IGNORED

Determining Honor in Handicapped Match Play

amished
Note: This thread is 2430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This year is my first year playing in my course's handicapped match play tournament and who had honor was a question that had come up that I was not sure of the answer.

On hole three, he ended up winning the hole so he had honor for hole four.  On hole four I had to give him a stroke, we both tee off and I end up making par and he ends up making bogey, which turns into net par when playing against me according to my understanding of the rules.  He then thought that I should have the honor on hole five since I had the better natural score (par vs. bogey) and I thought that he should retain honor since the hole was halved due to handicap.

We ended up playing the way that I thought (he retains honor because of the halved hole) but we weren't sure.

His opinion, I believe, comes from our Men's League where it's both stroke and match play, where whomever has the better natural score goes first.  I thought that rules were different in pure match play so that's where our confusion came up.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You were right.  :beer:

Rule 10-1 applies.

The player (or side) that wins a hole has the honor on the next hole.  If a hole is halved, the honor remains the same as the prior hole.  Since you were playing a handicapped match, you decide each hole by net score.

Interestingly though.  In match play, if 2 players are unsure how to proceed under the rules, they can come to a decision between themselves and continue from there.  Which is exactly what you did. :-) 

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If you win the hole-Handicap included-You tee off first. Same as regular play. Apply the handicap strokes because that is how you determine who won the hole.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Same as regular play. 

Just to be clear, in STROKE play the low gross score has the honor on the next tee.  I know the original question was about match play, but I'm adding this so folks understand that a different criteria applies.

Edited by DaveP043
  • Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

16 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Just to be clear, in STROKE play the low gross score has the honor on the next tee.  I know the original question was about match play, but I'm adding this so folks understand that a different criteria applies.

For those interested, decision 10-2a/1 pertains.

In David's bag....

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

This has to be so because stroke play (except for stableford) does not recognise a net score for a hole. The net score only applies to the whole round.

In stableford the lowest net score takes the honour.

48 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

This has to be so because stroke play (except for stableford) does not recognise a net score for a hole. The net score only applies to the whole round.

Actually, the highest net score takes the honor... :-) 

In David's bag....

No. If you read 32-1b, you will that points are determined converted from scores. The player with the highest points takes the honour. The lowest score has the highest points

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rulesman said:

No. If you read 32-1b, you will that points are determined converted from scores. The player with the highest points takes the honour. The lowest score has the highest points

I didn't know that.  I'll remember it though.  I bet I can win a bar bet or two with it!

In David's bag....

On 8/22/2017 at 4:11 PM, Rulesman said:

True. The only time the hole by hole net score matters in stroke play events (or qualifying rounds) is under many "match of cards" methods.

Note: This thread is 2430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!