IGNORED

My Swing (Killa)

Killa

Didn’t have the time to practice a lot since the last video session but I played 36 holes in the meantime. 

I can keep a solid swing during the 9 hole rounds but I start to break down during 18. I guess that’s because I carry my bag and I’m not in the best shape of my life (just too much sitting at work

So here are two new videos. These are at about 50% swing speed. 

If I could repeat this swing at 90% I’d be really happy. So my plan is just slow swings like this until I can do it at 90%. So now I will focus at the short game and putting for a while and still do 20-40 swings like these during my practices. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played a really long course again today - 6600 yards. 

Didn’t play as bad as my score ended up. 110... 

It’s hard to score when you are hitting 3 wood,3 wood on par 4s. 

Need to start working on my driver but the local range is closed and will be for a while. 40 yards on every hole would definitely help a lot. 

I played a round on Thursday and developed a bad case of the topsies. 

I stop transferring the weight forward but rather push off with my left leg and this causes me to lift up. On the last hole I concentrated hard to feel like I go down when I hit the ball and that helped. Will try to get a practice session in on Monday to see if I can correct it. That is currently my first priority, to get my weight forward on impact because I can do it perfectly on my practice swings. 

• 1 month later...

Shot these two videos from a short training session. And while I like my swing looks in general it produces somewhat a push fade/slice with my longer clubs. I’m lost for why...

• Administrator

Backswing is kinda backward - you go up and then in, instead of in and then up. This results in being laid off, so the forearms roll on the downswing and the clubhead/sweet spot comes over the top.

I'd take the hands in with the turn (see below) and then take them "up" and feel like it's slightly across the line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...
On 30. avgust 2018 at 2:05 AM, iacas said:

Backswing is kinda backward - you go up and then in, instead of in and then up. This results in being laid off, so the forearms roll on the downswing and the clubhead/sweet spot comes over the top.

I'd take the hands in with the turn (see below) and then take them "up" and feel like it's slightly across the line.

I didn't see this reply until now. A couple of weeks ago I found a thread on here which described the FEEL of the right arm being stretched out as long as possible. I think it helped me with what you are describing in that topic, but not enough. And after watching myself again I was wondering if I am leaning over too much and that that results in the turn taking the hands up instead of in? I was only practicing this in the mirror for the past two evenings and I feel like I could stand much more upright, but then again I don't know if my clubs are set up to allow me to stand up more straight (normal non fitted clubs).

• Administrator

Your setup is fine. Almost perfect. Don't change your setup.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/22/2018 at 4:08 AM, iacas said:

Your setup is fine. Almost perfect. Don't change your setup.

I’ve been practicing in front of a mirror and twice on a net on the range (I know, not a lot of time) and this is what it looked like today:

I do think the difference is quite obvious. The feel that the club should go back faster didn’t work at all, the feeling that the left shoulder should go more down to the ball didn’t work at all. Then what worked is the hands itself going back very fast - also did what you did in that pasted video above, did some two piece takeaway swings just to get the feel for it. Am I on the right path or should I go further back faster?

I took two screen shots of A2. I think I developed that flaw because I was worried about being too far back at A2 and I read somewhere that it’s better to be too much forward than too much backward. But I obviously overdid it. 

06D8546C-DD6A-4621-81D6-3FF86247EC2E.jpeg

23D03D4B-07F4-48D3-B572-732DE9114653.jpeg

I’m working on depth and also at the steepnes of my backswing. I feel like I was much too laid off compared to looking at tour player iron strikes.

Today the local range is opening again after being closed all season so hopefully I’ll be able to see my ball flight more often from now on, but I’m afraid that winter will come soon this year.

Played another 18 today. Shot 96. Had a 4 putt and 4x3 putted. Some of those 3 putts were from over 10 yards away and on layered greens. Made that up with a few one putts and a chip in so my total putt number was 35. 

I was fighting a pretty severe push fade/slice for the first 9 then I just started to align with my club face closed and it turned to a playable fade/straight shot. I’m glad I can use the ball flight laws to fix a flaw on the course but that’s not a real fix but something I need to find out why and fix it for real. 

I have a tournament on Saturday where I expect to drop my hcp to around 25 hopefully. I don’t think I’ll be able to drop below 20 this year as I might only play in this tournament this year. Sandbagging for the win. 🙂

On 9/25/2018 at 3:28 PM, Killa said:

Umm... are you hitting golf balls into children?!?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, billchao said:

Umm... are you hitting golf balls into children?!?

🙂 looks like it but there is a net

I had a tournament this Saturday, and I expected my hcp to drop a significant number. My Garmin is saying I'm playing to a 19,4 hcp at the moment, but my registered hcp is still 31. I had the WORST 9 holes this year by FAR in the first 9 playing +8 to my hcp and then going even par to my hcp on the second 9 (2 rounds of the same 9 holes). 

I guess it was mental - I was in a pretty bad mood the couple of days leading up to the tournament (non golf issues) and I was pretty much determined the last month that I wouldn't score well on this course, because it's always hit or miss for me. Either I shred it (like playing low 40's on 9 holes) or wreck it (playing high 50's). It has some pretty narrow holes and because it's pretty short as well my scoring is directly related to how I'm striking the ball. If my 3 wood is doing it's work then I have wedges into greens. If not it's pretty much a lot of water and OB everywhere. 

I maybe had 10 strokes I was satisfied with the whole round and I shot a 106. It didn't help that it was pissing down the last 6 holes.

Oh and the best part of it was, that I was playing with a fade/slice the last 2 months. On my first tee shot I line up a bit to the left expecting to fade my 4 iron back to the fairway and even if I hit it straight I was all good, and if I sliced it worse I had the whole fairway to work with. Well naturally I pulled it OB. Made a triple with my second ball on the par 4 (so 5 with my second ball). Second tee shot was a HORRIBLE socket straight OB again on a 185 yards par 3 over a lake. Made double with my second ball even though it was in the water (playable at the very edge of the water on the bottom of the hill) thanks to a 18" putt. Third hole I had to pick the ball up after PULLING two sidehill lies with a 9 iron OB from the rough. And I never recovered from that. 

I couldn't get my weight forward all day long, and couldn't figure out why. No confidence and that was it, all downhill. 

The only good thing lately is that I am finishing stronger than I am starting. So my back 9 are getting better than my front 9 for the first few times in my life. 

• 2 weeks later...

Played a new course today. Was 6600 yards long but admittedly very open with not a lot of hazards. Pretty much perfect for my game except one 230 yard par 3. 

The greens were super firm and fast though and I’m used to my approach shots and pitches to stick, but today pretty much everything had 5-10 yards roll out on the green. 

Had 43 putts. One 4 putt and 6 or 7 3 putts. 

Used my driver for the first time and used it on 14 holes. Did pretty good with it. But again it was a very open course with forgiving rough. 

Irons were awesome. Clean crisp shots and everything from 7 down was straight, 4-5-6 was a slice but something I could play with. 

• 2 weeks later...

Played another 40++ putt round yesterday. Obviously my putting needs work. 

The best part of my game is my pitching and the game from 100-30 yards in. Everything shorter is bad. Everything longer is depending on the day. 

Yesterday was rough. I was slicing and hitting shots fat. Putting was horrendous. I had 4 3putts and one 5 putt. 

Two of the 3 putts were on my 4 GIR. 

Will need to work on my short game next spring. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ve lost my swing completely over the last month. After the horrendous showing in my club championship I broke 100 only once. Today I played the course where my last 3 scores were under 100. Shot a 114. And my putting wasn’t even that bad. But it was very wet and I hit a lot of fat shots that I obviously don’t get penalized for in dryer conditions. I also didn’t know how to adapt so all my pitches were going 30 yards short because the club just slid under the ball. 

The slice I have been playing with all summer is gone and now my shot zone is unpredictable again as I can fade or snap hook my 3 hybrid in successive shots. 

The only bright spot was me finishing the 4 par 3s with a score of +1. And that +1 was because of a 3 putt. 

• 2 weeks later...

Played another round on a 6500 course. Shot a horrible total of 117 BUT I didn’t play to my lowest score possible - I shot driver on any hole shorther than 250 yards. That lead to 9 penalty strokes of which 7 were stroke and distance. And of those 117 a 16 was on the last hole 😂 3 tee shots OB and then I was behind some trees laying 9 and I decided that whatever happens I’m flopping over them. So after 3 more I did get it over 😂😂but whatever. The purpose of the round was not to shoot the absolute lowest score I’m capable of scoring now but to loose more respect of the driver. 

Today I went to our club indoor center and had the trackman for 15 minutes with the club pro. And I was a bit surprised by the numbers. I thought that my slice was because I come over the top but it’s actually more a push slice. Path was around -1°, AoA from -2-+1 and swing speed in the 93-97 range. Now the real surprise is that my face angle is at 9-10°. So I’m not squaring up at impact. Will be addressing that next week in lessons. Hopefully that will translate to straight 220-230 carry drives.