IGNORED

Bought a few "new" clubs today.

Buckeyebowman
Note: This thread is 2365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dropped off some old golf shorts and shirts at a local Goodwill store today, My waist size is now 32", and the 34's and 36's were falling off of me! I kept some of the nicer 34's just in case!

After the drop off I went into the store to see if there were any golf clubs worth looking at. The selection was pretty sparse, but I did find a Taylor Made R580XD and an original Callaway ERC II! The ERC II even has a stamping on the heel of the club that states, "Non-conforming to USGA rules".

This was the club that made for the big kerfuffle, and lawsuit, between Callaway and the USGA. I bought them both and will go try them out. Considering modern golf technology, I'm not expecting much. But, if I can't hit them, I'll pass them on. Maybe the next guy can. At 2 bucks a club, how could I go wrong?!

Dang! I hit the J instead of the H in the title!

Edited by Buckeyebowman
  • Like 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• RandallT changed the title to Bought a few "new" clubs today.
9 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Dang! I hit the J instead of the H in the title!

All set.

Good luck with the clubs, both conforming and non-conforming!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

If the 580 XD is like the 540Xd, you'll dig it. I was experimenting with different degree drivers and nabbing all sorts of them off Ebay dirt cheap. Even at its age, the 540 is still a nice club, I'm sure the 580 is as well.

Yay Buckeye! for the finds AND the drop in waist size! I'm envious of both. Keep us posted on how you hit these clubs? Thanks, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Took them out to the range and suffered for it, since it got about 90 degrees here! Is this Fall? Actually had to go sit in the shade and drink some water about half way through.

Actually got both clubs pretty well straightened out, and hit them for decent distance and direction. Both shafts are labeled R, but felt completely different, the TM shaft feeling much softer. Thus the ongoing shaft nonsense! The Callaway produced a nice, high pitched "crack" when I hit the ball as opposed to the low "thunk" of the TM. The sound of the ball leaving the face didn't seem to have any impact on how the ball flew.

I also brought along my current Driver, a Cobra King F6m adjusted to 12 degrees loft. The TM was the "standard" 9.5*, and the Callaway was 11*. I could get more air under my drives, and more carry, with the Cobra than the other two. It was not a huge difference, but there was a difference!

Interesting

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Both shafts are labeled R, but felt completely different, the TM shaft feeling much softer.

Interesting! What shaft is in your Cobra? A friend who worked for Nike gave me a Nike Vapor Fly Pro with two shafts; I installed the Tinsei CK 50, Regular, set to 12*/neutral. I usually use my good old Callaway 11* with a Project X Senior shaft, because I couldn't hit the Nike to save my grits...until today. It was my only choice to use and I started nailing it easily 20 yards longer. Shafts make a difference. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

The shaft in my Cobra is the Ozik MFS Q4 mid launch in R flex, Boy, is that a mouthful!

Oh, I know shafts make a difference. The "nonsense" I was referring to is the fact that there is no objective standard for measuring shaft characteristics other than weight. The flex is what the manufacturer says it is!

And I don't know that an objective standard would make that much of a difference. Shafts are all about "feel". Different kick points and tip firmness can make big difference in feel and performance, even though the overall "flex" might be considered the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And I don't know that an objective standard would make that much of a difference. Shafts are all about "feel". Different kick points and tip firmness can make big difference in feel and performance, even though the overall "flex" might be considered the same.

I really had not thought in those terms. I had just come to the conclusion that probably no one could come up with a "standard" anyway.    -Marv

On 9/24/2017 at 9:38 PM, MarvChamp said:

I really had not thought in those terms. I had just come to the conclusion that probably no one could come up with a "standard" anyway.    -Marv

Well, someone tried. A gifted club designer and fitter named Tom Wishon. He made an attempt to standardize things, and he was beaten into the ground by the shaft companies. They wouldn't talk to him. Wouldn't tell him anything about their processes, procedures, or standards. Totally stonewalled! So, we are left hoping for a gifted fitter.

Note: This thread is 2365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!