Jump to content
IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)


woodzie264
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

apparently not long enough. 

Did you watch my "ultimate grip video"?

Your left thumb will look a little like / and your right thumb will look a little like \ to you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
On 11/30/2021 at 12:07 PM, iacas said:

Did you watch my "ultimate grip video"?

Your left thumb will look a little like / and your right thumb will look a little like \ to you.

I did - thanks. 
 

played 9 holes today with 4 one-putts. SGP last four round since late August: 2.7, 3.9, 2.6, 2.7. Happy with how that front is looking as of late. 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue  /  Woods: :tmade: M2 3&5W’s / Hybrid: :tarmour: 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*

Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5W  Ball: :titleist: AVX optic yellow 

 -Jonny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

Went to range today; irons A-, Driver D

Worst day with a driver…EVER.  I usually hit 70-75% of my fairways and consider it be my most reliable club. 
I had it “fixed” by the end, but dang I sucked today. I’ll need to post a swing with it, but my driver swing is much flatter than my “usual” swing. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue  /  Woods: :tmade: M2 3&5W’s / Hybrid: :tarmour: 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*

Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5W  Ball: :titleist: AVX optic yellow 

 -Jonny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

Went to range today; irons A-, Driver D

Worst day with a driver…EVER.  I usually hit 70-75% of my fairways and consider it be my most reliable club. 
I had it “fixed” by the end, but dang I sucked today. I’ll need to post a swing with it, but my driver swing is much flatter than my “usual” swing. 

What was the fix? 

Vishal S.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
42 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

What was the fix? 

Better weight shift forward - I was finishing with too much weight on right foot.  Having said that, I realized I have a multitude of issues that I was not able to correct despite my intellectual understanding of the flaws. Knowing my issues and fixing them are two different things.  Luckily, I finished with 5-6 good ones and figured I should quit on a good note.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue  /  Woods: :tmade: M2 3&5W’s / Hybrid: :tarmour: 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*

Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5W  Ball: :titleist: AVX optic yellow 

 -Jonny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 1 month later...
  • Moderator

 

Okay….I’ve been putting this off for awhile, but my problem has gotten progressively worse. I am very happy with the way I’m hitting my iron, wedges, and even 5W…but over the past 6 months, despite my driver being my most reliable club (11-12 of 14 FW per round), I have start hitting a pull slice or even worse, a push slice. I think I vary between the two as I try to self-correct the problem.  Well, it’s no longer bearable. I have never posted a driver video in all these years, but I’m posting two “different swings” here today for review and critique. 
 

This first swing is my normal driver swing, which is far flatter than my iron swing. It has always been this way and, up until 6 months ago, had done me pretty well.  (I apologize this is not recorded in slow-mo)

 

I believe on of my many problems is that I have way to much weight on back foot despite my efforts to correct that.

Now, here is my “iron swing” made with the driver:


To be honest I don’t see I big difference (especially in FOV), but they feel VERY different. I’d like to know they best way to get better.
 

@iacas, @boogielicious, @billchao, Do I modify my normal driver swing (#1)…if so, how? What’s the first PP?

or, Do I start with a swing which feels more like my iron swing (#2)? If so, what’s My first PP? The second one I definitely come over the top 😞

Help! I have until End of May before my Scotland trip!

 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue  /  Woods: :tmade: M2 3&5W’s / Hybrid: :tarmour: 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*

Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5W  Ball: :titleist: AVX optic yellow 

 -Jonny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
8 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I'm gonna leave the PP to @iacas, but this looks pretty OTT to me. Shouldn't hands be closer to the pocket at A5

image.png

🧐 Nothing about the swing looks good 😖. I’m just hoping someone has the magic words for me so I can regain my control again over the next few months… and not something so elaborate as fixing my grip because I’ll never master that

Driver: :callaway: Rogue  /  Woods: :tmade: M2 3&5W’s / Hybrid: :tarmour: 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*

Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5W  Ball: :titleist: AVX optic yellow 

 -Jonny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

 

Okay….I’ve been putting this off for awhile, but my problem has gotten progressively worse. I am very happy with the way I’m hitting my iron, wedges, and even 5W…but over the past 6 months, despite my driver being my most reliable club (11-12 of 14 FW per round), I have start hitting a pull slice or even worse, a push slice. I think I vary between the two as I try to self-correct the problem.  Well, it’s no longer bearable. I have never posted a driver video in all these years, but I’m posting two “different swings” here today for review and critique. 
 

This first swing is my normal driver swing, which is far flatter than my iron swing. It has always been this way and, up until 6 months ago, had done me pretty well.  (I apologize this is not recorded in slow-mo)

 

I believe on of my many problems is that I have way to much weight on back foot despite my efforts to correct that.

Now, here is my “iron swing” made with the driver:


To be honest I don’t see I big difference (especially in FOV), but they feel VERY different. I’d like to know they best way to get better.
 

@iacas, @boogielicious, @billchao, Do I modify my normal driver swing (#1)…if so, how? What’s the first PP?

or, Do I start with a swing which feels more like my iron swing (#2)? If so, what’s My first PP? The second one I definitely come over the top 😞

Help! I have until End of May before my Scotland trip!

 

It looks like you are not shifting enough forward in the face on views. Your left hip is aligned with a pole and stays there the whole swing in the bottom FO. Slow down the swing and make sure you are getting your weight moving forward from the top. The top FO, you shift back but only make it back to where your left hip was at setup. The bottom FO, you just stay in that same spot,

  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
24 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It looks like you are not shifting enough forward in the face on views. Your left hip is aligned with a pole and stays there the whole swing in the bottom FO. Slow down the swing and make sure you are getting your weight moving forward from the top. The top FO, you shift back but only make it back to where your left hip was at setup. The bottom FO, you just stay in that same spot,

I definitely feel like my weight shift is a big issue, but I didn’t “see” it until you pointed that out.  I will do, then video, some “dry swings” for a week or so before doing a video with real swing. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue  /  Woods: :tmade: M2 3&5W’s / Hybrid: :tarmour: 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*

Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5W  Ball: :titleist: AVX optic yellow 

 -Jonny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

Straighten the right elbow earlier in your downswing.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

Jonny,

In no particular order:

01.jpg

I'm not sure the grip is great yet. I mean, maybe your hands are smaller, etc. I know you've worked on this. I wish I had done more to show you two Octobers ago at RNK… but I don't imagine that's in the fingers as much as I'd like. I regret typing this as much as I think you'll regret having to read it again. 😛

02.jpg

This is your flatter backswing - the clubhead is well outside the ball at just before impact. And your more iron like driver swing in the FO view. Both are bad. But… the iron-like driver swing is demonstrably worse:

03.jpg

I don't think your iron swing is where you want it to be, either.

I think you can play with some hand-eye coordination, etc. But I think you've got some work to do.

If you can get some good high-speed video, we could begin working on some things. Again, to re-state, I don't think your iron swing is likely where you truly want it, either. It's highly unlikely your driver swing is that different than your iron swing, and your "iron-like driver swing" is worse than your "flatter" swing.

So…

  • High speed videos.
  • Good camera angles.
  • FO and DL.
  • Driver and 7-iron.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

To be honest I don’t see I big difference (especially in FOV), but they feel VERY different. I’d like to know they best way to get better.

I see Erik beat me to it so not sure I should throw this in. But I've almost finished, so....

To my eye these look incredibly different! Less flat swing is way more over the top. Though you're still coming from the outside with the flatter swing.

What jumps out to me is how extremely you're standing up, losing your spine angle, and not using your lower body well.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.50.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.49.49 PM.png

A big part of why you have to yank backwards/up and fall into your back foot is as a reaction to this. If you have this body motion and don't yank you'd just miss the ball entirely. Gotta get your hips way more rotated, forward, and left.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.56.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.55.19 PM.png

  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

First thing I noticed, like @iacassaid, grip. Not in fingers yet. Set up wise also, I’d skinny that stance to just barely past shoulder width as it would let you use the lower body better. Maybe it’s the camera angle, but I’d also try to get your spine angled a little more away from target. In swing wise, soft straight trail arm. 

Your head moves laterally immediately in the backswing. 

  • Thumbs Up 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, iacas said:

Jonny,

In no particular order:

01.jpg

I'm not sure the grip is great yet. I mean, maybe your hands are smaller, etc. I know you've worked on this. I wish I had done more to show you two Octobers ago at RNK… but I don't imagine that's in the fingers as much as I'd like. I regret typing this as much as I think you'll regret having to read it again. 😛

02.jpg

This is your flatter backswing - the clubhead is well outside the ball at just before impact. And your more iron like driver swing in the FO view. Both are bad. But… the iron-like driver swing is demonstrably worse:

03.jpg

I don't think your iron swing is where you want it to be, either.

I think you can play with some hand-eye coordination, etc. But I think you've got some work to do.

If you can get some good high-speed video, we could begin working on some things. Again, to re-state, I don't think your iron swing is likely where you truly want it, either. It's highly unlikely your driver swing is that different than your iron swing, and your "iron-like driver swing" is worse than your "flatter" swing.

So…

  • High speed videos.
  • Good camera angles.
  • FO and DL.
  • Driver and 7-iron.

Ok - I will toss out trying to make the driver swing feel more like the irons since that one is the worse of the two and clearly…a lot..to work on.  I knew this was gonna be ugly.
 

I will repost next week. I also appreciate @boogielicious, @GolfLug, @billchao, @phillyk, and @mdl for the feedback.  

  • Thumbs Up 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue  /  Woods: :tmade: M2 3&5W’s / Hybrid: :tarmour: 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*

Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5W  Ball: :titleist: AVX optic yellow 

 -Jonny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

@woodzie264, this isn't something you're going to be able to do on your own.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
17 minutes ago, iacas said:

@woodzie264, this isn't something you're going to be able to do on your own.

Totally agreed. One step at a time…or even baby steps. I have no delusions of grandeur, I am not of the mindset I will make huge gains; it took me almost a year before I was able to straighten my right elbow with the irons and it’s been nearly that long that I’ve worked on my grip…with less success. I’m a slow learner, obviously.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue  /  Woods: :tmade: M2 3&5W’s / Hybrid: :tarmour: 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*

Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5W  Ball: :titleist: AVX optic yellow 

 -Jonny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
9 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Totally agreed. One step at a time…or even baby steps. I have no delusions of grandeur, I am not of the mindset I will make huge gains; it took me almost a year before I was able to straighten my right elbow with the irons and it’s been nearly that long that I’ve worked on my grip…with less success. I’m a slow learner, obviously.

If you could swing it, a trip to Golf Evolution in Erie would really help. I do Evolvr, which is very good, but in person with Erik is excellent.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct links for Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package. Save 10% on Mevo with coupon code "IACAS" as well.
  • Posts

    • Day 26: 8/12/2022 I got some really good practice in today. Went to the range. Hit about 50 balls with my 6-iron. (Block Practice) How I did it was 5 balls at a time. Focusing entirely on one of three things.  Five balls focusing on a movement I'm trying to get right with my hips. Slow mo first. A little faster second. Then do it full speed with no ball. Then full speed with a ball.  The next five balls. Focused on a move I'm trying to get right in my backswing. Again, slow mo, a little faster, full speed no ball, and then full speed with a ball.  The next five balls. Focused on my hand path. Same as above. Slow mo, a little faster, full speed, then hit a ball.  Rinse and repeat.  Then I hit ten balls with the driver. I'm trying to improve my driver consistency. So, what I did was focus on a pre-shot routine and my set up. Tried to hit all 10 into an imaginary fairway.  Then I went over to the putting green and after warming up I did @iacas's "Makeable Putts Game". I scored 13 points... Not sure if that's good or bad. But I know I can do better.  Lastly, since I also want to improve my wedge play, I went over to the short game area and hit 36 different pitch shots from about 20 to about 70 yards. (Random Practice?)  I really wish I had time every day to do the practice I did today. I feel like everything I worked on are important things that can help me improve. 
    • It is a disbarrable offense for a lawyer to lie in a court pleading, so I'm going with what the lawyer said in the suit, not what the LIV PR flack says. Just playing common sense here, but LIV not being able to provide competition for their players is one of the silliest claims yet.  If they want competition, play the tour.  If they're just interested in money play LIV. The PGA pays what it pays based on how much they actually generate, which has absolutely nothing to do with what other sports pay, that generate what they generate.  LIV pays based on how much money the Saudis want to sportswash and has nothing to do with how much LIV generates.  But how strange that a non-competitive league would set itself up against the ultra-competitive PGATour. I had asked about your profession, in a prior message, because I was looking to see if my surmise that it had nothing to do with law or economics was correct.
    • Hang in there, brother. I've been there. We all have. Driver is great at the range, but sucky on the course.  A couple of things. It will come. Keep up your range work and it will transfer. Just know that it will ... eventually. Be patient. Stick to the plan.  Maybe try to hit the driver a little extra in warming up before the round? When doing so, try to find a swing thought that works "that day".  You can always try visualizing the range when on the tee-box. Imagine you are on the range. Really "see" the range. That can also get you thru.  If none of that works, one thing that sometimes works for me is to image the golf ball sitting on the tee is a nail, and nail is just started to be hammered into a baseboard. I'm trying to hammer that nail into a baseboard. But the only hammer I was given is 46" long. Forget all the mechanics and just try hitting the nail on the head.  Lastly, sometimes it only takes one round of hitting it well and suddenly everything kind of "clicks" into place. Sometimes it only takes one shot.   
    • I thought Minnie driver was great in GoldenEye!  Oh wait, that's not what you meant.   
    • Okay so, I have a few rounds in now and I'm starting to like this thing.  The last time I played I didn't have to do any editing after the round. It was only 9 holes, but I actually tagged everything exactly right and even got the pin placements right. 😄 I only had to go back and change 2 shots to positional shots.  I have 7 rounds in there now, so the data is starting to get interesting. The first thing I've learned (okay, confirmed, because I already knew it) my wedge play is not very good. I was surprised to find that I'm getting up and down only about 20% of the time with my 54 or 60 degree wedge in my hands. Interestingly, when I putt from off the green, I'm getting up and down 73% of the time. (That's with 15 attempts, so that's interesting to me.)  The second thing I learned is I am super-inconsistent off the tee with the driver. Take a look:  There is almost 100 yards difference between my longest drive and my average drive. Which tells me that for every really good drive I hit, there's at least on real stinker.... probably more than one. Some of those have hit trees, but some of them (too many) have been straight up shanks, hosel rockets, tops, flubs, thins, toes, heels, and/or skanks. If I can eliminate the totally sh!tty ones, I think my average would come up closer to my performance average. I'm not good enough at math to calculate my standard deviation, but I bet it's huge.  I did find that I'm just about as likely to miss left of the fairway as I am to miss right of the fairway.  I plan to start to work my practice around the areas that need improvement.  Of course, I'm going to continue to work on my swing in general, as it can still get better. But consistency off the tee and wedge play will have to get a little more attention going forward. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. JoeInPI
      JoeInPI
      (49 years old)
    2. meenman
      meenman
      (53 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...