IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

• Administrator

So, your grip being in the palm is why it has to roll from "fake strong" at setup to twisted left at impact.

Setup:

image.png

Impact:

image.png

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Let me also say this @woodzie264: I think you can play "good" golf with a palmy grip. I also think it's a relatively "easy" (once you do it) thing that is only really going to help.

Have you seen the video of me in the green shirt gripping a club?

I feel like maybe when you set the club down, you don't un-hinge your wrists enough, and that's when the club may slide up into your palm.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

43 minutes ago, iacas said:

Let me also say this @woodzie264: I think you can play "good" golf with a palmy grip. I also think it's a relatively "easy" (once you do it) thing that is only really going to help.

Have you seen the video of me in the green shirt gripping a club?

I feel like maybe when you set the club down, you don't un-hinge your wrists enough, and that's when the club may slide up into your palm.

I have watched it...and I feel like my grip is correct when I take my grip...but there is no denying that it slips at some point into my palm (which is the frustrating part because I already know where it needs to be, I put it there, but it doesn't stay. I have tried giving it a death grip to maintain, but then I would expect the extra tension isn't good either.  

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

I have watched it...and I feel like my grip is correct when I take my grip...but there is no denying that it slips at some point into my palm (which is the frustrating part because I already know where it needs to be, I put it there, but it doesn't stay. I have tried giving it a death grip to maintain, but then I would expect the extra tension isn't good either.  

Yeah, no to the death grip. Firm but not that firm.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I feel like this is what's happening with me as well. I feel like I've identified when I'm actually not "wrapping" the heel around vs just pressing it down and to the side but I know it's sliding back more towards the palm. Continuing to work at it.

4 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Working on this as well and beginning to think I'm brain dead or something. Lol

:titleist:

• Administrator

Can you both "uncock" your wrists just fine? Or does putting the club down necessitate that you let the grip slide up into your palm(s)?

I've not met someone who can't slightly downcock to keep the club in their fingers properly, but… there's going to be a few out there who can't, I'm sure.

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Can you both "uncock" your wrists just fine? Or does putting the club down necessitate that you let the grip slide up into your palm(s)?

I've not met someone who can't slightly downcock to keep the club in their fingers properly, but… there's going to be a few out there who can't, I'm sure.

No wrist problems that I'm aware of and I'm able to do everything in the pictures/videos just fine. I've tried gripping it with holding the club up and I've gripped it down at my side used in Mikes example and I end up in the same boat with it slipping towards the palm at some point. I'll be posting another video of it all soon.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

sadly, I have no excuse. no issues here...other than a completely unexplained reason why I don't seem to be able to maintain the club in my fingers.  I'll do another video for myself (like the before this last one) to see how things looks and maybe post it if I see any clues for my ineptitude 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

@iacas, not much here, but I clearly feel the butt of my club wanting to slide into my palm when I set my club down at  address. With my glove on (not pictured), it’s improved. Is the club wanting to slide into my palm because I don’t wrap the heel of my hand over enough? I feel like if I wrap it over towards the right much more than I do, it will be to the point of turning the face of the club open…which I assume is not as it should be. 

It’ll be a sad day if I have to drive all the way to Erie for you to physically put my hands in the grip correctly 😏

-Jonny

• Administrator

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

It’ll be a sad day if I have to drive all the way to Erie for you to physically put my hands in the grip correctly 😏

There’s an airport.

Long thumb, Jonny.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

That was very helpful. I think I’ve had a eureka moment! I’ll work on this and post tomorrow. Hopefully there will be no need for Grip Video #347 😁

-Jonny

11 hours ago, billchao said:

Long thumb, Jonny.

That could become a nickname!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6/11/21 - starting to get callouses 

Any better?

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

• Administrator

Yeah. But put it down on the ground. 🙂

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah. But put it down on the ground. 🙂

Ok….but how does that look before I put it down? I want to make sure I’m good there before jumping all the way to “putting it down on the ground”…

While that’s an obvious attempt at humor, I am being somewhat serious. I expect problems will occur when I put the club down as that’s when it slips, so I’d like to make sure this part is good first.

-Jonny

3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

6/11/21 - starting to get callouses 

Any better?

As someone who is still getting comfortable with this and recognizing my own tendencies this is what I see.

Around 8-9 seconds you do the "press" action with the pad and let the thumb lie flat but then you move your thumb back around 11-12 seconds in. Video for reference with the "press" vs the "wrap".

Again, I'm still getting comfortable with this myself and if I'm giving bad advice someone please tell me to stfu.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

7/23/21 - more grip work

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny