IGNORED

Fitting question

Note: This thread is 2401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey I'm new so if this has been asked just point me to the thread. I played ping white dots forever, and played them very well, until a friend said the white dots were too long. I recently bought a set of TM tour burners graphite shaft. Same length. What I want to know is there a way to measure or check myself to see if they're too long. Like set up to swing, and leave the club against something and check to make sure face is laying correct? If not and I go to have a fitter check them for me, and they need adjustment, can I have them fit and keep the shafts on them now, cuz I love these shafts.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, 3puttmaster said:

Hey I'm new so if this has been asked just point me to the thread. I played ping white dots forever, and played them very well, until a friend said the white dots were too long. I recently bought a set of TM tour burners graphite shaft. Same length. What I want to know is there a way to measure or check myself to see if they're too long. Like set up to swing, and leave the club against something and check to make sure face is laying correct? If not and I go to have a fitter check them for me, and they need adjustment, can I have them fit and keep the shafts on them now, cuz I love these shafts.

It depends on the club and the golfer.

A club should be fitted based on impact conditions. Those conditions are not the same as set up. Example, the club will actually droop a bit compared to set up. The golfer's body doesn't return to the set up position at impact. The body isn't square to the target line (if the golfer sets up square). The hands are not in the same spot. They can add or subtract lie angle (higher hands or lower hands, also moving the hands closer or away from the golf ball).

The Ping chart is specifically for Ping golf clubs and how Ping designs their clubs to react to the golf swing. Also, the chart is more of a starting point.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Oh yeah that makes sense better to just see a fitter. They feel the right length so hopefully the only change needed would be the lie. If something length wise needed changing u reckon I could use my same shafts or would I have to change? I love the shafts I have

1 hour ago, 3puttmaster said:

If something length wise needed changing u reckon I could use my same shafts

Yes, they can exchanged with various manufactured club heads.
If you feel they are too long, try choking the club at various points before you modify or trim the length.
I suggest you play them for a period of time before making any modifications to be sure.

Also note, club heads vary and shafts will react differently when changed or modified.
Things to consider are: do you like the ball flight, spin, distance obtained and feel?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

12 hours ago, 3puttmaster said:

I played ping white dots forever, and played them very well, until a friend said the white dots were too long.

Note: White dot describes the lie angle of the iron. It doesn't address club length.

• Informative 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

3 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Note: White dot describes the lie angle of the iron. It doesn't address club length.

It does take into account length. The white dot projects to a +1/4" to +1.5" club length. I believe the concept is to stay inside the diagonal band as you look at your wrist height to floor and overall height.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, WUTiger said:

Really? Well I feel dumb, I have always thought that the dot system was for the shaft length

A fitter will have u hit off a lie board to get the lie correct after he determines if the shaft length is correct.

For me, I measure for what should be 2 degrees flat when u look at address but at impact I'm one degree upright on the lie board so that's what I have.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3puttmaster said:

Really? Well I feel dumb, I have always thought that the dot system was for the shaft length

Don't feel bad I underexplained. As @saevel25 said, the Ping dot system looks at both lie angle and shaft length.

@Typhoon92, good point on what's called toe down. I got a dynamic lie check after I went from PX 5.0 to 17-gram lighter NS Pro 8950s. In my longer irons, I needed 1* upright because the lighter shaft was bowing downward more.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I just went to a Titleist Thursday for a free iron fitting. They used impact stickers on the face as I tried different length shafts to see which gave me the most center hits.  So with your too long clubs maybe you could grip down to different points and try the same thing to see what length you hit best.

I'm not sure I'm really convinced though.  Why should I have trouble hitting a 7 iron 1/2" short but not have trouble hitting an 8 iron?  If you change your lengths by 1/2" to 1" you will still be hitting irons from 36" to 38" and beyond.  They will just have different numbers on them.

53 minutes ago, allenc said:

I just went to a Titleist Thursday for a free iron fitting. They used impact stickers on the face as I tried different length shafts to see which gave me the most center hits.  So with your too long clubs maybe you could grip down to different points and try the same thing to see what length you hit best.

I'm not sure I'm really convinced though.  Why should I have trouble hitting a 7 iron 1/2" short but not have trouble hitting an 8 iron?  If you change your lengths by 1/2" to 1" you will still be hitting irons from 36" to 38" and beyond.  They will just have different numbers on them.

Interesting post! Kind of makes you wonder why yardages aren't stamped on the sole instead of iron numbers!

1 hour ago, allenc said:

Not a bad idea. I have some impact stickers on their way in the mail, when they get here I'll try that out, thanks!

Note: This thread is 2401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!