IGNORED

What would be your strategy?

p1n9183
Note: This thread is 2562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@p1n9183 It would depend on how the shots seem to be going (especially the driver) that day.  We're pretty close in our distances, so I'll go with what you noted above.

I'd go with a 3h off the tee and 6i into the green.  Chances are I would get pretty close for an up and down (or maybe lucky and be on).

Not a confident day with the 3h, I'd tee off with the 6i and hit 3h into the green (other than left, doesn't seem like a lot of trouble around the green).  Should wind up close enough for a chance to get up and down.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@p1n9183,

This is a former caddie talking to you.

In another thread, you were talking about different drivers you were considering. Could you control things better with the weak fade driver that goes 250 yds.?

If so, you could aim for the left side of the fairway and drop it in the fairway toward the water hazard. If it goes into the hazard, you take a 1-stroke drop (less hassle than OB) and hit a 6i into the green. If it stays up, you get a shot at the green and a par.

Elsewhere,  you mentioned the draw driver gives you more balls into the trees than the fade driver. So, decide on your most reliable driver (fade?), and plan from there.

IF you got a par and a bogie, you would definitely be ahead of the field.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

For me depends on wind.  Assuming none and I feel confident with it my first choice is driver.    I'm confident most times with driver that I won't go left so no biggie there.

If for whatever reason that's not feeling good it's no biggie to hit a mid iron hybrid off the tee.  The green looks pretty benign.  It looks like no biggie to hit a long approach into.  The hole requires you to play some golf.  I like it.  Not the easiest of holes definitely.

Edited by Jack Watson

If your shot cones all the way down to a 6 iron are going to overlap that means you can expect to sometimes hit it in the hazard with every club except for a 6 iron. 

The odds of you getting it done in 3 from 230 out, you say, are pretty slim. That means this hole is already a bogey hole for you. Worst case, if you hit it in the water with the drive, is you are playing from 170 out and a standard par approach and two putt is the bogey you would receive otherwise. 

If you hit a good tee shot and decent approach to make par, you saved a stroke from the bogey you expected otherwise. Worst case is you don't get down in 3 after dumping it in the drink and you made your "bogey" compared to what you expected to get on that hole. 

It's a tough hole. Like @iacas mentioned, you just need to toughen up on this hole and swing confident with your driver. Choke down a half inch if it helps, but you're going to need to hit it to have a chance at par or better on the hole. If it concerns you, you can always favor the left side slightly since you have trees and a bunker to shield you from trouble.

Hybrid, then 4 iron to the fat part of the green.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 2562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!