Sign in to follow this  
CMartis

Check your AT&T accounts!

Note: This thread is 933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 posts / 1475 viewsLast Reply

My wireless AT&T account was recently hacked! If you use the same service you may want to look into you account to make sure you are not a victim as well. I found out because I received a text from AT&T stating my insurance replacement phone had shipped and would be arriving today. The thing is I never submitted a claim for a replacement phone. When I called to see what was going on, my pin wouldn't work. They said I changed my pin and added a new user to my account. Someone name Shawna in New Jersey. Also they said that's where the new phone was shipping and my phone was about to be useless if the new phone was activated. They finally straightened everything out and stopped shipment on the phone. Just a heads up if you use AT&T!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Thanks for the heads up.  I will check my acct today.

Normally you get an email to the original email account setup stating that your PIN had changed and gives you a link to click on if you weren't the person that initiated the change. If you didn't receive that email, you may want to change your email password as well.

Good deal on the heads up though. That's the first I have heard of that and I work for AT&T.

Edited by TN94z

6 hours ago, TN94z said:

Normally you get an email to the original email account setup stating that your PIN had changed and gives you a link to click on if you weren't the person that initiated the change. If you didn't receive that email, you may want to change your email password as well.

Good deal on the heads up though. That's the first I have heard of that and I work for AT&T.

I did. They were really surprised at what was done. They said whoever did it was a pro. They suggested changing my e-mail password. I've had a phone insurance claim with them and I got e-mails throughout the process. I even had to send a photocopy of my drivers license to get the claim approved so I don't know how they did it. 

I had a similar situation yesterday.   I got a notice from Verizon that my account pin had been changed.   I didn't change it, my wife didn't change it.   So I called.   The first thing they asked is the account password (pin).   When I entered it, they told me it was wrong!  They sent me a temporary pin to access the account but somehow the pin had been changed!  I had to change the pin but it is a little disconcerting to realize how vulnerable we are.  

The vulnerabilities will never really change as the security technology of networking has to keep up with the hackers more than the hackers keep up with security. The hackers create the need for new technology which gets harder to develop until an attack happens and the security companies figure out how it happened.

It sounds like this is something new that is happening, so it's good that you created this topic.

Note: This thread is 933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!