IGNORED

Death by Burpee

Typhoon92
Note: This thread is 2621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Try this...you'll laugh at first but let's see how far you get.  I did it today at the end of my workout.

20 minute cap. ...so for instance minute 1 you do 1 burpee then rest the remainder of the minute.  Minute 2, 2 burpees and rest the remainder of the minute..so...

Minute 1 you do one burpee

Minute 2 you do 2 burpees.

Minute 3 you do 3 burpees etc...

If you make it to the end, the last one is minute 20 you so 20 burpees

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

Try this...you'll laugh at first but let's see how far you get.  I did it today at the end of my workout.

20 minute cap. ...so for instance minute 1 you do 1 burpee then rest the remainder of the minute.  Minute 2, 2 burpees and rest the remainder of the minute..so...

Minute 1 you do one burpee

Minute 2 you do 2 burpees.

Minute 3 you do 3 burpees etc...

If you make it to the end, the last one is minute 20 you so 20 burpees

A ladder.  A very common way to build reps and subsequently endurance and strength.

You can do the same with reps of any exercise.  Push ups, pull ups, lifting reps, whatever.  Another, somewhat better option is to increase the rep by one through a set number, such as 5, and then decrease by one back down to zero.  When that becomes easy, add one to the top number and continue.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

When did they start calling them 'burpees'. When I was a kid, we called them squat thrusts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It sounds innocuous because you the starting reps are minimal. But by the end of 20 minutes, you will have done 210 burpees. Brutal......

More to the point, the last 10 minutes will involve 155 of the 210 burpees. Seems to me like you would have to be in pretty elite shape to complete that circuit. I'll give it a try at the gym today and see how far I can get.

I completed 12 minutes, crapping out on the 13th set. And was exhausted afterwards. I'm no Olympian, but I'm in decent shape. 

16 is pretty damn impressive. 

I'm not sure 20 is even physically possible. Each burpee rep takes 2-3 seconds, and much closer to 3 as the fatigue starts to set in. Someone would basically have to do almost 60 uninterrupted burpees at the tail end of that workout to complete it. 

On 2/18/2017 at 5:50 AM, boogielicious said:

When did they start calling them 'burpees'. When I was a kid, we called them squat thrusts.

They are actually two different exercises, although very similar 

With burpees we go  " chest to floor"... You're right, not the same as squat thrusts for sure.

We have one girl, who blows everyone away with doing more rounds than anyone.  Tiny young girl in excellent shape.  She was the only one to do 20.  Next was a few of us at 16.  Most were in the 11-12 range.  Burpees are a great all around exercise anyway...this made it a killer.

1 hour ago, Hardspoon said:

Yeah - the squat thrust doesn't have the jump at the end.

Nor a push up.

Probably the best way to describe a burpee is, a squat thrust, adding a push up and a jump.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Too slow at the start. Haha...interesting, though. We integrate burpees into the workouts at the boxing gym. They are great, and they can get you pretty gassed. I like doing them holding a medicine ball or a couple small dumbells. I few years back I tore the cartilage in my knee pretty bad doing them - and that lead to an extensive surgery. All better now!

Need to add: I've found (if you want to try something different) that my pace with small dumbells is 10 burpees per minute. For me, the killer set is 30 of them in a 3-minute round with 8 or 10 pound dumbells. Tough to do. 2 or 3 round of that and you'll be ready for a cold beer! 

Edited by HitAndGiggle
  • Upvote 1

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

Note: This thread is 2621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!