IGNORED

2017 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Discussion Thread

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, Chris223 said:

Yea thats gonna be tough for Ernie to get in it.

Well he doesn't have an invite at the moment.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Well he doesn't have an invite at the moment.  

Thats why I said that, its going to be tough for him to get in, as in, into the tournament at all

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

1 minute ago, Chris223 said:

Thats why I said that, its going to be tough for him to get in, as in, into the tournament at all

Sorry, I misread what you had said.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Spieth better turn it around quick or this will turn into the 2016 Masters.

That happened due to 2 bad swings on the wrong hole. Birkdale doesn't have any of those holes.

Trollin' is the life

The announcer just pointed out that I'm wrong (thank you for not using my name when doing so in front of a national audience!).  Phil can finish a career slam at the U.S. Open... so it's the next three majors that have one player already in the field who can do so.

How could I have forgotten? :-(  

Edited by Shindig

-- Michael | My swing! 

28 minutes ago, Shindig said:

And now it's official.  The next two majors we get to watch have people who could win it to finish a career slam (Jordan in the PGA, Rory and Ernie in the Masters, although Ernie needs to get there I think).

Ernie needs a PGA too.

Trollin' is the life

So what happens first (if at all):

Spieth completes career Grand Slam at PGA

Rory completes  career Grand Slam at Masters

Phil gets career Grand Slam at US Open

I'd probably go with option 1 just because I think it may happen next month and I'm not sure Rory or Phil are ever gonna win those majors.

1 hour ago, Hardspoon said:

People talk about wanting to see MJ play LeBron in their primes, but how much fun would it have been to see Prime Tiger versus Spieth on a Sunday...? Jeez. He's a machine.

Haha - you beat me to it.

I still can't believe Tiger never won a major by coming from behind. Always had lead or Co-lead.

Trollin' is the life

I do not like Chamblee at all lol, but what he just said is spot on.  Jordan is going to miss fairways and look like he's giving it all away and then he comes back and makes it

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

4 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

I do not like Chamblee at all lol, but what he just said is spot on.  Jordan is going to miss fairways and look like he's giving it all away and then he comes back and makes it

Yup.  And despite his long putts being the shots people remember, it's not his putting that saves him.  Basically, his iron play (and, to a lesser extent, his short game) is so good that he makes up for his poor driving and average putting.

- John

1 hour ago, iacas said:

No. There was no line of sight issue. He was behind a dune. He took a simple unplayable.

According to a few guys who were there. Simple unplayable. Don't give weight to what the TV guys were speculating about.

They just broke it down on golf channel with the rules official from R&A.  It was unplayable to the driving range he took the third option he had after calling it unplayable, then the rules committee had to confirm the driving range was not OB and ok to drop in, then once they determined where he could drop in line with the flag and where his ball was, they had to determine the nearest point of line of signt relief from all the equipment manufacturers trucks and trailers.  So it wasn't just a simple unplayable.  Not entirely defending how long Spieth took, but it wasn't just a simple unplayable either

Edited by Chris223

11 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

average putting.

You might be an average putter....Jordan Speith is not

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

6 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

I completely agree with this. 

Overall i I felt it was a great ending and enjoyed watching it. 

14 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

First of all, I resent that: I am a truly awful putter. 

I guess "average" was a poor choice of words. He's ranked 36th, so well better than average.  My point was that it's not his putting that is primarily bailing him out this year. 

- John

7 minutes ago, sirsteveo55 said:

Overall i I felt it was a great ending and enjoyed watching it. 

This!

Spieth made the last round a thriller by starting badly and finishing like a true champion.

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

So what happens first (if at all):

Spieth completes career Grand Slam at PGA

Rory completes  career Grand Slam at Masters

Phil gets career Grand Slam at US Open

I'd probably go with option 1 just because I think it may happen next month and I'm not sure Rory or Phil are ever gonna win those majors.

I would be reasonably shocked if Spieth doesn't get a PGA in his career. I think it's a coin flip whether Rory wins at Augusta (my bet would be no) and I think Phil's window is closed at the US Open.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, skydog said:

I would be reasonably shocked if Spieth doesn't get a PGA in his career. I think it's a coin flip whether Rory wins at Augusta (my bet would be no) and I think Phil's window is closed at the US Open.

I think next year is Phils best last chance. He's got a good history at Shinnecock and it's not an overly long course. If he's ever gonna do it, it's gonna be next year.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!