IGNORED

Goals for 2008

FIJIGolf23
Note: This thread is 5662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First off, lose some weight. I had foot problems last year, led to surgery, spent too much time on my butt in front of the t.v. Now that the foot is getting better, I'd like to get back to my norm.

Good Luck on everything! With losing the weight - I lost around 25lbs in a couple months. (from 207 down to 180) All by counting calories. search calorie count about.com - sign up for an account, and get started. It's great for us guys - it gives us a baseline for what we burn per day just sitting on our asses . . . eat below to lose, eat above to gain - eat around that number to maintain. Very logical.

My Goals for 2008 are : Re-commit myself to improving my swing and game. I've been getting worse for the past 3 years. Take lessons from a reputable teacher here in town Play more golf on the company dollar, and take more clients out.

3-PW: PowerBilt Grandslam Cavity - OLD (14 yrs maybe.)
SW: Cleavland Clone 56
5w: PowerBilt Grandslam oversized
Putter : PGA ping style

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goals -

Putting -
Basically hole more puts, simple as that.

Wedges -
Acheive more spin control

General -
I'm fairly fit, I work out twice a week in the gym but im going to try and go 3 or 4 times this year.

I would like to get my handicap down to 4 by July.

For the year:

Improve my putting - I'd like to start making more in the 4-8 ft range and drastically improve my lag putting, this is far and away the weakest part of my game.

Each round I play this year, I have 2 main goals I keep in mind:

- No 3 putts (focus on lag putting)

- Nothing higher than a 5 on the card (take advantage of par 5's)

My bag:

Driver: Cobra AMP 9.5 degree w/ GD6 stiff flex shaft

3 Wood: Ping Anser 14.5 degree THC-800 stiff flex shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19 degree Mitsubishi Kiani Blue stiff flex shaft

Irons: Nike Pro Combo Tour 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Wedges: Titleist Bob Vokey 52-8, 56-11 and 60-4

Putter: 2-Ball White Steel, 34" bent 1 degree flat

Improve Consistency: Although it's a rather generic goal, I think it is something that is beneficial to people of all skill levels. I want to become more consistent off the box when I swing my driver. I am fairly decent iron player, but it's hard to make the much needed birdie when I'm swinging 2-iron off the box.
End of season goal = <65% of FW with Driver

Improve to a Single Digit Handicap: Last year, I had set an unrealistic goal for myself (to break par) and I was left with an empty feeling inside at the end of the season. I believe that breaking par is something I will achieve one day, but perhaps not this season. A realistic goal for myself is to lower my handicap into the single digits. This alone would speak more about my game than a lone 69 in my record book. I would rather be able to consistently shoot 5 or 6 over every round than shoot 84-86 and get lucky one day and break par. By lowering my handicap, I will open the door to breaking par more than once, and hopefully keep improving
End of season goal = >9 handicap

Lower My Average Putt Total : Putting has always been my biggest weakness. I'm a good athlete and have a natural swing, but I have never been able to grasp the concept of putting. I'm not a terrible putter (Averaged about 34 per round last season) but I should be able to improve on that. If I can eliminate the occasional 3-putt and be able to stand over those pesky 6-7 footers with confidence, I believe I will be able to accomplish my previously stated goal of becoming a single digit handicapper.
End of season goal = average 30 putts per round

These are my top 3 goals of the season. I am already starting off on the right track and have a lot of confidence coming into the summer. I have been consistently posting 83's and 82's that could have easily been 78's and 79's. The biggest problem has been 3 putts and poor game management. I tend to blow up on 15 or 16 when I look at the score card and realize that I'm only 6 over. For example, I was at a local course last Saturday with my roommate and was playing wonderful. I had made it to 15, the nastiest Par 5 on earth, and was only 6 over. Well, against my better judgement, I tried to attack the pin and came up short in the water. I completely went on tilt and ended up finishing triple, double, birdie, double. For those that aren't mathmatically blessed, that's +6 through 14 and +6 on the last four holes. Once I can elminate the stupid things like that, I will be right on track to accomplishing all my goals!
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

1) to hit my Driver more consistently in the fairways, tired of being behind the 8ball on my 2nd shot.

2) to read greens better and to get better at lagging my putts closer to the cup on those long green putts.

3) to hit my fairway woods off the carpet more.....and not be hestitate to do so

I just want to get over this rotator cuff strain so I can play golf again. I haven't played since November and the weather here is awesome right now.

In my bag:
Launcher 460 9 degree aldila stiff shaft
13 degree fairway wood aldila stiff shaft
Halo 2i hybrid stiff shaft
CG4 irons 4 thru PW regular graphite shaftsCG10 wedges 52,56, and 60 degreeOdyssey Putter #4

Get into the low 90s/high 80s Last year I had a few games in the 90's but I have never had a game in the 80's... After all I have only been golfing for about 3 years now but I think I can count the total number of time I went last year on one hand....
Work on putting It always seams like I make it to the green with one shot to make par. Then it will take me 3 puts to finish the hole.
Play more Last year I think I made it out like once a month maybe. This year my partner and I have agreed to attempt to get out AT LEAST once a week.

Nothing like waiting four months to put your 2008 goals in writing:

- I finished 07 at 8.8 index. Goal by end of 08 is to finish at 7.0 index or better.
- Take at least 12 hours of lessons minimum (have 2 in the books already). This includes some on-the-course, 9-hole lessons I have planned and a "10-pack" of hour long sessions I bought.
- Complete at least 20 range sessions of 45 minutes or more (have 9 in the books already).
- Complete at least 25 short game practice sessions of 45 minutes or more (have 4 in the books already; need to focus on this more, but the wet turf has been an issue thus far).
- Do not throw a club more than five yards from where I stand (thus eliminating the embarassing "I've lost all control and now must die" type of throw).
- Break 80 at least 6 times.
- Win at least 3 matches in club championship (first club championship I'll participate in).
- Play at least 80 rounds (82 last year). This includes tournaments, scrambles, match plays, etc.
- Break 90 when I play Pebble Beach in June.
- Play at least 10 times with my dad (have 2 in the books already and at least 1 more already scheduled - at Pebble).
- Play at least 25 new courses I've never played before (have 12 in the books already and at least 10 more already scheduled/planned).

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

First off I just played the Jimmie Austin (in Norman, Oklahoma) and it has been about 3 years since golf lessons and even playing. I have been busy with school so I guess I have an alright excuse.

GOALS for 2008
Get my score back down in 80's
Fix my slice
Hit atleast par on 8 or 9 holes :)
Save up money for a fitted set (preferrably Callaway or Titleist)
Have fun no matter where my ball ends up

If I can accomplish atleast 3 of these goals, I will consider 2008 an accomplished year.'

Best of Luck With Your Own Goals

My goal for 2008 is to suprise my father with a golf trip to Scotland. It's high time for a father/son trip across the pond. I've wanted to take him over there for sometime as a thanks for, well you know--all the guff he's giving me. And after several years of living the carefree, vagabond lifestyle, I've finally set myself in a position to buy his ticket. I'm making plans for the early fall. It will be a huge birthday present!

My goal for 2008 is to suprise my father with a golf trip to Scotland. It's high time for a father/son trip across the pond. I've wanted to take him over there for sometime as a thanks for, well you know--all the guff he's giving me. And after several years of living the carefree, vagabond lifestyle, I've finally set myself in a position to buy his ticket. I'm making plans for the early fall. It will be a huge birthday present!

Do that Father/Son Essay contest on the golfchannel.com/fathersday. It'll be cool if you won. I know I would if my son could write at age 2, lol. gl.

DR: Insight XTD Pro DF2400X 9.5 w/YSQ AD 65g S-flex
4W: Insight 16.5 Stiff
3,4 Hybrid: Idea Pro
5I - GW: Idea Pro -1 degree
SW: RST-DSG 56LW: RST-DSG 60Putter: Newport 2 DetourBall: TP Red

get below a ten handicap am 15 now and break 80

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

Do that Father/Son Essay contest on the golfchannel.com/fathersday. It'll be cool if you won. I know I would if my son could write at age 2, lol. gl.

That's a great suggestion. I already have the idea for the essay.

Break 80..

Driver- HiBore XL 9.5°
Hybrids- #3,#4 and #5
Irons- RAC CB/MB combo
Wedge- Vokey 52° Oil Can
56° CG-1060° CG-10Putter- CorzaBall-Bag- '08 Monaco

Note: This thread is 5662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!