IGNORED

NHL 2017-2018

Themightyoz
Note: This thread is 2143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

A team close to the cap floor?

What I'm saying is, a salary dump costs assets. Would you be willing to part with several picks (including this year's first) or a high level prospect (Yamamoto) to make this happen? Chances are you'd also end up taking on someone else's albatross, too.

6 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

And seeing what a lot of players didn’t get in return for their clubs was less than inspiring.

I thought the market price was fairly steep, actually. Lots of first round picks got tossed around this year. Three picks for Tatar? Kane's return underwhelmed, but I read that was the only offer Buffalo got, which doesn't surprise me given his history.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It always makes me a bit uneasy when the Habs trade with either Boston or Toronto, but I think the Plekanec trade was reasonable. They got some value for a 35-year-old soon to be UFA and are giving Tomas a chance to play for a playoff team. 

3 hours ago, billchao said:

What I'm saying is, a salary dump costs assets. Would you be willing to part with several picks (including this year's first) or a high level prospect (Yamamoto) to make this happen? Chances are you'd also end up taking on someone else's albatross, too.

If I were the GM, I’d say this years first would be off limits.  But aside from that, yes, absolutely I’d be willing to throw Yamamoto into the mix.  Next years first would be on the table as well.   As for taking back an albatross, I’d be willing to do it depending on term.  Lucic has five years left on his deal, which would be a huge burden if bought out for nearly a decade.   If it was for a player with say two or three years left it would be the cost of doing business.  

Corey

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

If I were the GM, I’d say this years first would be off limits.  But aside from that, yes, absolutely I’d be willing to throw Yamamoto into the mix.  Next years first would be on the table as well.   As for taking back an albatross, I’d be willing to do it depending on term.  Lucic has five years left on his deal, which would be a huge burden if bought out for nearly a decade.   If it was for a player with say two or three years left it would be the cost of doing business.  

Your GM is one of the few in the league that I sometimes think a regular hockey fan could easily better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Your GM is one of the few in the league that I sometimes think a regular hockey fan could easily better.

No argument here.  Oilers fans (myself included) were glad when Chiarelli was signed.  Our previous GM was Craig MacTavish.  Nice enough guy, but was also the last pro player not to wear a helmet.  

One guy I know is a huge Boston fan, and he pretty much warned me we’d be in cap hell inside of five years.   It only took three.  

Corey

23 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Chiarelli is pretty high on Lucic, though. So much so that he felt Taylor Hall was expendable in order to upgrade the defense, knowing he was going to make a run at Lucic.

I'd bet there are plenty of teams willing to take on Lucic, who is still a serviceable 2nd or 3rd line guy, if you're willing to part with next year's first and Yamamoto. You'd end up with a hole at LW, though.

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

A little OT, but this comment reminded me of Dave Nonis vs a Potato:-D

3 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

No argument here.  Oilers fans (myself included) were glad when Chiarelli was signed.  Our previous GM was Craig MacTavish.  Nice enough guy, but was also the last pro player not to wear a helmet.  

One guy I know is a huge Boston fan, and he pretty much warned me we’d be in cap hell inside of five years.   It only took three.  

Aren't the Oilers one of the teams with the most available cap space currently? I know McDavid's contract kicks in next year, but with Draisaitl already signed, who else is due for a significant raise? Darnell Nurse? I don't think Ryan Strome is going to get a huge raise and I didn't see any other significant RFAs on the list.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

Chiarelli is pretty high on Lucic, though. So much so that he felt Taylor Hall was expendable in order to upgrade the defense, knowing he was going to make a run at Lucic.

I'd bet there are plenty of teams willing to take on Lucic, who is still a serviceable 2nd or 3rd line guy, if you're willing to part with next year's first and Yamamoto. You'd end up with a hole at LW, though.

A little OT, but this comment reminded me of Dave Nonis vs a Potato:-D

Aren't the Oilers one of the teams with the most available cap space currently? I know McDavid's contract kicks in next year, but with Draisaitl already signed, who else is due for a significant raise? Darnell Nurse? I don't think Ryan Strome is going to get a huge raise and I didn't see any other significant RFAs on the list.

Currently the Oilers have space under the cap, you’re correct there.  If the current roster stays the same for next season, they’re sitting ( forgive me if I’m not 100%) at around 73 million.   If you add in a few rookie bonuses that doesn’t leave a lot of wiggle room.  

And yes, @billchao, ditching Lucic with Yamamoto would leave the left side pretty weak.   But the right side isn’t that bright either.  Edmonton could learn a ton watching how Pittsburgh drafted their wingers to supplement Crosby and Malkin.

I’m still hoping Ryan Nugent-Hopkins gets some time at LW with McDavid.  Literally everything else has been tried with the current roster.   

Corey

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

• Administrator

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Flip a coin to see if any of the goaltender interference calls stand.   I can understand them calling the goal back, but adding a penalty seems like a dick move.  

Corey

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Flip a coin to see if any of the goaltender interference calls stand.   I can understand them calling the goal back, but adding a penalty seems like a dick move.  

I can’t understand either. He was pushed by the defender and still barely touched the goalie.

I’ve found goaltender interference calls to be more based on the attitudes of the refs than the  calls themselves.   What gets called non interference in one game is not consistent at all.  Sure, the war room in NHL HQ has a lot of say, but I like to blame the refs.  

Corey

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

• 3 weeks later...

I’m jealous of all you guys who have teams going to the playoffs.  

Oiler fans were great tonight sending the Sedins off to retirement.  

Corey

8 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

I’m jealous of all you guys who have teams going to the playoffs.  

Just think. If this were English soccer, our teams would be playing in the AHL next year.

This sucks. 

2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Just think. If this were English soccer, our teams would be playing in the AHL next year.

This sucks. 

Not surprising, since about a quarter of Edmonton’s team should be there already.  

Corey

Note: This thread is 2143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!