IGNORED

Difference between TP5 and 2016 TP balls

Note: This thread is 2426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Besides the price, what is the main difference between the taylormade TP5 and the 2016 taylormade tour preferred balls?  I wanted to order the TP5's but want to know if they are worth the $44 a dozon

“Golf is a compromise between what your ego wants you to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.”

WITB: :mizuno: JXP 850 Driver 9.5 degree, :tmade: Rocketballz 5 wood, :tmade: PSi 4i-AW, :tmade: ATV wedge 56 degree, Pine Meadow lob wedge 60 degree, :nike: Method Drone Core 2.0 putter

Probably not much of a difference. I'll play Pentas and not notice much difference and that ball is 5+ years old. 

With that said, I do love the new TPX5 ball. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
On 7/4/2017 at 5:21 PM, Lefty76 said:

Besides the price, what is the main difference between the taylormade TP5 and the 2016 taylormade tour preferred balls?  I wanted to order the TP5's but want to know if they are worth the $44 a dozon

Get yourself some of the Snell balls. They're great, and Dean Snell developed the Pro V1/V1x AND TaylorMade's golf balls up until about the TP5 ball.

http://snellgolf.com/

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

+1 on getting the Snell golf balls. Their premium golf balls are $32 a dozen. They are just as good as Pro-V's, Bridgestone, and any other premium golf ball. If you buy them in bulk the price per dozen drops to $27 per dozen. 

I've played them for the past two years now. I plan on continuing to use them. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

I play the 2016 Tour Preferred X and can get them online from the golf stores for $27-30. Typically one generation difference in a golf ball isn't very noticeable. The cost saving is however.

Snell MTB is a very nice ball as well as TM TP5x both are my favorites.  I do get Srixon and Bridgestone balls for free and play those a lot.  But if I am paying for a ball I buy Snell and TP5x

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 8:07 PM, saevel25 said:

+1 on getting the Snell golf balls. Their premium golf balls are $32 a dozen. They are just as good as Pro-V's, Bridgestone, and any other premium golf ball. If you buy them in bulk the price per dozen drops to $27 per dozen. 

I've played them for the past two years now. I plan on continuing to use them. 

Just out of curiosity. It is my understanding that Mr. Snell was involved in the design of Pro V1's awhile back. I wonder how close Snell balls are to Titleist and whether or not he had to sign a non competitive agreement or something when he left the company. I recall that I had to sign some sort of non disclosure agreement when I left.   Or, perhaps I do not have my facts straight?

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 3 weeks later...

I tried a sleeve of TP5's out of curiosity. They are a very nice ball. My game is not in a condition to offer fine comparisons, but they felt great coming off the club, gave good distance and stopping ability on the green.

They are also quite expensive, so I've found things I like just as much that aren't.

Note: This thread is 2426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!