IGNORED

Trimming Rifle shafts (old Royal P. model, before TT purchase)

Note: This thread is 2458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I was able to get my hands on 8 Precision rifle shafts from before the True Temper acquisition.

IMO these shafts feel much better than post TT rifle shafts or Project X rifle shafts.  I always used the same guy to install my clubs but he retired about 4 years ago and I have since moved to Maine and don't know a soul.  I found a local PGA pro around here who says he is willing to install the shafts for me.  They are pre-cut with the longest shaft being 41", not sure what the shortest is.

These are 5.0 shafts and I am wondering if any special "trimming" is required as is required with PX shafts or other Rifle shafts or can you just cut them to the length you want?

I have done some searching and cannot find a definitive answer, any in-site would be much appreciated!!!

Also does anyone else have any experience with using the older model Royal Precision shafts as compared to the newer Rifle shafts?  I've heard the PX shafts play much stiffer and each shaft weighs exactly the same whether it's a 3 iron or a PW.  As compared to older rifle shafts where each shaft has a different weight and different kick point.

Thanks gentleman!

You will have to determine whether the shafts have a tapered or parallel tip section.  Tapered tips terminate at .355, whereas a parallel tip is a constant .370 for several inches.  A tapered tip will fit, albeit somewhat loosely, in a parallel bore; but a parallel tip will not seat, properly, in a tapered bore.  There are some club heads with a "universal bore" that will accept either.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, rdubya59 said:

I'm pretty sure rifles are butt trim only

Could well be; but my oldest component catalog (2011) offers the rifle iron shaft in both tapered and parallel.  If parallel, there is an additional option vis-a-vis flex.  Either way, the tip has to match the bore.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

They are parallel .370 shafts going into .370 irons. 

Just now, msmalls22 said:

They are parallel .370 shafts going into .370 irons. 

Oh and they're 5.0 FCM which is what I had previously. 

I'd re-shaft one club, something in the middle like a 7 or 8, and see how it feels relative to the others.  That will also give you a hard number regarding the playing length; although you can get a general idea by lining up the new shafts with the current clubs and allowing for a bore depth of 1 and 1/8th.  Plus 3/16ths for the grip cap.

In der bag:

(edited)

These are the shafts I purchased, as you can see they are 3-PW with the 3i shaft being 41" long (plenty long for me)

I am putting these irons in a 4-AW set.

Rifle.jpg

3 minutes ago, msmalls22 said:

These are the shafts I purchased, as you can see they are 3-PW with the 3i shaft being 41" long (plenty long for me)

I am putting these irons in a 4-AW set.

Rifle.jpg

I guess my question would be can I just have my guy cut these to the length I prefer (rather than the "default" length from Callaway) and then have them installed.

Edited by msmalls22

Sorry to keep bumping this, basically what I am saying is cut the 3i to whatever length I want for my 4 iron shaft and then have it installed.  4i shaft would be going in the 5 iron, 5i shaft would be going in the 6, ect, ect.  Eventually ending with the 9i shaft going into my PW and the PW shaft going into my AW.  As long as the length is correct I should be good to go.  

When I had them installed last time I had a custom set made, the guy who did it was not a "rifle expert" as others have suggested in different forums.  He just found the length that worked for me, butt trimmed them since they are parallel .370 shafts going into .370 irons and installed them.  They felt beautiful and were the best irons I ever hit!!!!

I am obviously hoping to replicate that as close as I can!

(edited)
2 hours ago, parman said:

This might help. I use Rifle shafts in my wedges and irons. 

597b828476e27_RifleTrimmingchart1.thumb.jpg.fc97cf7f0c87cc84e92ff73003564d82.jpg

See attached images below, it would appear they are already tipped.  I know I have put this info in another topic but assuming they are already tipped properly (meaning the 3i labeled shaft has already had 1" removed) then wouldn't it be best to put all of the shafts in the proper iron (4i shaft in my 4 iron, 5i shaft in my 5 iron, ect, ect) and then take the 3i label shaft and tip trim it to go in my AW? According to this sheet a blank is tip trimmed by 7" for an AW, since the 3i should have already been tip trimmed by 1" if I tip trimmed it another 6" then it should be the proper tip for my AW?  If I only trim the 3i shaft I don't have to tip trim any of the others, just put them in the proper iron.  Hopefully this makes sense.  Just don't want to screw this up and waste a lot of money!

Rifle.png

trimmed.jpg

Edited by msmalls22

That trim chart is no help-- 42" Rifle blank chart for Taylormade rifles. Your Rifles are pretipped and frequencied for Butt cut to .total length.

2 minutes ago, pgone said:

That trim chart is no help-- 42" Rifle blank chart for Taylormade rifles. Your Rifles are pretipped and frequencied for Butt cut to .total length.

So what would be the best way to make these shafts fit into my irons? If I match each iron with the correct shaft according to the label then I would be left with my 3 Iron shaft and would need to trim that to fit my AW

(edited)
3 minutes ago, pgone said:

Your starting with a 4 iron in your set ?

Yes. 4-AW but the shafts I have are 3-PW. Trying to figure the easiest way to do this. I figure put 4-PW in the proper irons and trim the 3i shaft to fit my AW. 

Edited by msmalls22

4 minutes ago, pgone said:

Tip trim- 3 iron shaft 3 inches - abrade tip - cut to length at butt end..

Trim the tip of the 3i shaft 3 inches? That's it? What is abrade. Sorry I'm not actually doing the work. A friend who does this professionally is. But he isn't a rifle expert. If I tell him to trim 3 inches from the tip of the 3i shaft and then put it in my AW and cut the butt to length he will do that. What is abrade tip? Sorry if it's a dumb question....

53 minutes ago, pgone said:

Tip trim- 3 iron shaft 3 inches - abrade tip - cut to length at butt end..

And you're sure 3 inches is the proper amount to trim? Wouldn't it be best to match the 3i shaft almost like the PW shaft except 3/8-5/8" shorter? You're absolutely positive taking 3" off the tip and butt trimming to proper length is correct?

Note: This thread is 2458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!