IGNORED

Shaft Flex 101 for Dummies

Note: This thread is 2456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)
3 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

. THERE ARE NO OBJECTIVE STANDARDS REGARDING SHAFT FLEX! Got it?

100% get it

but that's why I'm curious as to what specs a person should be on the lookout for. 

For example I read that torque is generally between 2 to 7. But it seems that regular and stiff flex from the same manufacturer can be in the 6 range so that doesn't seem to matter. 

2 hours ago, scotth said:

Not sure how the link above really helps.  After answering questions it tells me I am a 3B3M and when I click the link that says choose the right shaft for you have several shafts presented.

I still have to pick a flex after selecting a shaft.  Am I missing something?  Guess I don't understand how the mpf thing is helping.

Yeah mine said 4B2M. Not sure where to go from there. 

Edited by TropicalSandTrap

What you really need to look for is a swing speed rated shaft.

They come in different forms you see are 75-85, 80-90, 85-95, and so on. 

The problem with letter flexes in manufacturers can make them whatever the hell they want. 

If you get a speed rated shaft, with the proper flex point.... Then you would see a definite difference.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Shindig said:

Click the link to the shafts and scroll down about 1/3 of the way and you'll see a table with that info.

....ah the light bulb moment.  That's the part I wasn't getting last night.  Thanks!

Makes much more sense now.

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

6 hours ago, TropicalSandTrap said:

Yeah mine said 4B2M. Not sure where to go from there. 

Take that rating with a grain of salt as well. I have no clue how they test that. Maybe they rate them on a 100 mph golf swing. You could have two people who swing 100 mph, and they might need to completely different golf shafts. Those type of ratings are more inline with averages versus actually getting fitted.

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

23 hours ago, saevel25 said:

THANK YOU FOR YELLING IT!!! :doh:

YOUR WELCOME! Uh, your welcome. It's just that I've seen this topic covered previously and people don't seem to get the message.

When you inquire about shaft flex, you are at the shaft manufacturers mercy! They are free to tell you anything they want, because the way their shafts flex, and what designation they put on it, is totally up to them! And there's no way you own any equipment that would allow you to dispute their claims.

Thus, their standards are totally subjective. This is unlike other standards like loft angle, lie angle, club length, and swingweight, which are hard measurables, and subject to objective standards.

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And there's no way you own any equipment that would allow you to dispute their claims.\

You could buy a frequency measuring machine ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

YOUR WELCOME! Uh, your welcome. It's just that I've seen this topic covered previously and people don't seem to get the message.

When you inquire about shaft flex, you are at the shaft manufacturers mercy! They are free to tell you anything they want, because the way their shafts flex, and what designation they put on it, is totally up to them! And there's no way you own any equipment that would allow you to dispute their claims.

Thus, their standards are totally subjective. This is unlike other standards like loft angle, lie angle, club length, and swingweight, which are hard measurables, and subject to objective standards.

I appreciate the feedback but am unsure where you are going with this. 

Do you feel that shaft makers are arbitrary with heir flex ratings?  Or do you feel like they overstate or understate the flex?  What do they gain by doing this?

or is your view moreso that flex stiffness in general is an overrated measurement and the shaft makers exaggerate the impact of flex to help sell shafts?

8 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

I'm no equipment guy,  but I have never hit a low kick point shaft well in any club.

Is it usually a consistent type of miss?  If so what was the miss?

Oh my ...too much crap going on in your head over this.  There was another thread on here with someone and reshafting wedges....also, too much crap going on in their head.

I used to over think this too and spend too much of my life on it.  After I was fit I was able to go back and look at what characteristics of my swing lead to what I was put into and then, if I wanted to try another shaft at least I could get something that was for my type of swing.

It's almost like I worked backwards.

Edited by Typhoon92

2 hours ago, TropicalSandTrap said:

Is it usually a consistent type of miss?  If so what was the miss?

They widen my dispersion.  Just for me,  I don't hit as many right online.  

Note: This thread is 2456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!