IGNORED

Chipping Techniques benefits & trade offs

Moxley
Note: This thread is 2360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see a few different ways on how to chip that are very different. While some will have a preferred method for most choice , there is obviously there is a situational side to this, with some shots suited to different situations. 

The 3 methods I see instructed the most are probably :

Chip as you putt (as per mvmac's video) - very shallow AOA, like putting stroke to let the ball hop a short distance before running on.  Uses bounce.

Leaning forward approach - steeper AOA , hit down on the ball, pop it up in the air. Exposes leading edge. 

Mickleson hinge and hold. Not sure I can explain this well, but the basics seem to be a forward ball position, wrist break, face kept open after contact. 

I'm wondering if some of those who understand the dynamics of these approaches better can describe the various pros/cons of each approach.  I tend to use the first two approaches , favouring the first method when on fringe or a good lie on 1st cut. Last one I find too unreliable but will occasionally try it if I need to get ball up and down quickly.

I see a few different ways on how to chip that are very different. While some will have a preferred method for most choice , there is obviously there is a situational side to this, with some shots suited to different situations. 

Chip as you putt (as per mvmac's video) - very shallow AOA, like putting stroke to let the ball hop a short distance before running on.  Uses bounce.

Leaning forward approach - steeper AOA , hit down on the ball, pop it up in the air. Exposes leading edge. 

Mickleson hinge and hold. Not sure I can explain this well, but the basics seem to be a forward ball position, wrist break, face kept open after contact. 

I'm wondering if some of those who understand the dynamics of these approaches better can describe the various pros/cons of each approach.  I tend to use the first two approaches , favouring the first method when on fringe or a good lie on 1st cut. Last one I find too unreliable but will occasionally try it if I need to get ball up and down quickly.

The way I chip is, I put the ball middle of my stance or slightly forward. Middle of my stance is the furthest back I will go. My hands are slightly forward just because of ball position. I try to just make a good pivot motion and not use the wrists.

I am of the opinion that a chip doesn't use the bounce. With the face being square and the hands slightly forward you have little to no bounce being engaged.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is hard to pick just one as you will see all sorts of odd lies when chipping. High grass, tough rough , tight lies, wet fairway... you really should try to be good at all of them.

Sometimes just a nice chip with some roll out works, sometimes you need to flop and stop, sometimes you need it to check or roll back.

Best to practice all of them if you have a good short game area to practice on.  Funny thing about golf is you never know what shot you will need next and you might not see the same chips twice on 18 holes.  I pretty much use my 51* for all of these shots as I am very comfy with that wedge.

Hope this helps! :beer:

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

@Vinny Cap...ditto...In my chipping practice, I also have more or less identified three different approaches and actually was thinking of making a video of it.  I won't bore you with it here, but might add it to my You Tube Channel, more for the purpose of learning how to create better videos than anything else. I have book marked a URL that will enable me to download Microsoft Movie Maker that was discontinued in January..  In any event,three of my methods are:

1. Body Rotate through with forward shaft lean.

2. Hinge and Hold/transport the angle (Phil Mickelson)

3. Paint Brush/Buggy Whip  stroke (Stan Utley)

There are a couple of other nuances for specialty shots Soft Flop, putting stroke, bump and roll,. e.t.c.

• Like 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

@Vinny Cap...ditto...In my chipping practice, I also have more or less identified three different approaches and actually was thinking of making a video of it.  I won't bore you with it here, but might add it to my You Tube Channel, more for the purpose of learning how to create better videos than anything else. I have book marked a URL that will enable me to download Microsoft Movie Maker that was discontinued in January..  In any event,three of my methods are:

1. Body Rotate through with forward shaft lean.

2. Hinge and Hold/transport the angle (Phil Mickelson)

3. Paint Brush/Buggy Whip  stroke (Stan Utley)

There are a couple of other nuances for specialty shots Soft Flop, putting stroke, bump and roll,. e.t.c.

Good post!  if you have a link to your channel PM it over, I will check it out.

I miss Movie Maker, easy to use and FREE!  Pinnacle Studio rocks but it is not cheap.  Setup a dedicated video box with Win XP and you will have all the good old software back.  Just don't connect to the internet.  Transfer files with SD cards... that's what  do sometimes.

Well back to chipping.... how many people practice hitting on the side of a bunker?  Ball about waist high, high rough?  Baseball swing needed to get it out.  I had one recently, it was a tough shot but I got it out an almost on the green.  How bout one that stops on the top of a bunker?  I had to stand one foot behind the other like walking a tightrope.... who practices them?

So if you have a good practice area, throw balls everywhere and hit that odd, strange, weird shot over and over.... it will help you out in the long run!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

My chipping, and putting strokes are identical. I even use the same grip, and stsnce. Been doing this for decades after I read a book by Paul Runyon. He has videos on YouTube showing this. 

Some of my  benefits using Runyon's info are very few, if any fat shots, and while practicing one stroke/shot, I am also practicing the other. Using one stroke in stead of two different stroke is just less to think about. A time saver. 

When chipping, or putting, I still have to read the greens to find my line. Using the same stroke works well with those reads. 

The only change is in the chipping, due to using different landing spots, while using different clubs. I also will choke down on some longer clubs to keep the stroke the same. 

I record quite a few one putts using Runyon's info. I also get quite a few chips that go in.

About 8+ months ago, I tried this method on shorter pitch shots. No final verdict yet, but results have been promising. 

Folks using this system, when chipping, will find that when at the address/set up position, that heel of the iron will be off the ground, and higher than the toe of the iron. The ball is contacted more towards the toe of the club. I believe this is why there are fewer fat shots.  

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

4 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

Good post!  if you have a link to your channel PM it over, I will check it out.

I miss Movie Maker, easy to use and FREE!  Pinnacle Studio rocks but it is not cheap.  Setup a dedicated video box with Win XP and you will have all the good old software back.  Just don't connect to the internet.  Transfer files with SD cards... that's what  do sometimes.

I have not made a chipping video yet. I have a few videos on my channel, but I believe I have posted a couple of them on this forum under   Hacker James back yard practice (and acroutrements).  If you want Movie Maker, you can still d/l it from a 3rd party site and you get the authentic Microsoft Essentials scripts. I also posted a link in another thread. If you still want the link to my channel, let me know, but it is a work in progress.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

On 10/31/2017 at 7:25 AM, Moxley said:

I had posted a short video on another thread on this. It's mediocre, but gives a little representation of each. The one I use most often is turn away and back. everything done in a golf swing is mostly done on an arc, for me the most important thing is to present a square face at impact, not come in too steeply, keeping a flat lead wrist. Some make the mistake of coming too excessively steep. A good exercise is to swing without a club, keeping hands together up until impact position and then release left arm and "point" at your target and/or landing zone.

"James"

I like the Pelz method which seems similar to Stockton. Ball position off trail outside ankle, turn feet in slighty, and just turn slightly back and through dropping club onto the ball. 

I almost never do a real chip.  I have a pitch that I'm good at, and I use that.  When I have a short distance, I do something like in between the putter chip and my pitch.  Basically set up like my normal pitch, ball middle of the stance, but hands forward just a bit and then hold the wrists, not 100%, but pretty stiff, not at all like the float load and paint brush feel I learned here and really like for the pitch.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 2360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!