IGNORED

Rusty wedges

Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Even though I don't play rusty wedges I do like the way they look. Would be cool to get a set of raw irons and wedges, like Rory has.

Rory_McIlroy_Callaway_irons_Closeup.jpgimage.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I like how they look, but I don't really ever play them because:

• Rusted wedges "wear" back to a smooth finish with even really light use. The only place you can really hope to keep a wedge rusty is on the high back of the wedge.
  • Rusted wedges don't perform as well as a non-rusted wedge. The grooves wear faster and the rust itself reduces spin. If you're a PGA Tour pro and can get new wedges every month, cool.

So… yeah. :-)

They do look cool. But I like the look of my Edel wedges too, with my custom stamping and such.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've played raw wedges in the past and like them ok.  I don't like black oxide wedges personally.  I currently play satin chrome wedges.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

What I really used to like about them, is that late in the day, I don't get the same high reflection off the setting sun at address that I do with my chrome wedges...

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

23 minutes ago, David in FL said:

What I really used to like about them, is that late in the day, I don't get the same high reflection off the setting sun at address that I do with my chrome wedges...

Huh. I've never had chrome wedges, but I always thought this ("less glare") was marketing bullshit when I saw it advertised. Interesting.

- John

11 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Huh. I've never had chrome wedges, but I always thought this ("less glare") was marketing bullshit when I saw it advertised. Interesting.

I kid you not.   Late in the day, the reflection off a high loft wedge is blinding!

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I had the old Ping Tour-S Rustique wedges back when they came out. I liked how they felt and they looked really nice in the beginning with that copper tone, but I quickly found out that they wouldn't stay that way. When I had them I was usually playing anywhere from 2-7 times a week, and the soles and faces of the clubs were completely silver within two weeks. The only part that rusted, as @iacas mentioned, was the topline and the upper rear portion of the wedge.

My current wedges are some Vokey black oxide wedges. I like them for the reduced topline glare, but again the lower half of the face along with the center area and the sole/lower rear of the wedge are completely silver. When I buy my next set of wedges, which I may do soon, I'll probably go with black oxide again just because I liked that finish. 

54 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

41 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I kid you not.   Late in the day, the reflection off a high loft wedge is blinding!

3 hours ago, mvmac said:

Even though I don't play rusty wedges I do like the way they look. Would be cool to get a set of raw irons and wedges, like Rory has.

Rory_McIlroy_Callaway_irons_Closeup.jpgimage.jpg

Yeah, the anti-glare thing is a legit selling point.  The concept about the rust creating more spin which was another supposed benefit when they first became popular turned out to be not true.  The rust actually forms in the grooves which reduces spin.  

A set of raw irons sounds cool and seems like a good idea on paper, but a friend of mine who plays on Tour had a set of raw Cleveland TA1 irons a number of years ago, and they were really high maintenance.  All the heads had to be gone over with a scotch brite pad every day because they would rust just from being exposed to whatever humidity was in the air.  They were more of a pain in the ass than it was worth.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!