IGNORED

What would be your strategy?

p1n9183
Note: This thread is 2552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This weekend played a Mid-Am at Newman Golf Club, in Bs As Argentina. I love the strategy part of the game, and search on google Earth the new course i will play in orther to set a game plan.

The 6th hole was a really hard par 4 and it was really hard to decide what to do. Played it 2 times over the tournament scoring a bogey and a double (+3), I would spect to shoot (+1) at least.

The Hole it´s a 420 Yards par 4, 6th hole for the course. Here´s a picture with the yardage references from the tee, 100/150/200 marks, and width yardages too. 58ff37ebb9a4c_6thHole.png.22da20a58aa03e45134afe8157737d17.png

This are my totalDistances/shot cones.

Driver 270 / 80
3 Wood 250 / 73
Hybrid 230 / 66
4 Iron 210 / 60
5 Iron 200 / 54
6 Iron 190 / 48
7 Iron 180 / 41 

The problem was that according to my shot cones i should hit a 6 iron in orther to avoid both penalty hazards and leave me with a 2nd shoot of 230 yards to the green where i have to aim rigth of it because of the hazard on the left. Par chances where slim. Hit Driver/Wood/Hybrid will put the crossbunker into play and both penalty hazards.

What would be your strategy in a 36-holes stroke play competition? Mine didn´t work out...

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With that hole, I'd see if anybody was willing to just giving me a bogey in exchange for moving directly onto the next hole.

That white line on the left is OB, correct? Assuming it is OB, if you hit it left, can you tell if it's just in the hazard or if it went OB? In other words, if you lose the ball left, will you have to take stroke and distance from the tee?

My first blush opinion is that the widest part of the hole is where the bunker is. I'd hit a club that put it in that area. Bunker could also save a shot from rolling into the hazard or OB. I'd rather be in the bunker than in the hazards. That gives you 50 yards of width to hit to.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

What's to the right of the water, another fairway?.....is it big?:-) 
A shot like that I think I would defer to the club that I just felt the most confident I could hit the desired shot that day and leave a decent distance to the green.  For me, typically a hybrid.

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Looks like about, what, 320 to carry the water on the right?    I say just carry that, then it's wide open for you! :-D

No, In all seriousness, the only people paring this hole are people that risk all the hazards and take driver down the fairway, and people that hit miracle 230 hybrids around the trap to the green.  People that go Driver and don't find a penalty stroke at least once over the weekend, are pretty lucky as well.   I think you just gotta play this hole knowing the the majority of the field is walking away with bogey or worse.   A really great Driver of the ball with use this hole as a differentiator hole vs. the rest of the field, but given your other post regarding your driver, I don't think this is you.  

If I am you, I am playing this hole as a short par 5, hitting 6 iron off the tee, an 7 iron (or 6) to land you just short of the greenside bunker, and then try to get up and down once for par from 30 yds out, most likely 2-putting the other time for bogey.   No shame in walking away from this hole+1 for the weekend.  

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Yeesh, that's a bear.  Can't really tell in the image, but is it possible to take driver across the pond and get home from that direction?

Playing it straight (and sharing similar distance numbers as you), I'd probably opt for hybrid/6-iron combo.  I'm throwing the shot cone/dispersion numbers out on this one, and playing a tee shot that holds up most often under pressure...which, for me, is the hybrid.  

Edited by Let it Fly

- Bill

• Administrator

Sometimes you just have to man up and hit a good shot or two.

If you're not good with your driver or 3W, play it in three shots for an easy bogey: 7I, 7I gets you to 60 yards, and a pitch gives you a par putt.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

39 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

With that hole, I'd see if anybody was willing to just giving me a bogey in exchange for moving directly onto the next hole.

With 2 bogeys i would score one stroke better than i did

42 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

That white line on the left is OB, correct? Assuming it is OB, if you hit it left, can you tell if it's just in the hazard or if it went OB? In other words, if you lose the ball left, will you have to take stroke and distance from the tee?

Yes, everything lost left it´s OB. Penalty + distance.

19 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

What's to the right of the water, another fairway?.....is it big?:-) 

An even narrower fairway !! same thing OB right, water left.  i think about that too.

14 minutes ago, lastings said:

Looks like about, what, 320 to carry the water on the right?    I say just carry that, then it's wide open for you! :-D

Working on adding an extra 70 yards carry to my long game :D

15 minutes ago, lastings said:

A really great Driver of the ball with use this hole as a differentiator hole vs. the rest of the field, but given your other post regarding your driver, I don't think this is you.

Definitivly not my case.

17 minutes ago, lastings said:

If I am you, I am playing this hole as a short par 5, hitting 6 iron off the tee, an 7 iron (or 6) to land you just short of the greenside bunker, and then try to get up and down once for par from 30 yds out, most likely 2-putting the other time for bogey.   No shame in walking away from this hole+1 for the weekend.

Yes, i could be a valid strategy if the ping it´s in an easy placement. First day was tucked behind the bunker, imposible to make up and down. The 2nd day it would been easier with the pin in the back left.

24 minutes ago, Let it Fly said:

Playing it straight (and sharing similar distance numbers as you), I'd probably opt for hybrid/6-iron combo.  I'm throwing the shot cone/dispersion numbers out on this one, and playing a tee shot that holds up most often under pressure...which, for me, is the hybrid.

Yeap, my hibrid is my confident club too.

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

I doesn´t work like that. Sometimes i will hit it into the fairway and other into the water, you never now where it´s going, that´s why we apply shot zones to avoid luck.  

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

I doesn´t work like that. Sometimes i will hit it into the fairway and other into the water, you never now where it´s going, that´s why we apply shot zones to avoid luck.  

Yes it does.

If you're playing for the lowest score on average, you apply the LSW approach and choose the lightest colored egg. Simple.

But sometimes, in a tournament or a situation where you need a birdie or a par or whatever, you just have to hit a good ****ing shot when it's asked of you.

The 18th at Doral, maybe you average 4.4 playing it the "right" way, but you need a birdie to win or a par to force a playoff? Guess what: you've gotta man up, take your driver down the left-center of the fairway, and not just chip an iron out there or whatever Tiger Woods did when he lead by two and was the only guy left on the course, so he played for a safe, easy bogey.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

Love it.  Get your power walk on from 5-green, tee it high and let it fly.

vince.gif

• Upvote 1

- Bill

just a tight shot no matter what - suck it up and hit a good shot

I'd go ahead with the hybrid (I'm hitting those really straight this season....so far) and just try to hold it short of the trap.  Can't do anything about the water.  So I'm stuck with a long iron, short hybrid approach shot.

Of course if there's wind, adjust from that strategy as applicable.

Bill - 

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

If you're playing for the lowest score on average, you apply the LSW approach and choose the lightest colored egg. Simple.

Agreed! that´s why i hit an iron, was the safest way to play for the lowest score in average.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

But sometimes, in a tournament or a situation where you need a birdie or a par or whatever, you just have to hit a good ****ing shot when it's asked of you.

Agreed too, but this was hole 6th. If it was the 18th and a birdie will put me in play off i definitvly would hit driver.

This is the type of hole that I tell people to make sure they have a wood/hyrbid that they know the can hit straight the most often.  When there is trouble where ever you look, just make sure the ball is in play off the tee.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

4 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

This weekend played a Mid-Am at Newman Golf Club, in Bs As Argentina. I love the strategy part of the game, and search on google Earth the new course i will play in orther to set a game plan.

The 6th hole was a really hard par 4 and it was really hard to decide what to do. Played it 2 times over the tournament scoring a bogey and a double (+3), I would spect to shoot (+1) at least.

The Hole it´s a 420 Yards par 4, 6th hole for the course. Here´s a picture with the yardage references from the tee, 100/150/200 marks, and width yardages too. 58ff37ebb9a4c_6thHole.png.22da20a58aa03e45134afe8157737d17.png

This are my totalDistances/shot cones.

Driver 270 / 80
3 Wood 250 / 73
Hybrid 230 / 66
4 Iron 210 / 60
5 Iron 200 / 54
6 Iron 190 / 48
7 Iron 180 / 41 

The problem was that according to my shot cones i should hit a 6 iron in orther to avoid both penalty hazards and leave me with a 2nd shoot of 230 yards to the green where i have to aim rigth of it because of the hazard on the left. Par chances where slim. Hit Driver/Wood/Hybrid will put the crossbunker into play and both penalty hazards.

What would be your strategy in a 36-holes stroke play competition? Mine didn´t work out...

Pretty narrow, with bad consequences right or left. I'd probably hit a 3W to the 220/46 wide distance, and possibly get some roll out, then up to maybe a 4i to the right side of the green.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On holes like this I still hit driver but I like to get the ball moving away from OB. So ill go right side tee box aim at the left side of the fairway and work a cut away from OB and go from there.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9.0 Aldila Rogue Silver X-Stiff I Taylormade M2 3 wood Fujikara 661 Speeder X-Stiff I Callaway Apex 3 Iron UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F5 X-Stiff I Mizuno MP-59 4-PW Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff I Mizuno Wedges (Blue) 52_56_60 Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex I Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 USA Edition I Taylormade Tour Preferred 

Not really much of a choice for strategy on this hole in my opinion. Some holes simply require you to hit a great shot and this is one of them. Laying back to leave an approach shot of 200+ seems like a mistake on a 420 yard hole unless you are not remotely accurate with driver or 3 wood. 

I am probably just hitting driver all day on this hole and hoping for the best as you have to give up 35-50 yards to get a slightly wider fairway (still has trouble on both sides) which leaves you with a very long approach shot.

I'd aim over to that bunker with my driver and play a cut into the fairway. If you can't do that, just lay up and hit a second shot that'll leave you close for a short pitch onto the green and hope to one putt.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The fairway width doesn't vary that much and there is nowhere to miss left of the bunker.   I don't see much strategy here......  I see this hole as a "NUTT up" and hit it long and straight hole...IMO.

The play is driver up the left side of the fairway.  If I hit it into the bunker, I can accept a 150-160yd fairway bunker approach providing the lip isn't a deep cavern.  Laying back and leaving a 230yd 2nd shot only works if you are Tiger woods.   (back in the day)...LOL   

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 2552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!