IGNORED

Anyone Buy the Mevo?

Note: This thread is 2579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, billchao said:

What about the GC2 makes you trust it the most? I remember they used to have it at a local store and it always had me hitting fades. I had a +12 path back then.

One, I think?

That's one reservation I have about the Mevo, this sticker business. I mean I've used dry erase to mark balls to see club face contact so I'm not averse to extra steps (heck, I actually bring a tripod to the range), but just wondering what deficiencies arise from needing a sticker. There's a question in the FAQ - can you use a metallic marker, answer was no, working on it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What about the GC2 makes you trust it the most? I remember they used to have it at a local store and it always had me hitting fades.

Mainly ball speed.

I had a +12 path back then.

What's a +12?

24 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That's one reservation I have about the Mevo, this sticker business. I mean I've used dry erase to mark balls to see club face contact so I'm not averse to extra steps (heck, I actually bring a tripod to the range), but just wondering what deficiencies arise from needing a sticker. There's a question in the FAQ - can you use a metallic marker, answer was no, working on it.

For a home setup, I'd think it wasn't an issue.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I thought, boy, probably gonna need a lot of stickers. They got it covered.

https://flightscope.com/product/metalic-stickers/

How many do you need to stick on a ball?

One.

And they're not required. I hit several balls without the metallic sticker indoors and the readings were still good.

37 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Mainly ball speed.

Huh?

37 minutes ago, Lihu said:

What's a +12?

The path… 12° to the right, @Lihu.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Well you also have to consider whether you'd actually need to use the stickers during your entire range session. If you're working on something, you're probably not swinging at full speed so you won't need your numbers on everything. As I understand it, the sticker is really to help the Mevo read spin so you're still getting the other numbers anyway.

41 minutes ago, iacas said:

And they're not required. I hit several balls without the metallic sticker indoors and the readings were still good.

I'm assuming at Golf Evolution? You have like 25' or 30' to the net, right? How does it read with only 8' to 10' of flight?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'm assuming at Golf Evolution? You have like 25' or 30' to the net, right? How does it read with only 8' to 10' of flight?

I haven't tested that yet.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/12/2017 at 6:00 PM, iacas said:

One.

They seemed to work fine without anything on the course, of course. 

So, I'm actually working with the radar sensor maker who makes the ones that Trackman uses for work related stuff, and from what I can see, for Doppler sensors the radar works quite well on balls. At least there's a lot of signal. So, I have no idea what the stickers are used for? Maybe spin?

Overall, the Mevo performed pretty well as compared to my rangefinder. . .but we had to kind of guess the amount of roll. My playing partner has really good eyes and is always able to see stuff we older players can't.

Huh?

Sorry, I meant GC2 seems to be very accurate measuring ball speed, even though SS is possibly calculated. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it seems to be pretty accurate.

The path… 12° to the right, @Lihu.

Ah, that makes sense. That's a huge push. Impressive to say the least.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Ah, that makes sense. That's a huge push. Impressive to say the least.

Could be a slice, a push, a pull-hook, a push-hook… all kinds of things.

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

So, I'm actually working with the radar sensor maker who makes the ones that Trackman uses for work related stuff, and from what I can see, for Doppler sensors the radar works quite well on balls. At least there's a lot of signal. So, I have no idea what the stickers are used for? Maybe spin?

Yes, the stickers are used to make tracking the spin more accurate.

57 minutes ago, iacas said:

Could be... all kinds of things.

It sure was.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, IrishAndy said:

I really want to try one of these, but need to limit my cash outlay right now.  Definitely has 'Christmas present' written all over it.

Yeah, Mevo seems pretty neat. Much better than the SS radar units you buy for $100 or so.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, Mevo seems pretty neat. Much better than the SS radar units you buy for $100 or so.

Agreed - the Mevo is the first one that's piqued my interest.  Would be an eye opener for those early morning weekend rounds when I get out on my own and have nobody breathing down my neck on the course.

Also for the driving range.  Our local is mown to about 220 and then goes into trees.  My drives are improving, because I've gone from landing ~220 and rolling into the forest, to now carrying into the body of the trees on better shots, but I honestly have no idea how far they go.  I'd love the additional feedback, even if plus or minus 10 yards on the estimation.

Note: This thread is 2579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!