IGNORED

Scottsdale Suggestions New Year Hacker

golferjane
Note: This thread is 2333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I plan to head to Scottsdale over New Year, first week of January.  I am a female golfer moving from a high handicapper golfer to a mid level golfer.  We would like to spend the week playing, having lessons or participating in a clinic and basically focussing on improving golf.   Don't want to spend a fortune unnecessarily or be just one of a big group with different objectives but I do want to enjoy the week. Haven't been to AZ before so not sure how to make the decision on a) area to stay b) accommodation c) golf pros or lessons d) golf club e)anything!!

Any input from this group of experts would be welcome, thank you!

For starters, maybe consider surrounding areas rather than Scottsdale. While the area is very beautiful, it also is in the high rent districtand everything will be more expensive.

Phoenix is a golf mecca and caters to many levels of golfer price range.
There are many great muni courses along with many very nice golf resorts.
Many resorts have great golf packages, prices are definitely lower during offseason. January is peak season, prices will be very high at all courses.
It is also difficult to get on many courses during January unless one makes advanced arrangements.

Take a look a The Wigmam resort, it is a very old course on the west side of Phoenix.
Possibly check the internet for golf packages or consult a travel agent.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@golferjane I would suggest searching through the previous posts on this site.  A lot of people have posted about a lot of really nice courses in the Phoenix area (which of course includes Scottsdale).

Beyond golf itself... I enjoyed both Old Town Scottsdale, and Tempe, when I visited this past May.  They both have a nightlife and good food options.  Tempe does have a younger crowd than Old Town, but I didn’t feel out of place in either (I’m late 30’s).

The Phoenician.  It is beautiful and not very long.  There are 3 9 hole courses there.  Make sure one of the 9's u play is the course that ends with the par 3 behind the hotel carved into the mountain. 

We went there years ago and I played some nice places I got on with my PGA card.  Then one night we went to The Phoenician hotel for drinks...and I saw the holes in the mountain and never forgot seeing them. Now, 20 years later we were back out there for her work and I played there.

Nice outdoor patio at the hotel for drinks too.

Here's a few pics...

IMAG1152.jpg

IMAG1145.jpg

IMAG1154.jpg

• Administrator

Don't play TPC Scottsdale. Ugh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 5:26 PM, iacas said:

Don't play TPC Scottsdale. Ugh.

Or the Phoenician. She said she didn't want to spend much money so she doesn't have to worry about those two anyway. That is the most overrated course in the Valley. There is only 18 holes there now too.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

Note: This thread is 2333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!