IGNORED

High handicap 2017 M1 or M2?

Note: This thread is 2291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In the market for a new driver. High handicapper. Getting better, went to the shop today. Both felt great. May have liked the M1 better but might have just really been my quality of shots while using it. 

Many suggestions on what the better choice would be for a high handicapper? Also when do you think the price will go down with the release of M 3/4. 

Thanks!

Did you get to hit either on a launch monitor to see some data?   Although what feels right helps in your decision, the numbers are more of an indication of which one is right for you.  I'm sure the price will go down with the introduction of the new drivers.

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

M2 is more forgiving and just as long if not longer due to weight placement.  I'd go M2 all day long...Plus, less crap to tinker with ( moveable weight).  If u can get your hands on a 2016 M2, I buy that over the 2017.

I have a 2017 M1 I'm going to sell since I got an M2.  I just would rather not have too many options.

On 1/13/2018 at 11:14 PM, Njgolfer8 said:

Wow. Ok. Do you know why the m2 is more forgiving? 

I believe because of rear weight configuration boosting MOI (resistance to twisting from off center hits).  But the most forgiving club is the one you hit best.  As long as you A) tested the two fairly thoroughly on a launch monitor and B) buy the SAME club (shaft, loft, etc) you can't go wrong with getting it offline.  Good luck.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

37 minutes ago, Njgolfer8 said:

Thanks. Problem is that the stores aren’t offering customizable options for the shafts etc for these drivers any longer. 

You can still get custom fit for the club, and then buy the clubhead and the shaft separately via ebay/preowned sites.

I went to a TaylorMade fitting, and was fit for the M2 and a specific shaft. I went to ebay, and got a great deal on a 2017 M2 that had a senior flex shaft in it (since the market is less for senior flex models). I then ordered the shaft I was custom fit for with the appropriate TaylorMade tip, swapped the shafts out, boom. 

Ended up with the brand new 2017 M2 head and the brand new shaft I was custom fit for for less than $300 total.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

31 minutes ago, Njgolfer8 said:

Interesting. Wonder where i can get custom fit then as I’d be buying he clubs mostly online

Tom Wishon Golf is one place you can go to.

You can get a proper fitting from many fitters in your area. Not sure where you live, but we have a bunch of them around my area.

Look at the PGA club fitters or Tom Wishon Golf.

Personally, I haven't found a need to get fit beyond what they offer at "Callaway Days" and such.

Go M2 because it's a lot easier to fit. Less knobs is generally better unless you are a really consistent ball striker and need those few last couple hundred rpm or whatever optimized.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks a lot for your help.  I’m certainly not a consistent hitter. 

Since im in the market was thinking about waiting for the m4 to see how I like it. Or wait for a price drop of the m2. What do you think?

Also. I love in nj

1 minute ago, Njgolfer8 said:

Since im in the market was thinking about waiting for the m4 to see how I like it. Or wait for a price drop of the m2. What do you think?

Also. I love in nj

The answer to your question mainly depends on your budget. If price is not an issue, then test both and choose whichever you like more. The coloring is slightly off too between the M2 and M4, just something else to consider

If you have a specific budget, look for a used 2016 or 2017 model M2. You will be able to save a lot of money that way. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

8 minutes ago, Njgolfer8 said:

Thanks a lot for your help.  I’m certainly not a consistent hitter. 

Also. I love in nj

Ask @billchao, he's in your neck of the woods. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!