IGNORED

Baylor scandal

Wanzo
Note: This thread is 2666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Because it's the student-athletes themselves committing such heinous acts, this is much worse than the Penn State scandal. If the NCAA wants to invoke the death penalty ever again, Baylor football couldn't be a more deserving program to receive it.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Nuke the whole program. Burn it to the dirt, and start over. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

28 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Because it's the student-athletes themselves committing such heinous acts, this is much worse than the Penn State scandal. If the NCAA wants to invoke the death penalty ever again, Baylor football couldn't be a more deserving program to receive it.

Certainly not justifying it, but how does the fact that it's students make it worse?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

27 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

You can't categorize one as worse than the other.  The actions done are equally egregious. Just because it was the student-athletes, does not make it worse. 

9 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

Nuke the whole program. Burn it to the dirt, and start over. 

I pretty much agree. I think the Baylor football program should be suspended from playing football for at least 5 years. Any athletes that did not have anything to do with the crime should be allowed to transfer with out penalty. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Because it's the student-athletes themselves committing such heinous acts, this is much worse than the Penn State scandal.

I'm with @14ledo81: I see the PS thing as worse. Much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

At Penn State it appeared to be people exploiting a position of power, trust, and authority, which I would agree to be worse.

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

I have to agree. PS supposedly had "grown ups" in charge, and yet they allowed Sandusky access to the facilities in order to continue his child molestation. This is just sick and evil!

49 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

You can't categorize one as worse than the other.  The actions done are equally egregious. Just because it was the student-athletes, does not make it worse. 

I pretty much agree. I think the Baylor football program should be suspended from playing football for at least 5 years. Any athletes that did not have anything to do with the crime should be allowed to transfer with out penalty. 

Yeah, no reason to even try to parse which is worse, excuse they're both completely awful. 

Art Briles should never be allowed to work in football again, for a start, if not outright prosecuted. All of those dudes should be blacklisted, at the very least. 

Someday, someone is going to have to explain to me how the Penn State program escaped harsher penalties. That should've been a decade-worth of sanctions, turned up to 11. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I think I'll reserve judgement until some evidence other than the filing of a civil suit comes out.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I think I'll reserve judgement until some evidence other than the filing of a civil suit comes out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/lawsuit-alleges-baylor-football-rape-scandal-more-widespread-than-reported/2017/01/27/38e93d3e-e4e0-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.70a29dfe7ca9

"Baylor’s president, athletic director and head football coach all lost their jobs last year after an independent investigation found that athletic department leadership left women on campus at risk by discouraging victims from reporting assaults and keeping accusations against Bears players quiet."

The news article isn't stating that something has happened because it has already been found out that Baylor players sexually assaulted and rapped women. The news article is saying that it is larger than was already has been proven to happen. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I'll re-phrase that. Within the context of "should the NCAA shut the football program down based on the allegations," I didn't think that Penn State warranted the death penalty, because although the Paterno influence needed to be removed immediately, the sins of the program didn't extend to the student-athletes themselves. That's clearly not the case at Baylor, and Baylor football seems to be beyond saving at this point.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

3 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

I'll re-phrase that. Within the context of "should the NCAA shut the football program down based on the allegations," I didn't think that Penn State warranted the death penalty, because although the Paterno influence needed to be removed immediately, the sins of the program didn't extend to the student-athletes themselves. That's clearly not the case at Baylor, and Baylor football seems to be beyond saving at this point.

It doesn't matter if it is the players actions or the staff. In either case there was a systemic failure to the point that it wasn't an isolated incident, but a failure of the football program. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/lawsuit-alleges-baylor-football-rape-scandal-more-widespread-than-reported/2017/01/27/38e93d3e-e4e0-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.70a29dfe7ca9

"Baylor’s president, athletic director and head football coach all lost their jobs last year after an independent investigation found that athletic department leadership left women on campus at risk by discouraging victims from reporting assaults and keeping accusations against Bears players quiet."

The news article isn't stating that something has happened because it has already been found out that Baylor players sexually assaulted and rapped women. The news article is saying that it is larger than was already has been proven to happen. 

Discouraging reporting alleged assaults and making accusations is wrong.  That's why they were fired.  I still haven't seen any proof that rapes or other assaults have been proven to have occurred, unless there's something I'm missing.  Have there been any prosecutions?

Does anyone remember the Duke  Lacrosse team?

I'm NOT condoning any bad acts.  I'm simply not rushing to judgement.

In David's bag....

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Discouraging reporting alleged assaults and making accusations is wrong.  That's why they were fired.  I still haven't seen any proof that rapes or other assaults have been proven to have occurred, unless there's something I'm missing.  Have there been any prosecutions?

Does anyone remember the Duke  Lacrosse team?

I'm NOT condoning any bad acts.  I'm simply not rushing to judgement.

This is one of the original stories about the investigation the regents found. The news article posted in this thread says that the number found originally was much lower. 

http://nypost.com/2016/10/28/horrifying-details-of-baylor-sexual-assault-scandal-revealed/

"Details have finally emerged from the series of sexual assaults involving the Baylor football team, and it predictably isn’t pretty.

In a series of interviews with the Wall Street Journal, Baylor regents tell the paper that the scandal involved 17 women who reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four gang rapes, since 2011."

Notice they use the word, including, when saying gang rapes. Meaning that they group together rapes with sexual assault. 

Yes there was evidence. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

This is one of the original stories about the investigation the regents found. The news article posted in this thread says that the number found originally was much lower. 

http://nypost.com/2016/10/28/horrifying-details-of-baylor-sexual-assault-scandal-revealed/

"Details have finally emerged from the series of sexual assaults involving the Baylor football team, and it predictably isn’t pretty.

In a series of interviews with the Wall Street Journal, Baylor regents tell the paper that the scandal involved 17 women who reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four gang rapes, since 2011."

Notice they use the word, including, when saying gang rapes. Meaning that they group together rapes with sexual assault. 

Yes there was evidence. 

Reported.  Again, any prosecutions?

It sounds as if Baylor has been on top of it and has taken action as necessary against the staff that discouraged possible victims from coming forward.  

In David's bag....

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Reported.  Again, any prosecutions?

It sounds as if Baylor has been on top of it and has taken action as necessary against the staff that discouraged possible victims from coming forward.  

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/baylor-football-player-convicted-of-sexual-assault/article_00adce9a-be02-515c-ad4e-f8e5149df707.html

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2016/04/13/ex-baylor-football-player-shawn-oakman-arrested-after-sexual-assault-accusation

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 2666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!