IGNORED

Plasti Dipped my M2 driver and M1 3 wood!

klineka
Note: This thread is 2354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did a little DIY Sunday project today and used some leftover plasti dip I had from another project to cover up the white area on the crowns of my M2 driver and M1 3 wood. I had read and see pictures of other people doing this to their M series clubs and I liked how it looked so I figured I'd give it a shot. I had a couple small dings on the 3 wood and a pretty decent scuff on the driver which I wasnt a fan of looking at and this covered them up perfectly.

I know there are some sites that would refinish the clubs if I sent it to them, but I have a golf trip coming up in a couple weeks so I wanted something I could do myself. I know this might not appeal to some people, but I really like how they turned out. One of the main reasons I chose plasti dip over actual paint is because I can simply peel this off if I decide I dont like it or want to trade/sell either club. I did the driver 2 separate times because I wasnt happy with how it turned out the first time. The plasti dip came off no problem and didnt leave any residue behind and I am much happier with how the second attempt turned out. I weighed the M2 before and after applying the plasti dip, and both times the scale said 195 grams so I dont think there should be any real difference in club performance. I put 3 layers on the M1 3 wood and 2 thicker layers on the M2 driver. I didnt do any special prep work on the white areas first either, just wiped them down with a wet paper towel to get all the dirt off.

I have not hit any balls with them yet, so not sure how it will hold up over time, but I will add more pictures in a few weeks after some range sessions and a few rounds.

Here are some pics, let me know what you think!

20171112_211001.thumb.jpg.eca59fc6d616c1576264732373ce7b2a.jpgSnapchat-2103238134.thumb.jpg.51c65721f4cb508f0b676f0450cb5632.jpg

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, klineka said:

I have not hit any balls with them yet, so not sure how it will hold up over time, but I will add more pictures in a few weeks after some range sessions and a few rounds.

Here are some pics, let me know what you think!

It looks good. I'm not a big fan of the white on the TaylorMade clubs. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 hours ago, billchao said:

It looks good. I'm not a big fan of the white on the TaylorMade clubs. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up.

Thanks! I think it should hold up pretty decent, a friend and I have used plasti dip on car rims to protect them in the winter from salt and snow and we havent noticed any chipping or peeling off on those and they have been on the winter rims for 2 winters going on a 3rd winter. Since the spray is only on the top of the crown and not on the face, I'm hoping it will last a decent amount of time. I'd be happy if it last 6 months to a year before needing to be applied again

Edited by klineka

3 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Pretty sharp looking. Wonder if it changes the weight of the club. 

Thanks! I did the 3 wood first and forgot to weigh it, but I weighed the driver head both before and after applying the plasti dip and it was 195 grams both times. 

Well done.  This should have been Taylormade's original color scheme in my opinion.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

9 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

Well done.  This should have been Taylormade's original color scheme in my opinion.

So do i. And if i had one of these drivers id look into doing what @klineka did. But black on black kinda blends in to every club out there. When you see someone on TV or the course swinging that club, you know what it is. Its good marketing. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, klineka said:

Thanks! I did the 3 wood first and forgot to weigh it, but I weighed the driver head both before and after applying the plasti dip and it was 195 grams both times. 

Huh?

The plastic-dip weighed 0 grams? Obviously that can't be right. I have a hard time believing it weighed less than a gram, or even less than +/- the accuracy of your scale (three to four grams)?

Four grams would change your swingweight about two points on a driver.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Huh?

The plastic-dip weighed 0 grams? Obviously that can't be right. I have a hard time believing it weighed less than a gram, or even less than +/- the accuracy of your scale (three to four grams)?

Four grams would change your swingweight about two points on a driver.

I set it on my digital food scale in my kitchen. It doesnt go to tenths of grams, just to whole grams, but I'll double check it again when I get home from work and make sure it still says 195 grams. It's entirely possible that the scale isnt very accurate as it was a cheap (~$10) scale from Walmart I believe.

Since I painted the driver twice, I think I still have the original coating that I peeled off the driver. I'll weigh that separately too and see if the scale detects any weight to that. 

I'd be surprised if it was more than a gram or so, especially since I only painted a portion of the crown, maybe half of the total surface area of the top of the club, at the most, and I only used two coats for the driver.

2 hours ago, klineka said:

Thanks! I think it should hold up pretty decent, a friend and I have used plasti dip on car rims to protect them in the winter from salt and snow and we havent noticed any chipping or peeling off on those and they have been on the winter rims for 2 winters going on a 3rd winter. Since the spray is only on the top of the crown and not on the face, I'm hoping it will last a decent amount of time. I'd be happy if it last 6 months to a year before needing to be applied again

That's good to know. I assume it's legal and you didn't make the club non-conforming with it?

I have a putter I painted and after a few rounds it's already getting scuffed and scratched up. I'm probably going to have to sand it down to reapply the paint and add a clear coat to protect it, but I'm concerned that I'm going to be constantly touching it up. It would be good to know if this stuff is a viable alternative.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

That's good to know. I assume it's legal and you didn't make the club non-conforming with it?

I have a putter I painted and after a few rounds it's already getting scuffed and scratched up. I'm probably going to have to sand it down to reapply the paint and add a clear coat to protect it, but I'm concerned that I'm going to be constantly touching it up. It would be good to know if this stuff is a viable alternative.

To be completely honest, I didnt even look that up or consider if it would make it non-conforming. :hmm: Now I'll have to do some research 

• Administrator

You're not painting the face. You're fine.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, klineka said:

To be completely honest, I didnt even look that up or consider if it would make it non-conforming. :hmm: Now I'll have to do some research 

I ask all the tough questions :smartass:

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Plasti Dip would weigh more than a thin layer of spray paint right?

I would assume yes.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, iacas said:

You're not painting the face. You're fine.

I was interested in a club that had been altered in this way but with cerakote that was listed on eBay (because it looked cool). I was conerned about conforming so I emailed my rules question to the USGA.

I had a couple back and forth emails and a phone call with Jeff Banchansky and he said without doing the testing to prove whether or not it was conforming after addition of the materials the USGA could not say it was conforming. 

He said if you are interested in staying conforming it is better to not make any alterations and just play it like it comes from the manufacturer.

Don't shoot the messenger. Maybe he was erring on the conservative side. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Shooting29 said:

Maybe he was erring on the conservative side. 

Yes, that's what they do, because you're communicating with the USGA, and if you're not completely accurate in how you describe it, he doesn't want to say "yeah, you should be good" and then have you get DQed for a non-conforming driver.

Lead tape, etc. is allowed. Basically anything not on the clubface is usually okay, so long as it's not a fin or something to affect the performance. (Lead tape affects how a club performs, though, of course.)

Note: This thread is 2354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!