IGNORED

External rotation range of motion

Jack Watson
Note: This thread is 2469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's a video.  

I have a lot of trouble with this even without a club in a mirror trying to get a sense of a certain position.  I have a position I like very much at top of backswing but to even do it without swinging in a mirror it feels like I am wrenching my right arm.  In a swing it would be impossible for me to wrench my right arm.  What he show in the video club to stomach is a no go for me in an actual swing absolutely for sure.  Am I alone?  

Edited by Jack Watson

I let my left arm determine the extent of my back swing.  All my right arm does is accommodate the movement of the left.  This is one of those things I'd rather not think about.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

It's been a HUGE source of frustration for me over a period of years.  I see many golfers with much higher handicaps and much lower even pro than me swing in a way that I would like to but their top of backswing coming down is like some yoga contortion for me.

For me there's two possibilities one I don't know what I am doing or two what I would like to do is out of my range of motion.  

I am hoping to find an answer.  For me I see guys with higher handicaps and much lower with a certain look to the right forearm at the top that I really like.  For me trying to imitate what they do in a mirror with no club is a yoga move.

its very frustrating because them to me...

what they do has a lot of advantages...

FU$$!

...Frustrated 

Edited by Jack Watson

You are not alone. I wish I could do it in my downswing.

I can bend it back 45 degrees just standing there, but for the life of me I can't get it into my swing the way I want. I end up shallowing my plane to get the trail arm the way I want.

Have you tried starting with the first stretch he shows?

Everyone's frame geometry is unique; though based on a similar model.  Certain idiosyncrasies must emerge.  Else-wise we would be clones.  Fact is: no two golfers (or golf swings) look exactly alike.  While a proper pass incorporates fundamental elements; those elements manifest themselves in ways that are not immediately apprehensible to the naked eye...or inquiring mind.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

5 minutes ago, Rsuslow said:

ve you tried starting with the first stretch he shows?

Yes,  I did it when I first watched.  

Its a stretch.  For me a stretch is extending my easily attainable relaxed range of motion.  The downswing thing with club to stomach was where I was like thinking noway can I do that in a normal club swing.

Be very careful doing stretches to increase shoulder external rotation. You can do a lot of damage to your rotator cuff, labrum, etc.  I've had right shoulder surgery and worked for quite a while to get my flexibility back.  I still do the exercise and stretches routinely. 

Spend some time researching the correct exercises and stretches and do them gradually. Don't rush to overstretch or use too much resistance. It common for guys to think, more weight is better. With the shoulder, the opposite is true. Light resistance and more reps are better.

also, warm up before stretching.  You can do some of them anywhere too like your office.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I like the stretches he's showing. Thanks for sharing.

Is it safe to assume that we're all built differently and not all able to pull off the same moves? In other words, stretching and doing exercises may help, but might it be unrealistic (and unhealthy) to try to force our bodies into positions it cannot achieve?

• Upvote 1

Jon

I am not advocating trying to change that range of motion by stretching.  To me seems dangerous.

As I said,  I have seen quite a few golfers take advantage of their available range of motion there.  

For me I cant do that.  

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

ay help, but might it be unrealistic (and unhealthy) to try to force our bodies into positions it cannot achieve?

That's exactly my point.  

For me,  trying to get a what I would say is a decent position at top of swing with elbows causes me to be literally quivering with tension.  It won't ever happen in any swing if I can't even do it in slow motion.  Even quivering with tension I am still not able to get to where I would like it.  The only way it can come close is if I stand erect.  Just videod myself trying a few things in slow motion without even swinging.

10 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

It's been a HUGE source of frustration for me over a period of years.  I see many golfers with much higher handicaps and much lower even pro than me swing in a way that I would like to but their top of backswing coming down is like some yoga contortion for me.

JW,

You would be an excellent candidate for a swing analysis by Titleist Performance Insititute (TPI). 

I got evaluated in summer of 2011. The analysis team includes a PGA golf pro and a wellness professional (physical therapist, athletic trainer, or maybe a chiropractor).

The wellness rep will take 29 movement measurements related to your golf swing (i.e., hip flexion, shoulder turn and flexibility). Then the rep will compute your fitness HDCP, and give you a workout routine to strengthen/increase flexibility in different body parts. My analysis revealed a swing body severely out of balance: PGA-Tour caliber on nine motions, woefully substandard on another eight.

The PGA pro takes a look at your swing, and should focus more on motion ranges/limits than the average pro.

You are really into the detail movements of the swing. I think you would really enjoy TPI, and I sense you are dedicated enough to follow through on the training.

After a year in TPI, my golf pro moved 60 miles away and the chiropractor dropped out of the program. Also, the TPI exercises got so complex you almost needed a trainer/coach to show you how to do them. I still use some of the more basic exercises for my flexibility.

IF you don't want to go the TPI route, a fitness trainer that specializes in golfers could also help you.

Along with a physical analysis, you could help improve by opening a Member Swings thread here in TST. Don't know if you already do this.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

20 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

I am not advocating trying to change that range of motion by stretching.  To me seems dangerous.

As I said,  I have seen quite a few golfers take advantage of their available range of motion there.  

For me I cant do that.  

That's exactly my point.  

He advises against forcing it, you ease it into position until you get resistance. after time that resistance position will move back, increasing your range of motion.

• Administrator

You can turn your hips more and rotate your forearms more than you do now. Has little to do with this. Nobody's suggesting you be like Dufner.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!