IGNORED

Anyone still playing just three wedges? I'm seriously considering it.

Note: This thread is 2384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

My favorite club is my 8-iron. So Mike would you suggest I think like I'm hitting an 8-iron, when I hit my wedges? 

Another thing, I have trouble with the "narrow" stance thing... My stance isn't overly wide... But my feet are perhaps under my armpits when I hit my wedges, could that be causing my problems? 

I also thought this, but I put my feet almost against each other now. I started doing this before I took a break from golf, but forgot and started doing the armpit wide stance again, before being corrected by the head coach at my home course. Getting senile I guess :-P

Watch Erik's Quickie Pitching video again and see how he tries to brush the club head. That was the key for me and what the head coach told me to do.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/14/2017 at 9:56 PM, onthehunt526 said:

Here's my problem, my PW is 44°, I'm not going to go directly to some sort of SW (56°). My thought was 44-48-54 (the wedges that match my iron set AW and SW). Currently I play EXi PW (44°) and AW (48°), and the CB Pro S 52°/12°, 56°/14° wedges. 

Mmmm, have we scrapped Sweet Sixteen?

Whether or not, I'll answer original question. Last fall I decided to go to three wedges: 48°, 54° and 60°. Got recent Calla MDs shown in my sig line.

Baseline specs for Calla X20 Tour:  9i = 41°, PW = 46. Other old wedges were Cleveland CG14, usually 50°, 54°, 58°.

For a couple of seasons, I noticed in a round of golf I would use primarily the X20T 46° or the CG14 50°, but rarely both. Also, four wedges ended up being a hassle to practice, plus I ended up with yardage overlap in several cells in my (modified) Pelz yardage table.

So, after a summer of testing wedges, I ended up with 48°, 54° and 60°. By varying backswing lengths and relying on feel-based hinge-and-hold shots inside 20 yards, I've got things under better control.

Only problem, I have about a 20 yard gap between 9i and 48°; I can bridge this by choking down on 9i or playing 48° back to deloft the club. In yesterday's scramble, I landed delofted 48° shots to 2 feet and 8 feet to set up team birdies.

In your situation - you hit full wedges well - I would suggest you listen to @mvmac: probably you're having technical problems for short wedges.  

2 hours ago, allenc said:

.... A trend I notice is that better players tend to have more spaced out wedges.  That makes sense because they can hit the ball better and longer so there may be several useful yardages at the long end of the bag they want to have clubs for.  They are also probably good at partial wedge shots.

I think mediocre players may want more wedges ...,

A mini-tour player who practices at our club says length with driver is a critical factor in number of wedges. He suggests that long hitters want 4 wedges because they're inside 150 yds. more often, and want more close-in options. Meanwhile more average hitters (he includes himself) carry 3 because they want an extra club in the 210-yard range.

Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

4 hours ago, Shindig said:

I think the general view of additional wedges isn't for the full shot, it's to have better gaps in the partial shots.  For example, if I dropped my gap wedge and carried only my 47 and 56, I'd have trouble from 45 yards out in a clean lie:  a half swing with the 56 gets me 35, a half swing with the 47 gets me 55.  

My additional wedges are solely to address distance gaps with full shots. PW flies 125, I needed a GW to fly 112, because my 50 was 105. I`ve removed the 50,55,60 and added GW, 52 (100 yards), 58 (85 max). 0-40 yards I will pick the club for the flight I want (most likely 58 or 52) after that I am probably hitting my 58 degree for anything up to 80 yards unless there´s a tree or I want to land one on the front of the green and roll it out. 85 - 105 is the 52.

7 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

My favorite club is my 8-iron. So Mike would you suggest I think like I'm hitting an 8-iron, when I hit my wedges?

Yes and for shorter shots (or in between yardages) use the flighted feels I shared.

7 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Another thing, I have trouble with the "narrow" stance thing... My stance isn't overly wide... But my feet are perhaps under my armpits when I hit my wedges, could that be causing my problems? 

It's worth experimenting with but stance width probably won't make a dramatic change. It's most likely something else that is effecting impact.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I came across something in my practice session. Instead of changing two or three ( or Four) things. I tried changing one. I lightened my grip pressure to a feeling of holding Alina's hand. (She is my almost four year old.) I started with some quarter swing shots with my 58° wedge. It felt as I barely needed to swing the club back. Boom 40-45 yards every time. 

I proceed to hit seven or eight shots with a "half swing" or to about 9:00 or so. Same easy swing, same light grip pressure. 60 to 65 yards consistent every time. 

Now was the real challenge for me. 10:00 swings. So the only thing different, lighter grip pressure. Same easy swing. 75 to 80 yards for all six shots.

I decided I'd go back to 90 yards to see if I could at least hit 4 of 5 on the green. Actually I hit the first two right Of the Stick but on the green. The middle one was a smidge long. The fourth was two yards short of the flag. The final one was right on for distance about 12 feet to the left of the hole. 

I'm not sure what the issue is. But I may be on the right track. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 15/09/2017 at 12:56 PM, onthehunt526 said:

After struggling all year with more lofted wedges, I am seriously considering going to a three wedge system.

Does anyone still play this system?

Here's my problem, my PW is 44°, I'm not going to go directly to some sort of SW (56°). My thought was 44-48-54 (the wedges that match my iron set AW and SW). Currently I play EXi PW (44°) and AW (48°), and the CB Pro S 52°/12°, 56°/14° wedges. 

Note: I don't need to go out and buy any wedges to replace anything, unless you guys think I need a 50° second wedge in which case, I'd have to buy that.

that can work, but I would recommend (44, 48, 52, 58). or space out your wedges more, (44, 49, 54) or (44, 50, 55).

Depending on the course I am playing, shorter courses i remove longer club (hybrid, fairway wood, long iron) for wedge (46, 50, 54, 58) or longer courses trade wedge for hybrid or fairway wood and use (46, 52, 56)

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Note: This thread is 2384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!