IGNORED

Using individual irons not a part of a set

Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recently lost a 7 iron from my set of Callaway X Hots (Steel, Stiff), and can not for the life of me find an individual iron on Callaway preowned or sites like 2ndswing.com. The only place I can find one is on ebay for $70+. In my search, I've found XRs with those specs for as low as $30 used. I play once or twice a month, average high 80s-low 90s, and was wondering if it will make a big difference if that one club is different than the others. Any thoughts/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I think you will be fine unless you have issues with anal retention like I do.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, STLGolfer said:

Recently lost a 7 iron from my set of Callaway X Hots (Steel, Stiff), and can not for the life of me find an individual iron on Callaway preowned or sites like 2ndswing.com. The only place I can find one is on ebay for $70+. In my search, I've found XRs with those specs for as low as $30 used.

I'd check online and see if the length and loft are the same...if so, I'm guessing you won't be able to tell the difference.

If anyone asks, just tell them you're one of those people who assembles a "mixed set" of cavity backs and blades from two different models. ;-)

- John

Just now, Hardspoon said:

I'd check online and see if the length and loft are the same...if so, I'm guessing you won't be able to tell the difference.

If anyone asks, just tell them you're one of those people who assembles a "mixed set" of cavity backs and blades from two different models. ;-)

Haha I like this plan. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

I think you will be fine unless you have issues with anal retention like I do.

Well put. I think I could mix and match like crazy. I just don't want it look like I bought the set and different garage sale.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

If you can find a replacement XHot  7-iron on eBay for $70, go for it. That's a pretty good price.

Years ago I lost the head off my MacGregor MT 7i. To save $, a pro sold me an MT demo model from a couple of years later for $10. I wish to this day I had sprung for $40 and gotten an exact replacement. (I no longer use the MTs, but I keep them in their old bag, and it would be nice to have a matching set.)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!