IGNORED

Hacker James Backyard Practice Net (and Accoutrements)

Note: This thread is 1947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Yes, I could do that since all but two of the joints are not glued. The pvc works okay, but after time, it bows. EMT is more substantial, but should be coated with rustoleum at least on the fittings, although it is galvanized steel. No perfect answer, unless I wanted to sink some heavy poles in the ground with concrete, and string steel cables, but that would be a lot more money. 

Monster Story?  naw, just a damned nuisance/muse.  Time I got.  cage is 10 x 10 x 10

Oops! That was a typo on my part. I meant Monster STORM. What the press is calling it. As I sit here and type this in San Diego it seems like it's been a medium steady rain for hours. Not so common in SoCal.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

3 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Oops! That was a typo on my part. I meant Monster STORM. What the press is calling it. As I sit here and type this in San Diego it seems like it's been a medium steady rain for hours. Not so common in SoCal.

I knew what you meant. Reminds me of the TV series "Perfect Storm".  As you know, it rained for darned near 3 weeks not long ago. Miramar Golf Course was under water for a spell. Now this one. Where is AL Gore? We better inform him of this drastic climate change.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did a little price shopping online. Gourok offers the corner frame kit including the snap-together poles for $99. If I were to buy only the corner fittings and then EMT pipe from Lowes, the cost would be around $170.  Concerned about rust as I have used these before. I sent email to Gourok to see if product has improved. Cheapest route would be to just replace the broken PVC members and accept the fact, that the top sections will bow a bit.

In any case, will have to secure the cage to the ground this time!

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

9 hours ago, Hacker James said:

I knew what you meant. Reminds me of the TV series "Perfect Storm".  As you know, it rained for darned near 3 weeks not long ago. Miramar Golf Course was under water for a spell. Now this one. Where is AL Gore? We better inform him of this drastic climate change.

Don't give Al any ideas. I'm sure this all fits into his theory.

Meanwhile, picking Saturday for my golf lessons hasn't worked out. Tecolote can't pick up balls from a wet range. More often than range is close. I loved the drought, bring back the drought and hot sunny days.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

5 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I'm looking at the net in your forum picture, it looks like the holes are pretty small in that netting.  Maybe it acts a bit like a sail in a heavy wind.  How about netting that has larger holes.

that is the rear impact panel, tighter weave, heavier. It is archery net. I could rig it to take down easily. You are correct, the panel and more importantly, the hanging vinyl target is exactly like a sail. The photo showing me hitting is of an older, one dimensional one made out of shade cloth. The cage is partially visible in the background of my profile.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

Back in business, temporarily. 1/2 cage, single rear wall and target. Okay, as long as I do not go over or miss to side. 10 x 10 ft square.

"James"

I am in the process of rebuilding a golf net that was storm damaged. The 10 x 10 x 10 cage is now a 10 x 10 flat panel with a polyhedron base. I wish to add a two foot , 45 deg angled overhang on the front edge by stringing a rope between the uprights. It will be taut, but wondering whether to use the shock (bungie) cord or a 550 paracord, or maybe even a simple polypro rope, more than likely 1/8 to 1/4 inch diameter. Main consideration is weather resistance, rot, e.t.c.  The shock cords will stretch 100% but am also thinking that would not be a bad idea to account for excess weight when wet.

"James"

@chilepepper thanks, good to know. The paracord at Home Depot is not really the 550 stuff, but seems substantial enough. Cut open and you find several strands of flimsy, nylon, fuzzy, stuff. Maybe an outdoor sports store would carry good stuff.

"James"

I put up side curtains (like seen on The Net Return). Photo coming soon. not that anybody really gives a hoot.  Then I am considering adding an angled top providing it not becoming too "top heavy". I am guessing 18 inches would be okay though.

One might argue that out of doors, the side curtains are not necessary. However, even with the best of players, mishaps happen and it only takes one to break a window.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

-Well. FWIW, here is the re-incarnation. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it is functional. I am not particularly fond of the new training wheels though, but erring on the side of caution I guess. Anybody interested, materials needed are (5) 10 ft lengths of conduit, (6) 45 deg elbows (2) tees (2) 90 degree (2) end caps, suitable net and target. (net is archery netting).

IMG_0731.thumb.JPG.67583af5edd2a2bdad9fb586b79dea65.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"James"

not to beat this thing to death, but every time I make one of these, somebody will ask for instructions, often times weeks or months from now.  I have drafted a plan and can forward to anybody upon request. 

• Upvote 1

"James"

added a little support bracing:

002.thumb.JPG.7f866b1d309e5b49689c2b98701234eb.JPG

• Like 1

"James"

I've really got too much time on my hands....... Kinda like Lucky Strike Cigarettes...Over-under-around-and (Heaven forbid)  .. Through.

58c04dea339f4_shot_shaping_001.thumb.JPG.3a10d852fc22f5467d5af18f340b52f5.JPG

• Like 1

"James"

That's a really nice setup!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

(edited)
27 minutes ago, Lihu said:

That's a really nice setup!

which? the t/a or net?

all it is , I took a 3-way PVC corner fitting, stuck two left over end bells cut from conduit, stuck a short pipe in it, and then a bit of foam insulation covering inside the pipe. Took all of 45 seconds. One could even use a pool noodle stuck into the fitting. Or if you are happening a bad day...call it a "station of the Cross". oh, and a short rod taken from an old "tent net" stuck through the pipe insulation.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

9 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

which? the t/a or net?

all it is , I took a 3-way PVC corner fitting, stuck two left over end bells cut from conduit, stuck a short pipe in it, and then a bit of foam insulation covering inside the pipe. Took all of 45 seconds. One could even use a pool noodle stuck into the fitting. Or if you are happening a bad day...call it a "station of the Cross". oh, and a short rod taken from an old "tent net" stuck through the pipe insulation.

The entire backyard being used for golf practice! My wife thinks my net (which takes only about 5% of my inner yard or less) looks like a "Hobo Shelter" and I'm probably going to have to take it down.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 1947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!