klineka

My Swing (klineka)

190 posts / 29740 viewsLast Reply

Continuing to work on the full turn on the backswing with driver along with a feeling of "slowing down" the follow through. The thought in my head is "Coil, uncoil" reminding me to make my full turn, but then to just let myself uncoil naturally and feeling like I'm slowing down on the downswing/not adding and extra effort for the downswing, which is making the ball flight much more neutral and having just a couple yard fade instead of big slices. Wasn't on a launch monitor so I'm not sure if I was actually swinging slower or if it was just the feeling, I know feel isn't real so I'd guess the uncoil/slow downswing feel was still within a couple mph of my normal speeds.

Spent some time practicing and getting comfortable with 3 wood and 3 and 4 irons off the tee again, had been feeling uncomfortable with those shots lately. 3 wood swing thought is same as driver, and 3 and 4 iron swing thought is more of just "full turn" just making sure I get a full turn instead of just lifting with my arms.

Irons have been "meh" lately, not great but manageable, mishits were really high on the face, swing was getting way too long so worked on feeling like I was doing a half swing even though it actually looked like a normal full swing and strike came back almost instantly.

Wedges, short game, and putter have been dialed in lately, got down in two shots from ~100 yds multiple times in rounds on friday and saturday, including a par 3 that was playing 112 to the pin and my tee shot took one bounce just short of the hole and bounced up and hit the flagstick before settling down about 6 feet away. On the greens I knocked in a few 30+ footers and hit two 60+ footers to tap in range twice in my last rounds over the weekend.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Continuing to work on making the iron swing more compact, when the swing is more compact and I feel like its a half swing, the shaft doesn't get laid off as much. Also feeling like my hands are going "in and back" towards my right hip/pocket on the way back has helped too, similar things that I worked on in Erie last spring, just slipped back into some old habits with the irons recently as I had been focusing a lot on wedges and tee shots.

Speaking of wedges, I went and did a Callaway wedge fitting yesterday for the MD5 Jaws, decided to keep my current 50 degree for now, but got fitted for 54 and 58 degree wedges.

I knew I had a gap right around 80-90 yards in my current make up of 54 and 60, it was tough for me to take that much off my 54, and it required a pretty hard swing to get my 60 degree that far, but the 58 fit perfect, a nice smooth 3/4 feeling swing was 90 yards consistently.

Stayed with the 10 degrees of bounce and the S grind in the 54 degree, but went with 12 degrees of bounce and the W grind for the 60, I really liked how it interacted with the turf especially on pitch shots and I really noticed a difference in quality and consistency of strikes using that grind compared to some of the others that were available. 

Placed the order this morning through Callaway pre-owned, who had "Like-New" condition for roughly $60 cheaper per club than brand new. They dont have the MD5 listed on their website, but if you call they have them in stock and will place the order for you. 

Pretty excited to have these arrive before heading down to Pinehurst July 9th.

Hit the new wedges for the first time tonight and they weren't bad, I was hitting almost all of my "full" shots with both clubs off the toe which was unusual for me, hit some knock down 100 yarders with the 54 and some 70 yarders with the 58 and those were more centered strikes so it was just the "full" shots that were off the toe. I compared the new head shape to the MD3 when I got home and the MD5 is a much smaller head overall and isn't as wide in heel to toe length as the MD3 so I'm thinking they will just take me a few sessions to get used to. 

Driver still needs some work, but for the moment am switched into more of a "play" mode since I'm heading to Pinehurst late Thursday night, I just worked on getting my swing thought down and practiced swings and hit shots where I felt that feeling, which is hands in/club more vertical on the way back, then keep right elbow under the left arm on the downswing and rotate my body through. 

For the Pinehurst trip, below is our schedule

Friday PM - Talamore 

Saturday AM - Mid South

Saturday PM - Tobacco Road

Sunday AM - Mid South

I'll probably add onto my existing Pinehurst topic after this next trip with any updates on Talamore/Mid South and then my thoughts on Tobacco Road too.

10 hours ago, klineka said:

For the Pinehurst trip, below is our schedule

Friday PM - Talamore 

Saturday AM - Mid South

Saturday PM - Tobacco Road

Sunday AM - Mid South

Have fun!

Hit the new wedges much better at the range last night, the gaping fits much better with the 58 compared to the 60, my "full" 58 is 90 yards which was exactly the gap I needed to fill because using my 54 degree I have a tough time keeping spin up while taking enough yardage off to hit my 54 degree 90yds

I've noticed something interesting over my last 3 rounds, here are my scores in those rounds

35 - 40

39 - 35

43 - 37

The main issue has been tee shots, mainly with me being too aggressive and hitting driver or even 3 wood when I dont need to and instead on some of the holes I should just be hitting my 3 iron out there 220-230 and leaving myself a 9 iron or wedge into the green, especially since my shot zone and misses are quite large with driver at the moment. 

I tend to forget the other important part about distance off the tee being important, so is keeping the ball out of hazards and trees. I typically play from shorter(ish) tees (6,300-6,500) so I just need to remember that laying back isn't always a bad thing, especially for my specific swing right now.

Time for a little recap from my Pinehurst trip.

Somewhat unexpectedly, that was the best I have ever driven the golf ball for a multiple round stretch. I didn't lose a single ball off the tee or have any penalty strokes off the tee over 3 rounds playing my own ball and one scramble round. I hit 60% of my fairways and averaged 267 off the tee combined with my driver and 3 wood and hit 70% of my fairways with the 3 wood. In terms of strokes gained, over the 3 rounds my strokes gained driving was -0.07 compared to scratch and +0.87 compared to a 5 hcp.

Shot shape was a slight fade, I started it a little left of the target and let it fade back, didn't have a single snap hook or huge slice, both of which had been issues recently for me. The biggest adjustment I made was to stand a bit further from the ball, and just focused on making a full turn on the way back. For whatever reason that really seemed to work so I'm excited to keep that momentum going in my upcoming rounds.

Biggest weakness was partial wedges, which was kinda to be expected since I just moved from a 60 degree to a 58, but I started working on them at the range last night and have a good feel for 50,60,70,80 yd ranges now with my new 58 degree. I did notice now with the fresh grooves I was able to hit really low but high spin 60-70 yd shots with my 54 degree that took one big hop then stopped which I used a couple times to get to a back flag where I didnt want to carry it the entire way with my 58 degree.

As part of the Talamore package each person in the group got a new 2018 Scotty Cameron putter, our group received the 2018 Scotty Cameron Select Fastback. I didn't use it while on the trip, but I tried it out last night and I really like it. I used a mirror and laser at home and was consistently lining it up better than my current putter, and when I tested it out on the putting green, it was really easy for me to aim. I did a 3 foot compass putting drill and I went 36/36 on the 3 footers, and went 31/36 on the same drill from 6 feet. Going to use it on the course for a round or two before I officially decide, but there's a really strong chance it will end up in my bag.

Decent practice session tonight working mainly on my weakest points from my last 5 rounds, 50-100 yd wedges and putting. Started off rough with my 58 trying to hit 50 yd shots, kept hitting them super thin and inconsistent, remembered my last short game lesson with my instructor where I needed to keep my weight more on my front foot and more wrist hinge on the backswing and that instantly made a difference. Most of the time I think I will use my 54 degree and go in lower, especially in the 60-80 yard range, but definitely want to have the ability to use the 58 for those yardages when necessary. 

I'm still mentally getting used to the fact that I don't need to grab my lob wedge all the time, most of the time even around the green I'm better off with my 54 degree.

My biggest issue with putting over the last 5 rounds has been 6-15 feet, from 6-9 feet i'm 0-10 and from 9-15 i'm 2-21. Spent time on breaking putts and actually identifying the spot outside of the hole where I wanted to aim (previously I would just kinda guess and not actually commit to a spot to aim), and making a confident stroke at that spot and I was holing a good number of them. Will be doing an aimpoint lesson with my instructor next week as well so looking forward to that.

Just did an Aimpoint lesson with my instructor, I really like it so far and my reads were pretty accurate when I was practicing compared to what his digital level said. 

Need to continue to spend time practicing to get calibrate, but I am encouraged by the results so far.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Just did an Aimpoint lesson with my instructor, I really like it so far and my reads were pretty accurate when I was practicing compared to what his digital level said. 

Need to continue to spend time practicing to get calibrate, but I am encouraged by the results so far.

Was this your first Aimpoint lesson? I’ve been curious about it for quite some time. I use my feet heavily to read greens (and have become a significantly better putter since learning to do so) so adding a bit of methodology behind that makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Grizvok

5 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

Was this your first Aimpoint lesson?

Yep, first time. I had occasionally used my feet to help read slopes in the past but hadn't learned how to get the specific aim point with my arm/fingers.