IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

58 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

If you could swing it, a trip to Golf Evolution in Erie would really help. I do Evolvr, which is very good, but in person with Erik is excellent.

I picked up on that with his response…and I’ve considered it several times. I, for the moment, don’t see me having the time to take a weekend to get up there. I know we are all busy, but my weekends are definitely filled with family events/plans with so rarely a weekend free. I guess it’ll never happen if I don’t make it happen….suppose I should look at a calendar. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I picked up on that with his response…and I’ve considered it several times. I, for the moment, don’t see me having the time to take a weekend to get up there. I know we are all busy, but my weekends are definitely filled with family events/plans with so rarely a weekend free. I guess it’ll never happen if I don’t make it happen….suppose I should look at a calendar. 

Make it a family getaway. There’s plenty of things to do in the area, and then you’d only be gone a couple of hours or something.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

@boogielicious, I went to the range today for the first time in weeks(since last post) after working on things folks recommended. I know that my swing prob doesn’t look very different, but my main focus has been on steady head (less movement in backswing) with exaggerated attempt to transfer weight forward (both things which you mentioned) and saw significant improvements…much better about hitting “fairway.”  I’ll still factor in other’s suggestions but hard to make so many changes at once.  I figured those two 5SK suggestions would be the easiest to work on since they aren’t new to me

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

@boogielicious, I went to the range today for the first time in weeks(since last post) after working on things folks recommended. I know that my swing prob doesn’t look very different, but my main focus has been on steady head (less movement in backswing) with exaggerated attempt to transfer weight forward (both things which you mentioned) and saw significant improvements…much better about hitting “fairway.”  I’ll still factor in other’s suggestions but hard to make so many changes at once.  I figured those two 5SK suggestions would be the easiest to work on since they aren’t new to me

Just try and focus on one piece at a time. Changes take time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 4 months later...

6/16 - Driver FOV

DTL

no significant progress with weight shift issues. I think I need to do more swings slowing it down as @boogielicious recommended. 

When I recently played over in Scotland, I hit every fairway at Carnoustie, then hit 8 the next day at the Old Course. The pattern repeated the next two rounds.  My miss (with every swing) is a pull fade that gets too excited. The fade is taking distance away which is frustrating because I’m already a shorter hitter. 

• Thumbs Up 2

-Jonny

If you're working on getting your weight forward my take, for what it's worth, is that's going to require disconnecting your upper and lower bodies. As in, your hips and shoulders are almost perfectly locked together. They start rotating together, mirror each other, stop at the same time, and begin rotating exactly together and similar rates. That's going to make it almost impossible to get your hips forward without just standing on top of your front leg. And it also makes it completely impossible not to come over the top and hit a (weak, at least compared to what you could hit) cut.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

14 minutes ago, mdl said:

If you're working on getting your weight forward my take, for what it's worth, is that's going to require disconnecting your upper and lower bodies. As in, your hips and shoulders are almost perfectly locked together. They start rotating together, mirror each other, stop at the same time, and begin rotating exactly together and similar rates. That's going to make it almost impossible to get your hips forward without just standing on top of your front leg. And it also makes it completely impossible not to come over the top and hit a (weak, at least compared to what you could hit) cut.

That makes sense. I prob tried to minimize all moving parts when I starting hitting driver a few years ago since I couldn’t control it (I hit hybrid off the tee for first decade of my golf). That also may be the reason everyone that I play with always hits it longer than I do.

-Jonny

• Administrator

I'd worry more about that right elbow.

image.jpeg

It's getting around behind your shirt seam.

This is a too-long, early run at a video I still intend to make at some point.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'd worry more about that right elbow.

image.jpeg

It's getting around behind your shirt seam.

This is a too-long, early run at a video I still intend to make at some point.

I see that now that you point it out. Funny how I would never see something like that. That’s good feedback

think I had seen that video from you somewhere else in the past, but that was helpful. 

-Jonny

Damn it, was gonna mention the right elbow but was like... nah 😆

Yea, arms, hands and right elbow get trapped too far behind you on the backswing then the right elbow gets super punchy coming down. Easy fix tho, just don't let the elbow move behind you in the backswing then lead the downswing with it by keeping it "under" the left elbow.

Jason Dufner's probably a good pro to really see how much you can exaggerate this shit and still play major winning golf. 

Here's a good video to help you understand more about these particular pieces I'm talking about. I think if you can understand conceptually what good players are doing here you'll be able to add some fun changes to your swing right away.

Justin Thomas is a good model for this too obviously. He really embodies well what we're talking about here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

• Administrator
7 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

Easy fix tho

🤣

Hard disagree on Jason Dufner, too. If you try to squeeze it in like he does during the backswing… it tends to come out FAST during the transition/downswing.

Almost no Tour players are around "behind" them, but almost no Tour players are anything like Dufner. Kinda freakish how close he keeps the elbows.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

🤣

Hard disagree on Jason Dufner, too. If you try to squeeze it in like he does during the backswing… it tends to come out FAST during the transition/downswing.

Almost no Tour players are around "behind" them, but almost no Tour players are anything like Dufner. Kinda freakish how close he keeps the elbows.

Lol, I knew you'd like the "easy fix tho" line. 😂

Ah alright. Still, Dufner does it so insanely against what most amateurs do it just looks so obvious. Was just using him as an extreme example lol.

edit: Woodzie, don't actually do Dufner!

Edited by JetFan1983

Constantine

• 5 months later...

This is the first post for me in quite some time. I have not been very active on the site at all. My wife has had a recent cancer scare (all is fine), my father just had a triple bypass, and my brother just had brain surgery. All are doing fine which is great, but I haven’t really touched a club in months. I hope to get back into practicing regularly, and I’m simply writing this down in hopes that it will force me to stick with it. 
I hit on the range today and will give myself a C-  across-the-board. I didn’t hit any clubs particularly well, but certainly could’ve done worse. As humbling as it was, I had to even remind myself about how to do a centered turn, as I caught myself swaying much more than I should’ve. After all that work over the past few years, I’m surprised how easy it is to lose some of the basics. 

• Thumbs Up 5

-Jonny

• Administrator
On 12/14/2022 at 5:26 AM, woodzie264 said:

Day 5- centered turn with forward weight shift.  Form isn’t perfect but hard to have great swing form with kettlebell.  Just working on a more centered turn and forward weight shift (not spinning around my body as I’ve noticed lately)

I don't love those, if only because there's very little "flow" back and then forward.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't love those, if only because there's very little "flow" back and then forward.

Thank you - It was my attempt to correct the fact I feel like my weight shift forward was becoming more like a spin around my body.  I’ll look back at 30 day COVID challenge drills…I’m sure there’s something in there to address it. I don’t want to create another problem 

-Jonny

Grip work today while having a light day in the office. 

• Thumbs Up 2

-Jonny

• Administrator
2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Grip work today while having a light day in the office. 

1. Be careful with the index finger-heel pad thing. It can slip up into the palm a little. Especially when you're not holding it horizontally.
  2. You seem to have an issue putting the club down on the ground and it moving up into the palm then. You didn't do that in this grip (put the club down on the ground).

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

You seem to have an issue putting the club down on the ground and it moving up into the palm then. You didn't do that in this grip (put the club down on the ground).

I still do. I have no idea why it slips…maybe I have an under developed baby-esque hypothenar eminence. 🙄

I don’t understand it and I haven’t yet figured out how to stop it. It’s maddening. I worked in that very thing for the past two days. 

-Jonny