for seniors?

Yes most likely. Senior shafts are made for slower swings. Most shaft manufacturers will define that speed. If your swing speed with a driver is over 85mph, generally, then you don't want to use a senior shaft. It will be difficult to control. 

My advice would be to go to a golf shop with a simulator and determine what swing speed you have and work from there.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It really has nothing to do with age. It depends really on swing speed, how aggressive or smooth you are from the top of the swing, and personal preference. The "A" Flex, which is called "senior" today, used to stand for "Amateur". 

As a guideline, if you are hitting your 5-iron more than 150 yards, or driver more than about 220, or a little less than that if you are aggressively loading the shaft from the top (or have a quick tempo), you might want something stiffer than an A-Flex.

But it really comes down mostly to feel. The shaft won't directly impact the performance of the club that much. At a slower speed, you might actually gain a bit of distance from the kick in a more flexible shaft. At a faster speed, the problem will come if the feel of the shaft being more flexible causes you to alter the speed and timing of your swing. 

• Upvote 1

As the studies on golfer have demonstrated, golfers, including myself have different results using the different flexes.  Some slower swing speeds perform slightly better with dispersion and distance using a slightly stiffer shaft and shaft profile set up.  Suggest trying several during the journey.

• Upvote 1

I guess another point is, there are no real standards for measuring flex, so an "A" flex in one model can even be equivalent to an "S" flex in another. Might want to know what model shaft the Nike driver is. I think the stock shafts sometimes do run a little more flexible than after market shafts, as well. 

32 minutes ago, Hatchman said:

As the studies on golfer have demonstrated, golfers, including myself have different results using the different flexes.  Some slower swing speeds perform slightly better with dispersion and distance using a slightly stiffer shaft and shaft profile set up.  Suggest trying several during the journey.

I would agree with that also. For instance, I recently got on a launch monitor at Dick's to see how I would do with a stiff flex. I wanted to do  so, because I accidentally ordered the wrong flex  and wanted to see if I would be able to hit it, but the vendor says that they would only accept returns on equipment that was NOT used (even for only a swing or two).  Anyway...all the drives on the monitor felt terrific even though the numbers were on the low side as far as swing speed. The other numbers were not bad insofar as launch angle, AoA, e.t.c.   I bought another driver, but went with Regular Flex in an offset head.  My swing speed is around 80 mph on the monitor.

2 minutes ago, acerimusdux said:

I guess another point is, there are no real standards for measuring flex, so an "A" flex in one model can even be equivalent to an "S" flex in another. Might want to know what model shaft the Nike driver is. I think the stock shafts sometimes do run a little more flexible than after market shafts, as well. 

Yes, that too.  I have a driver with an "A", flex that has a lot more whip than another that I have that is  marked "women's". 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I am right between a Senior and Regular flex. I suggest you try the regular flex. My SS is not is not the great but I hit R shafts better than A shafts. Todays Senior or A shafts are stiffer than they used to be. I would try a lot of different shafts. A good fitting might be the best idea. 

Spoiler

Consider not just flex, but also weight.

My FlyZ 4H has a senior flex shaft, but it weighs 75 grams. It just works. (Thanks to fitter.)

My other clubs are R-flex.

As others say, get a fitting.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up going to see a golf pro I know who gave me a couple of clubs to try out at a driving range.

Of the 2 he gave me, I ended up opting for a cobra max. I was consistantly getting 150 yards from it, albeit it with a hefty hook. But it is about 140 yards more than the Ping G15 I was testing.

I know 150 is not great, but when I learn to hit it straight and with a bit of practice and the roll, I can hopefully start getting maybe 200 from it.

On 1/22/2017 at 3:16 PM, parman said:

I am right between a Senior and Regular flex. I suggest you try the regular flex. My SS is not is not the great but I hit R shafts better than A shafts. Todays Senior or A shafts are stiffer than they used to be. I would try a lot of different shafts. A good fitting might be the best idea. 

Reveal hidden contents

Nice to see this as well as others above agree that the stiffer shaft when between two can work, just as can the less stiff, regardless of actual swing speed. 

OP as has been stated, just using those indoor machines to narrow down flex possibilities is well worth your time, and it cost you nothing more. As for the senior flex, having that re shafted is a very minimal charge.

Back when all shafts were steel, this was the rule of thumb for everyone on the line for shaft flex:

R-flex in woods for distance.

S-flex in irons for control. (Note: some of the oldtime clubfitters would soft-step the 2i and 3i and not tell the players. Softstep helped with launch).

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Graphite shafts can out in early 1970s and by 1973 most pros were using them. I am right between a R and an A depending on who made the shaft. I can say for ME the stiffer shafts go farther. They have more torque in the release if you can swing hard enough to bend them properly. JMHO

Note: This thread is 2644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!