IGNORED

George Nicoll The Howitzer Sandwedge

Djkmordi
Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New to this forum , and I need to your collective brains!!

i have found a wonderful sand iron from the 30's .. I have had trouble extracting the pill from bunkers for a number of years now and this club was languishing in the shed until I recently called it up for duty! Well, it was fantastic , completely blew me away , then I had a horrible thought , is it legal to use in comps? I would be distraught if it wasn't !

Could anybody  help with this issue ?

oh yes , it's the George Nicoll Howitzer

Couldnt find anything on R &A site 

Hopefully and fingers crossed 

(edited)

Just looked it up - amazing how little the clubhead design (shape) has changed over the years - i doubt there would be any prohibition of its use. Don't see where it violates any club specification rules

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Don't see where it violates any club specification rules.

Key thing would be the grooves - do they conform to the 2010 grooves change rule. If it has the traditional V-grooves of the era, it might be OK. I don't know if R&A/USGA would charge you to measure it.

@Ballestairrods, you might search around and see the patent status of the Howitzer design. Maybe you could start a small craft shop which makes awesome - and historic - SWs...

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I believe Tad Moore has made a replica of this club . 

Also George Nicoll was purchased by the St Andrews golf company many years ago and they also have disappeared! 

Thanks very much for your reply Woodzie

Another thing about the club, it has the original shaft with the finish that makes it look like cane ! Also the original grip ! Sort of a red ribbed effort ! I'm reluctant to change anything like the shaft , grip in case it breaks the spell !

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I have been in touch with the R and A about this club. This model was used by Henry Cotton in winning The Open at Royal St George back in the day .. he's the thing , the club was never submitted for testing , never! I'm wondering if Henry Cotton was using illegal clubs at the time ! 

A member of my club in Australia is also a member of the Royal and Ancient and he is going to St Andrews in August with the club to have it tested. I will keep you posted on what transpires . 

Edited by Djkmordi

Could you upload a picture?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I sent these same photos and they decided they'd like to see it in the flesh . They said they'd stand the return shipping , I spoke RA member who is a golf historian buff who volunteered to take it in person and return it . He says he'll get a quick turn around 

fingers firmly crossed. I feel the grooves maybe a bit iffy !! 

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Further news re this Howitzer 

It has now been examined by the the R&A , and it has failed the groove test . Does not conform unfortunately. 

What a bummer !! 

I will report what they found shortly !

ps I am Ballestairrods 

Edited by Djkmordi

• Administrator

Thank you @Djkmordi.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's a lot of bounce.  I'd guess it's mainly for the bunker.  Do you hit it out of the fairway too?

I've recently gone back to my old Wilson R - 90.  I bought it almost 25 years ago at Pebble Beach, more for a souvenir than anything.  I've rarely ever hit it and went through a phase where it didn't feel right.  But a few months ago I wanted to get a little more handsy with medium distance pitch and tried it again.  I like it better than my new Titleist Vokey 52' wedge, thought the R-90 has more loft.  It's heavier and has a much cleaner bounce.  I love it and would like to buy a new one.

I still hit a 60' Power Built wedge that's at least 30 yrs old with worn grooves.  It's the only one I've ever seen.  Has a strange trough down the middle of the bounce area.  It's so solid from the bunker.  I'd buy another one if I could. 

I'm sure newer models are better but maybe I'm just so used to these old clubs.

I belong to a golf club that is very private one that runs their own handicapping system, and is totally off the grid as far as R&A and world  golf is concerned. So I'll still be able play with it In our comps ! The club is very resistant to change and it's like going back into the 40's , I love it !

cheers 

8 hours ago, Djkmordi said:

I belong to a golf club that is very private one that runs their own handicapping system, and is totally off the grid as far as R&A and world  golf is concerned. So I'll still be able play with it In our comps ! The club is very resistant to change and it's like going back into the 40's , I love it !

cheers 

Do you have to wear plus fours and everything is in black and white? :-D

On a serious note, i think your club is taking a great attitude to golf. I think more should (many actually may do similar). Does your club allow anchoring putters?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Russ, pretty much so , tho there is only one member who does use the broomstick . 

I must point out that this golf club is over one hundred years old and has quite few members approaching that age themselves , it's a nine holer and it's a slice of heaven 

Its the Frankston Golf Club , google it if you like ,there is a bit about it and it's history .

Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!