IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge November 2017

iacas
Note: This thread is 2332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 hours ago, Lihu said:

Working on this and somehow I got talked into playing the tips today which we estimated between 7800 and 8000 yards of playing. Not the gold tees, but the very back of the holes. The 18th hole was so dark, though, that we played those from the blue 25 yards up. I was in places I never ventured before, and heard werewolves howling behind the trees. :ninja:

Played horribly today, and some of it was due to fatigue from driving too many balls yesterday with X100, X200 and X300 (47") shafts. My fingers joints are also sore. My core muscles are really sore. couldn't really get any kind of speed with my irons and anything that touched the ground. I also sliced and hooked many shots.

I kind of admit that my putting was kind of bad, but I blame my tiredness and sore muscles on that. 41 putts on nice clean and fast putting surfaces? Ouch, I'm worse than I thought at putting.

Practicing my full swing in a mirror and looking at my shaft positions at different point in my swing.  This is going to take some time to get "right", I can see where they are off in a mirror, but when I walk in "cold" and take a swing, my shaft positions are anything but facing the target line at critical positions.

Continuing work on my putting stroke. Will hit the putting green to practice that. I only bladed 1 chip yesterday, so I'll practice that at the range today.

Also, Game Golf verified that we only played 7235 yard yesterday, but it seems like the tee positions were clipped off on some holes. We were clearly behind the SCGA gold markers though? Not as studly as previously thought :-P

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I spent about 10 minutes with the t stroke and the sam tonight. If I used the Mi putting template as well my scores were very good. Without the template, my numbers are better but have room for improvement still. Especially on the consistency side. Need to work on those things more. 

11/15/17:

Slow swings in the yard with a six-iron. Mostly was the focus was low and slow takeaway. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Chipping clinic. Practiced flop shot to get out of bunkers. Well, I was totally wrong about bunker shots as well. Now it's a simple and effortless flop shot for me. I am using bounce and got 8 out of 8 out of a deep bunker in the practice area.

Practiced a lot of trajectory with chips and pitch shots.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Was stuck inside today so I practiced this putting Drill where I open my hands and putt with the club between my two open hands, trying to get the feel off the arms moving together. So now I gotta go golf and see how amazing my putting will be now.

11/15

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

More mirror work this morning. Keeping shaft on target line at A2 then bringing it up. Also trying out the "throwing" feeling as I come down through impact with the club simulator. The velocity seems to be maximized after the "fake ball position". Not sure of this is a problem now? Need to test on the range.

The complete picture is: 1) keeping the wrist set up to the top; 2) relax everything at the top; 3) start the transition move down; 4) as I come through impact start the "throwing motion feel" rather than just letting "gravity" push through impact.

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Still working on the same stuff from my last My Swing video. 

Hitting a 7 iron off a mat a little bit longer than in the videos. About the same speed though. "Squat turn" coming along very well at slow speeds.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Today I was reading the fast arms speedboat video thread and this is something that I am trying to work on. One thing that seems to work for me is trying to keep my left arm off my chest. Consequently I have been spending time today trying to get that feeling of the left arm keeping away from my chest on my backswing and then staying off it on the downswing. I will also spend a few minutes later putting and chipping in the basement (again).

Feels so good, being outside walking 9 after work. Focused on good contact, thru working for no sixes. Made it to the par 5 eighth with a 6. Ugh.. but still a pleasant 90 minutes.

aloha 11/16

11/16/17:

Hit some shots with short irons and wedges this morning. Also hit a few middle irons my one long iron and hybrids today. Main focus was getting shot zones kind of down. (It was 44° so I didn't read too much into the 185-yard 4-irons I was hitting)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

19 hours ago, Lihu said:

More mirror work this morning. Keeping shaft on target line at A2 then bringing it up. Also trying out the "throwing" feeling as I come down through impact with the club simulator. The velocity seems to be maximized after the "fake ball position". Not sure of this is a problem now? Need to test on the range.

Seemed okay. I hit shorter with my irons, but that might just be fatigue.

Going to practice 5 minutes a day for the next week and short game/putting. Starting to like short game now, because I can see much more repeatability finally.

19 hours ago, Lihu said:

The complete picture is: 1) keeping the wrist set up to the top; 2) relax everything at the top; 3) start the transition move down; 4) as I come through impact start the "throwing motion feel" rather than just letting "gravity" push through impact.

The "throwing concept" is why I was able to hit farther now, but fatigue is setting in which is why I was losing trajectory with my irons this last few days. I don't actually have to do anything special, just rest to let my muscles heal.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Chipping and putting again in the basement tonight. Sam numbers are definitely better with the forearm adjustment. I need to get used to it so it feels natural to get it down pat though. 

Seeing the thread below I took my 3 metal behind the home and worked on tempo, and....here’s the challenge, making good contact, not over, not under. Started slow but after a few strokes, it started to come together, meaning anyone can hit the ball if given enough opportunity.

11/17/17:

Putted in the living room for a bit... Nothing special, just worked on my stroke.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Practicing my short game stroke. Going out to practice short game and bunker shots. Starting to practice my re-learned flop shots.

Altering the flight with setup in the pitch shots on uphill and downhill lies. Working on not digging on uphill lies and thinning on downhill. Keeping the spine perpendicular to the hill.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

Practicing my short game stroke. Going out to practice short game and bunker shots. Starting to practice my re-learned flop shots.

Altering the flight with setup in the pitch shots on uphill and downhill lies. Working on not digging on uphill lies and thinning on downhill. Keeping the spine perpendicular to the hill.

First time really focusing on short game for over 2 hours this morning. I didn't really start learning stuff until after the first hour.

Well, I hit the equivalent of 3 large buckets from chip shots to 100 yard half swing PW type shots. Finally getting the hang of relaxing my arms through the swing on these types of shots and getting much cleaner contact. Holed in 3 shots from 30 yards with my LW which is about the limit of that club for nice easy chip/pitches. Hitting my 6i cleaner with chip shots and the ball is totally controlled. I used the 6i to "return" my balls to my bag without leaving any marks on the chipping landing area otherwise known as a "fake green". Hit my bag or the bucket I had sitting next to my bag about 25% of the time from 30-40 yards. I can see using a low controlled shot like that for punching out from under trees or bushes near the green. Until I tried it today, I would never have though the flight from the 6i could be so low. I even got to demonstrate a "shot" my partner was describing to me and the ball ended up 3-4 feet from the pin 2 times out of 6. Of course, these aren't real greens, but the shot would have been the same only less of it.

Bunker shots were only about 75% successful out of thick wet and soft sand, and hit my landing zone target only 2 times. I did much better out of dry fluffy sand. After hitting a few dozen shots from the wet fluffy sand, I chipped my LW about 40 yards. Sand was like resistance training, and fairway grass was totally effortless.

I won the closest to the tree trunk from 100 yards hitting a half PW. Half shoulder turn, I have no idea what my arm was doing but my partner told me the shaft was vertical at the "top" of the swing. 10 shots got me a dispersion of about 20 yards from first cut, but that was after I dialed it in and found the right stance for my feet. I hit the trunk once, and the roots a couple times.

I'm finally starting to enjoy short game practice now, and it's not so hit and miss any more. I could definitely switch between this and long game on alternating practice days.

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

While I haven’t given up hope of getting on the course today, this morning I set up four tee’s  right, left, behind and under the ball, and practiced with my 8 iron. Amazed how off center I can be at times, and I’m trying to rid myself of fat shots. 

Aloha 11/18

11/18/17:

Been at work most of the day. But did manage some slow turning drills, in between doing prep and dishes. (The boss gave me a break from cooking today, because we have 3 cooks on).

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 2332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!