IGNORED

Smart watches

Ty_Webb
Note: This thread is 2293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all

i am looking at buying a smart watch to use as a gps. I have a couple of Garmin watches I’m looking at and there are a couple of things I’m not sure about. 

One of the watches I’m considering has a barametric altimeter. Would that be in breach? 

It also has a heart rate monitor which I want because it helps me track how (un)fit I am. I was looking at the rules and decisions and I don’t see anything referencing a heart rate monitor, but there is a letter to device manufacturers on the USGA site which specifically calls out heart rate as something that isn’t allowed (I can’t imagine ever using that information to help my game and it’s measurable by putting your fingers on your wrist anyway, so colour me thinking that’s ridiculous). Thoughts?

my decision is between the approach s60, the forerunner 935 and the vivoactive 3. The s60 doesn’t have a heart rate monitor which I thought was a drawback but now I’m wondering if it’s a plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

We have a thread somewhere on heart rate monitors so look at that. I think the gist was that your watch face can’t show it and you can’t access that information but if you slip up you are in breach.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can't see how an altimeter contravenes 14-3 or IV 5. It only tells you the altitude of the spot where you are standing, not the slope to the next target.

Edited by Rulesman

10 hours ago, iacas said:

We have a thread somewhere on heart rate monitors so look at that. I think the gist was that your watch face can’t show it and you can’t access that information but if you slip up you are in breach.

Here's that thread, in case you want to reference it, @Ty_Webb:

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Here's that thread, in case you want to reference it, @Ty_Webb:

Thank you - you may colour me surprised. That a heart rate monitor *might* assist you in your play is somewhat ridiculous. My watch might assist me in my play because hypothetically if I know it's been more than 2 hours since I ate a proper meal my blood sugar drops and I might get weak. Knowing that would mean that I need to club up a little bit. I'm making this up, but if you're going to label the word "might" as broadly as it needs to be to hoover up a heart rate monitor, then I think it catches an awful lot more things too. 

Out of curiosity, what's the standing of a golf cart? If I'm riding in a cart can I put my score in for handicap? I don't see an exception for that anywhere and I don't think they were in use in the 1700s when the rules were originally conceived.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

Thank you - you may colour me surprised. That a heart rate monitor *might* assist you in your play is somewhat ridiculous.

As you can read in the topic it makes sense. It can let you know when you’re anxious, need recovery time, angry, etc.

It is mainly that it’s an artificial device.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...

@Ty_Webb  Did you get a gps watch, and if so, which one? I've been half wanting the S60, but it seems pricey for my level of play. I agree that heart rate monitor against the rules seems silly... what about the whole gps thing, isn't that an artificial device that assists your game?

Barbara

www.golfgirl.net 

I got a Garmin forerunner 935. It’s more of a focused exercise watch than a golf watch. The additional things the s60 does are basically worthless to me because they are non-conforming. The extra things the 935 does over the s60 were worth it to me. Heart rate for example. 

7 hours ago, Golfer gal said:

what about the whole gps thing, isn't that an artificial device that assists your game?

It's no different to a yardage book or distance posts.

9 hours ago, Rulesman said:

It's no different to a yardage book or distance posts.

It’s not that simple, is it? The devices are allowed by local rule, right? Most of the tours don’t allow them (yet). https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=49&Rule=14

Rule 14-3

Rangefinders and other Electronic Distance Measuring Devices

Q.Is it legal under the Rules of Golf to use a Rangefinder or other Electronic Distance Measuring device?

A.The use of a distance-measuring device is a breach of Rule 14-3, which states that during a stipulated round, the player shall not use any artificial device or unusual equipment for the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions which might affect his play (Rule 14-3). 

The USGA Handicap System requires players to post scores made when a device which measures distance only has been used (regardless of whether the Committee has adopted the Local Rule described below). Scores made while using a device which measures other conditions which might affect play (e.g., wind speed or the slope of the ground) are not acceptable for Handicapping purposes. Please refer to Section 5-1 of the USGA Handicap System Manual regarding acceptable scores. USGA Handicap Home Page 

The Committee may, by Local Rule, permit the use of devices that measure distance only (i.e., the device may not be used to measure other conditions such as wind-speed or the slope of the ground). (Rule 14-3 Note and Decision 14-3/0.5) 

The recommended language for such a Local Rule can be found in Appendix I; Part B; Section 9. 

If the Committee has adopted a Local Rule permitting the use of distance-measuring devices, these devices may be shared by players (see analogous Decision 5-1/5 regarding the sharing of equipment other than clubs). 

Additionally, please refer to the Definition of "Advice" and Decision 8-1/2 which clarify that the distance between objects is a matter of public information and therefore not advice.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

2 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

It’s not that simple, is it? The devices are allowed by local rule, right? Most of the tours don’t allow them (yet). https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=49&Rule=14

I think you will find that the tour's reasoning is rather different to most clubs and courses played by amateurs.

But have a look at this - Section A Clause 7

http://www.pga.info/media/217471/14finalhardcard.pdf

Note: This thread is 2293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!