IGNORED

Beginner in Northwest Georgia

CMartis
Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey, I live in White, Ga. About 45 miles north of Atlanta right off of Interstate 75. I just started playing at the end of last season (2016). A couple of guys from work talked me into going and I wish I would have started a long time ago. Luckily for me there are at least 6 nice courses within 25 miles of my residence. I plan on playing at least once every two weeks at a minimum this season. I've only played about 6 rounds so far with my best score at 104. Huge improvement seeing my first round was about 150! LOL Surely I can break 100 this season. Hopefully this Friday! I haven't played much so that is why I haven't thought about figuring my handicap yet. I'm looking for some people to play with so if you're in the area let me know. Thanks!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome.   Glad you found our piece of golf heaven.   Post often, read, ask questions and enjoy.   If you are so inclined, join the swing thread and post a video.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

@CMartis Welcome to the site.

There are some great courses in your area, wish I could play in the area more often than a few times every other year.

Good luck with your journey learning to play the great game of golf, and always remember, we play it for the fun of it.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

The quickest way to lower your score and increase your enjoyment is by improving your short game (particularly from 50 yards & in plus putting). Work on lag putting from 20, 30, 40, 50 feet - getting down in 2 shots from all distances, minimizing 3 putts, is fundamental in lowering your score. Also work on hitting different wedges from all lies, all distances from 50 yds & in with the ultimate goal of getting down in 3 or less from anywhere. Hit high shots that stop quick if the pin is close & you have little green to work with; hit low shots that take a couple small bounces then roll like a putt if the pin is in the back with a lot of green to work with.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

1 hour ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

The quickest way to lower your score and increase your enjoyment is by improving your short game (particularly from 50 yards & in plus putting). Work on lag putting from 20, 30, 40, 50 feet - getting down in 2 shots from all distances, minimizing 3 putts, is fundamental in lowering your score. Also work on hitting different wedges from all lies, all distances from 50 yds & in with the ultimate goal of getting down in 3 or less from anywhere. Hit high shots that stop quick if the pin is close & you have little green to work with; hit low shots that take a couple small bounces then roll like a putt if the pin is in the back with a lot of green to work with.

Thanks everyone! I agree 120% on the short game improvement. I could have had my first birdie on my last round easily if I was better on short game. Drove the ball within about 30 foot from the pin on a par 4. Second shot, bladed the ball past the hole, roll across the green, and down a thirty foot bank! LOL I'm going to focus hard on short game and putting for sure this season. Thanks again. I'll try and get a swing video before too long to post. Maybe when I go Friday. 

Welcome!!

Keep an open mind about the relative importance of long game vs short game. Stick around, join in conversations about the topic, see what experts on the field say, and consider carefully the evidence they bring to the table. 

In short, I think you may be surprised at the new direction your thinking may take. 

Anyway, welcome! Good idea on a swing thread. Has been invaluable to my growth as a golfer.

Take a look sometime at the "How To" drop down in the menu above. Grab yourself an avatar, claim some achievements, etc. There is good info there about how stuff works on the site.  See you around!!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator
23 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

To add to what @RandallT was saying, short game work can only get you so far. If you are a 20, you can only save seven shots if you become as good from 100 yards and in as a PGA Tour player.

And again that is if you become as good as a PGA Tour player on all shots from 100 yards and in.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!