IGNORED

Kelly Tilghman comment

bca42
Note: This thread is 5993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who cares? lets move on, who would you like to see take over as commentaters, er, the figures to represent the golf channels announcement of the shot to shot calls. Lets make this good, oh, and keep me tuned in!!

In the bag:
Driver-Cleveland HiBore XLS Tour 10.5s
Hybrids-Adams Pro Gold
Irons-Srixon I-701Tour PX6.0
Wedges-Srixon WG 50*/56*Putter-Rife BarbadosBalls-Bridgestone B330S

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think it's unfortunate that her career is in jeoprody because of such an insignificant comment. The ignorance of the general public in this country is really scary sometimes!

We are gonna buy Barry Bonds, and Roger Clemens BS, but crucify Kelly for at worse a slightly tasteless comment??????? God help us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I really think it's unfortunate that her career is in jeoprody because of such an insignificant comment. The ignorance of the general public in this country is really scary sometimes!

were not buying anything!

In the bag:
Driver-Cleveland HiBore XLS Tour 10.5s
Hybrids-Adams Pro Gold
Irons-Srixon I-701Tour PX6.0
Wedges-Srixon WG 50*/56*Putter-Rife BarbadosBalls-Bridgestone B330S

Whether or not she meant to say it, she did, and as a broadcaster she has to watch what she says, without any slip ups. Unfortunately she slipped up and she is paying the price :( Good Luck Kelly
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

So this morning I hear the Rev. Sharpton has now gotten involved. What a bag of poo! Tiget has said, through his agent, that he knows Kelly and considers this a non-issue. Someone wake up the Rev Sharpton and tell him to get a life.

Well now its over, suspended for two weeks. My opinion has changed however, I now think the words "lynch in a back alley", in any context, whether racially motivated or not, are just plain unsportsmanlike and are regrettable. I think the two week suspension is fair.

Has anybody ever compiled a list of all the words and phrases were not allowed to say anymore? Something like George Carlin's big list of dirty words you never hear on TV, but more PC related than sex-related. It would be both fascinating and IMO scary.

• Administrator

Tiger is happy.

Don't confuse what an athlete like Tiger says and does via PR mechanisms with what he actually feels. Tiger has a long, long history of quietly (and some not-so-quietly) shunning people who wrong him.

He may give Kelly the perpetual cold shoulder from here on out - or he may actually be friends with her enough to know that she goofed. But it was a goof. This is not a situation where you can argue that "nothing is wrong." It was inappropriate even if you remove racism from the equation. All Nick said was "gang up on" and Kelly jumped to murder.
I think this is wrong.

I think it's a good decision. If she were left on, TGC could be seen as supporting her for a remark that, again even if we remove racism, was low-class.

If the public were ignorant then they'd have let it slide. It's for the exact opposite reason - people KNOW what the word "lynch" implies, where it came from, etc. - that this is a big deal.

We are gonna buy Barry Bonds, and Roger Clemens BS, but crucify Kelly for at worse a slightly tasteless comment??????? God help us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ain't buyin' their garbage. I think most people simply don't CARE about baseball and drugs anymore. The sport has a serious credibility issue right now.

If David Faherty would have said what Kelly said, people would have brushed it off.

I honestly don't think David Feherty would have said it, and I certainly don't believe he'd have said it about a black guy.

This wasn't a generic comment, like "body bags" (from McCord). It was a word known by many to have racial connotation said towards one of the incredibly few guys on Tour who are at least part "black."
Well now its over, suspended for two weeks. My opinion has changed however, I now think the words "lynch in a back alley", in any context, whether racially motivated or not, are just plain unsportsmanlike and are regrettable. I think the two week suspension is fair.

Indeed. If you remove racism entirely, the sentiment she expressed (murdering Tiger Woods) is still pretty bad.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let's not make a mountain out of molehill. It was a poor choice of words, which we all have done, do, and continue to do. The golf channel should not give into Al Sharpton's reverse racism (yeah, i said it) and be fired for it. It's a blip. She got suspended for two weeks, apologized to Tiger, and has been forgiven. She's really good at what she does, and she shouldn't be punished anymore than she already has (mentally, she's being beatdown by all the national attention, which is enough). Let it be and move on people...

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

I'm sure she didn't even think about a comment like that before she said it. Now she regrets it and has made amends to it. To bad the TGC has to cater to idiots like Al Sharpton let alone respond to the likes of him. He probably didn't even know of the comment being made. If the #1 player in the world was a white guy and she said that there wouldn't even be another word about it said.

the fact that TGC bowed to Rev. Sharpton is incredibly weak.

I am never happy to that race-pimp Sharpton involved in anything, but any reason to get her off the air will do. Set aside the "racially insensitive" remark, she is a terrible golf commentator and I'd be happy to see her doing something else.

History is littered with be bones of people who made silly comments that ruined them. Jimmy The Greek, for instance. Fuzzy Zoeller could never get a job in sports broadcasting after his innocent joke made over a decade ago. A lot of people have suffered for making comments about fried chicken, watermelon, monkeys. and so on. When you are in a position like that you have to separate your locker-room jokes from the one's you make on the air. She's a dufus all-in and if she got canned for any reason, it would be good for golf fans around the world.

I am never happy to that race-pimp Sharpton involved in anything, but any reason to get her off the air will do. Set aside the "racially insensitive" remark, she is a terrible golf commentator and I'd be happy to see her doing something else.

Why all the hostility over a golf commentator? Holy crap dude, did she stand you up at your senior Prom or something?

I know ignorance is not an excuse, but I really didn't know that lynching had a racial meaning until all of this. I always associated the term with Lynch Mobs going after criminals and stringing them up (and my guess is most of the bad guys were white). If Faldo used the phrase, "gang up on him" couldn't that also be racist - clearly he was only talking about black gangs, not hispanic, italian, chinese, russian, etc.
Personally, I think it's ashame that some people look for reasons to be offended. I honestly doubt that Kelly meant anything racist by her statement, especially as directed towards Tiger. She has always put him up on a pedestal (as many of us do) and I doubt she really cares what color, or ethnicity, Tiger is.
Just my $.02.
What's in the bag?
Taylormade R7 Superquad
TaylorMade Burner 3W & 5W
Hogan Edge Hybrid 21*
Mizuno MX20 4-PWCleveland 588 GW & CG10 SWOdyssey 2-Ball Center ShaftTitleist NXT Tour

Why all the hostility over a golf commentator? Holy crap dude, did she stand you up at your senior Prom or something?

I enjoy watching golf every weekend and occasionally learn something interesting from the commentators. I certainly anticipate being entertained by them. She is one of the worst sports commentators ever and she diminishes the experience. Even the sound of her droning voice is tiresome.

Your comment about the prom sounds like it may derive from personal experience. I didn't go. SubPar

I enjoy watching golf every weekend and occasionally learn something interesting from the commentators. I certainly anticipate being entertained by them. She is one of the worst sports commentators ever and she diminishes the experience. Even the sound of her droning voice is tiresome.

I'm not get quite has harsh concerning Tilghman, but I wouldn't mind if the Golf Channel did find some one else as its lead announcer. I used to think the that boys over on the USA Network did a pretty good job with their early round coverage, maybe the Golf Channel can get Bill Patrick or something.

Note: This thread is 5993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!