IGNORED

Poor Instruction Is Very Common. Why?

Note: This thread is 1451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I don't think the pivot has as much to do with it as it sounds like you think it does.

I've seen terrible pivots, but people who just have a knack for "finding the golf ball" and some good hands shoot in the low 70s.

I've seen complete arm-swingers get to scratch golf with little more than a 45° turn. They struggle from there, and have a few compensations, but it can happen.

I wouldn't limit it to just the pivot. Some people just have a knack for "finding the ball" with some good speed.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because intelligent people by and large do not get into golf instruction. @iacas and @mvmac are exceptions to the rule, but top tier minds tend to go into other industries for various reasons includin

Biggest reason IMO is because there isn't much incentive to being a good instructor. It's tough to make a six figure income and you have to work a lot of hours. Typically most golfers think a golf les

A good teacher should still have the skills to help those that do need the bare bones explanation and can't understand anything too heavy.  The student shouldn't adjust to the teaching style of the te

• Administrator
Just now, Jack Watson said:

Yeah,  bottom line is certain individuals can and do improve really really quickly.  They do so much much faster than average joe.

I'd say some individuals shoot lower scores more quickly than others… some are setting themselves up for a ceiling (or a scoring floor), too, by the swings they "create" for themselves.

It's more about "finding the golf ball" for me, though, than "making a good pivot."

The original point was why is there so much bad instruction. I think there are basically two reasons, One, there's money in them there bad golf tips! Or two, "I'm the smartest guy I know, so I must be the smartest guy on the range!"

As for swing styles and pivot, I played a lot of golf with a buddy who was all upper body. Total arm swinger! Legs looked like they were rooted in the ground. But, he was a big guy, 6'3" - 220, and he could crush the ball!

Oddly, or maybe not, he could not hit his Driver to save his life! So, he teed off with a 3 wood. Sound familiar anybody? And he was doing this 30+ years ago. Go with the club you can hit!

On 8/8/2017 at 9:26 PM, Jack Watson said:

To me a person who refers to the swing as simple physics is really only advertising their personal lack of understanding of physics.

Yeah, no. My masters in engineering would say otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)
5 hours ago, Apoc81 said:

Yeah, no. My masters in engineering would say otherwise. 

Engineers can be very good at what they do.  In terms of mechanical/electrical engineers that I have experience with often they are very poor at troubleshooting.  Sure,  calcs and design are one thing,  but troubleshooting existing systems is another.   

I agree with Iacas.  The human element in our game is very different from simply designing some iron Byron contraption to make tests.

In fact imo in golf everything is a trade off.  

I stand by my comment that simply reducing it to some inane comment that anyone can play around with their move and become good by simple physics is ludicrous.

There is NO data that supports such a preposterous assertion.

One thing I will say is that for an instructor to be one of quality they must possess a knack for it.

People with a knack get to the root causes not symptoms.

I will say I definitely would never assert being a good instructor is simple physics imo it would have to be so much more.  In a way I think it's no wonder there is a lack of good instruction available.

Edited by Jack Watson
  • Like 1

Although poor professional instruction is common,  I highly recommend people going to pros and getting lessons over buying clubs and so forth.

Taking matters into ones own hands isn't gonna work 99.5% of the time

• iacas changed the title to Poor Instruction Is Very Common. Why?
Note: This thread is 1451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!