IGNORED

Hacker James Backyard Practice Net (and Accoutrements)

Note: This thread is 1947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, Lihu said:

The entire backyard being used for golf practice! My wife thinks my net looks like a "Hobo Shelter" and I'm probably going to have to take it down.

haha...I can definitely relate to that!  What started out as a moderately priced golf cage, ended up being a $2200 artificial turf project to "placate" the Queen.

• Like 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Hacker James said:

haha...I can definitely relate to that!  What started out as a moderately priced golf cage, ended up being a $2200 artificial turf project to "placate" the Queen.

Ha, now that's funny. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

If mommas not happy.......nobody's happy

On 3/8/2017 at 4:21 PM, chilepepper said:

If mommas not happy.......nobody's happy

Wisdom indeed, never a truer statement 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator

Nothing different than putting an alignment stick in the ground in front of you. Recommended all the time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Nothing different than putting an alignment stick in the ground in front of you. Recommended all the time.

True, if one does not mind poking holes in the artificial turf, inviting weeds to poke their ugly head through.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 2 weeks later...

just messing around. Hit through the window drill.

001.thumb.JPG.4ec993fd2f3554c71b83927e817c2c2d.JPG

"James"

2 hours ago, Hacker James said:

just messing around. Hit through the window drill.

It's like Tinker Toys for grownups!

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

9 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

It's like Tinker Toys for grownups!

mebbe that's where the term "tinkering" comes from. PVC and fittings are like Duct Tape. Now they even have a "furniture grade". 

"James"

add a camera, tripod, music and potential for broken camera lens/tripod. "look at what's coming at ya".

"James"

I've only added this so as to have a copy of the photo in "my attachments".  Minor changes:

1. Roof is higher and longer overhang (18 inches to 30 inches)

2. Added short vertical struts to front of the supports  to give it better stability.

Golf net 4.JPG

"James"

2 hours ago, Hacker James said:

I've only added this so as to have a copy of the photo in "my attachments".  Minor changes:

1. Roof is higher and longer overhang (18 inches to 30 inches)

2. Added short vertical struts to front of the supports  to give it better stability.

Golf net 4.JPG

Can you add a simulator with video playback?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Just now, gregsandiego said:

Can you add a simulator with video playback?

Beyond my expertise (for now), but I don't see why not. Martin Chuck demonstrates something like this with a camera/notebook set up that allows him to see his own swing, draw in alignment lines on the screen, and then play back on desk top. It also records swing data. I forgot the name, it was mentioned in another thread recently. Price very reasonable. I will look for the thread if you like.

"James"

4 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Beyond my expertise (for now), but I don't see why not. Martin Chuck demonstrates something like this with a camera/notebook set up that allows him to see his own swing, draw in alignment lines on the screen, and then play back on desk top. It also records swing data. I forgot the name, it was mentioned in another thread recently. Price very reasonable. I will look for the thread if you like.

I was just thinking that because I practice at PGA golf store. $99 per year. You hit into a net but the simulators make you forget it's a net. PLUS they video your swing and you can play it back. It's honestly almost better than an instructor in some ways.

Just now, gregsandiego said:

I was just thinking that because I practice at PGA golf store. $99 per year. You hit into a net but the simulators make you forget it's a net. PLUS they video your swing and you can play it back. It's honestly almost better than an instructor in some ways.

right!  That is why I thought the set up used by Martin would be what I need. Basically it is only a camera attached to his golf bag, that takes a down the line video of his swing and sends it in real time to an Ipad or notebook facing his tee box where he can watch himself swing.  It has software where he can draw in boxes around the head, lines for spine angle, path, e.t.c. then play it back at his leisure. It was only a few days ago, but cannot locate it as of yet. If I had an "optishot" simulator, my only question would be, does it work well outside?.

"James"

"James"

37 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

This looks pretty good.

The PGA store setup is fully automated but this looks like it would work. If you only need that camera thing it looks like it's $179.

I bet there's another thread somewhere on the sandtrap about this...

Edited by gregsandiego

(edited)
4 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

This looks pretty good.

The PGA store setup is fully automated but this looks like it would work. If you only need that camera thing it looks like it's $179.

I bet there's another thread somewhere on the sandtrap about this...

Probably a few. That link was from a  TST Thread. I recall it was also pointed out, you only need your Iphone and Ipad and do a "face call" whatever that is.....you would not have the built in software though to draw the lines and such. Battery life/charge time might be a concern though.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

Note: This thread is 1947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!