IGNORED

Most Difficult Course You’ve Played

Note: This thread is 1324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Rippy_72 said:

I did that once at an especially long course somewhere in Arizona when on a business trip.  I gave the starter a nice tip and asked if he could pair me with a decent group playing the tips.  On the first hole, this guy Jason clears the dogleg bunker with a three wood.  So, my driver ends up right into the bunker (I made par anyway).  Next hole is 235 par 3 to a front pin, it was probably a 4 iron but being conservative I hit 3 iron to the middle.  This Jason dude asks me if I hit 5 or 6 iron?  I am like, ya right.  What did you hit.  He shows me the 6 iron.  Then, I noticed around 6 drivers in his bag and I ask why?  He says, I usually break a shaft or a couple faces in a round.  He was actually a pretty good player as were the other two.  He snapped one on a 595 yard par 5 and I actually outdrove him, he needed 5 iron from 260 and I also hit 5 iron but from 225.  A blue moon event, usually you get a 12 Hcp thinking they can handle 7400 and 140 slope from the tips.  One of the players was a professional bowler (one of the top in the world), he hit ok but putting was lights out.

I forgot how hard the Cashen course was in a freshening rainy gale, not quite the eviscerating experience as The Prince but a serious wake up call.  I also played in an open competition in Connemara North of Galway in Gale Force 9, I could hardly walk.  On a 400 yard par 4, I hit driver, driver, 8 iron. On the 394 yard hole coming back the other way, I flew the green with a 3 wood and hit 9 iron back into the breeze for a par.  Insane. About 45 mph wind, around 8 clubs.

Reminds me of an encounter a buddy and I had a few years ago. We were a twosome and caught up to another twosome waiting on a tee behind a foursome. They suggested making a foursome to cut down on our waiting and we agreed. These guys bombed the ball a freaking mile! On a 400 yard dogleg right my buddy and I hit Drivers past the bend for a clear shot at the green. Had to hit it at least 250 to do that, as the 150 markers are just past the bend. 

One of the other guys hits an iron up over the tall pines in the inside corner of the dogleg and cuts the corner! Outdrove us by 50 yards. My buddy asked what he hit, and he showed us the club and said, "5 iron!" My buddy burst out, "Aw, F U man!" and started laughing as did the guy. On another hole, a 510-515 yard par 5, this same dude hit a driver well inside the 150 markers! Absolutely mind boggling! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 7 months later...

There is this course near Canfield Ohio called "Kensington" I have played it a few times in the past, but during this Labor day weekend I took my wife there with me. If you are in the area this is a MUST course to play. It is BEAUTIFUL!! Lots of sand, and water. Five different tee levels. We paid 58 dollars for the two of us and a cart. This may have been a senior rate, but I have paid a lot more for a course that could not even equal the likes of this course.

If in the area, please check it out. The people are great, very professional.

THANK YOU KENSINGTON!!!

Not sure which way to pick this....some were harder due to weather or playing in a tournament (course set up). On a daily basis I think the toughest one I've played was probably Pointe-o-woods (Michigan) or maybe Fox Hollow (Florida). Tournament wise I would go with the Scarlet Course at Ohio State. Weather...no doubt, Carnoustie.  Brutal.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Like all of us I have played on some tough golf courses.  Gimmicky courses as well that made them tough.

The Wilds in Minnesota has been rated the toughest at a Slope of 154 and Course Rating of 74.4.  I have played that course often and was scheduled to play it again today but COVID Quarantine forced a temporary cancelation.  While this is rated a tough course for me my current home course Southview CC is the toughest course I have played on.

Southview doesn't break the Top 10 for outside rankings, Slope of 135 Rating of 71.6 yet for me it is the toughest course I have played on.  

Comparing the The Wilds to Southview - all from the tips.  95% of the time I play the next tees forward.

Yardage - The Wilds wins out at 7205 yards vs Southview at 6404 yards - pure length easy choice

Fairways - both are excellently groomed bent grass.  Southview is a lot narrower,  precision off the tee is critical with Southview.  The Wilds is no slouch but the fairways are wider, more forgiving for long ball hitters.

Variation in terrain: Southview hands down is crazy tough compared to The Wilds.  Middle of the fairway in Southview on every Par 4 and Par 5 the ball can be below your feet, above your feet, uphill lie, downhill lie and combinations of all.  Hit a perfect Drive down the middle and you have to pay attention to where the ball is in your stance on the next shot or you are in trouble.  The Wilds has some of this, but no where to the extent of Southview.

Off the Fairway:  Southview has nasty rough the entire length of the course and around the greens it is downright scary.  The Wilds has tough rough but yet it is still a Private Public so for pace of play reasons it is easier.  Southview's rough calls out for a proper short iron out into the fairway.  Try to do to much and you will card a big number real fast.  Also tree jail is nasty in Southview, old school Traditional course.  Trees are cut up so you can hit under but there was architectural thought behind the trees.  So many times you just need to take your medicine and find a punch out.  But hero shots call out and then that sound of a golf ball bouncing off of trees just deflates you.

Around the Greens:  Southview is tougher - you have to know how to hit a flop shot or you will put some big numbers on the score card.  Not two ways about it.  And if you are above the hole, long by even 18" you have one of the scariest shots in golf as the greens really go back to front downhill and are very fast.  12.5 on the slope meter.  The Wilds is no slouch as well and you can build a big number there but you don't need the same flop shot as the rough is easier.  The ball doesn't nestle down deep and is 3/4ths hidden or more.

Approaching the Greens:  Southview has false fronts for many greens, you know the pin placement due to the color of the flag but you can be 15 yards away and not see any of the green.  So many blind shots into so many greens and if you hit it into the wrong spot of the green you will be off and many times in deep trouble.  Going for the middle of green is the safe shot but dang now more times then not you are looking at a 2 putt and not getting up and down.  The Wild is more straight forward, you can see the greens from the 15 yards and get a read on what the ball will do.  They present themselves to get up and down a lot easier if you haven't played the course a lot.

Greens in Regulation:  Easier on The Wild as their greens are a lot bigger, they can be a beast to putt on though but that doesn't mean you will have more 3 putts.  Southview greens are 101 years old and are smaller but they are so much undulation that you have to know how to read greens or you will live in 3 putt land.  Miss the greens here by 3' and you have got to have a nice flop in your arsenal.  Tie as both are a blast to putt on, both roll real nice and both are fast greens.  Fast greens are the best to putt on.

Thus for me Southview is the tougher course, I have the distance off the tee where long courses do not put a strain on my game.  Both courses are fantastic to play and if you get a chance play them both.  A great weekend of golf would be to play 18 on each course.  

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Note: This thread is 1324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!